PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Legend 2006

dbrk
05-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Yesterday's three hour plus ride began in Mendon, New York, which sits at the bottom of the Lake Ontario basin about ten miles south of the eastern edge of the city of Rochester. Once farms, much of Mendon turning into fancy sprawl with some McMansion sub-divisions but there are still many charming houses, fields of green, and horse farms, and lots of swirling, nearly directionless empty roads. We usually head south deeper into the Finger Lakes, back towards my house in Bristol. My riding pal Jim is not keen to ride the steep hills out of my driveway, which is a requirement in Bristol, so we usually start somewhere rolling, like Mendon or Canandaigua. It's about ten miles or twelve miles of rolling east and west to make the next major southern point, which is the old 5&20 paralleling the Thruway but south of it some miles. Anyway the riding and the weather changes dramatically south of the village of Bloomfield and into Bristol. There are at least five zones of weather over this course. Rolling hills take the place of any flats and it becomes impossible to avoid long, steady climbs and descents as you move south into the Finger Lakes. This is, imho, some of the best riding in America, comparable to Italy and France: many, many empty roads, green fields, sparse population, nice lake views. It's easy to stay off the major roads if you know where you are going. Pays to be a local.

I noticed I was feeling good about 45 minutes out. Ever notice that you have NO IDEA how you are going to feel until you actually ride? The morning had sent no signals and sometimes when I think, "Gee, it should be good today..." I find that it's just average and others when I feel numb, tired, or preoccupied I end up happy as a clam (on a bike). The bike was tuned superbly and my mix and match of parts was working just fine. But I was working pretty okay too.

The Legend is mostly DA9 but for the Campagnolo front derailleur, TA Zephyr crankset and bb, and Campagnolo Proton wheelset (with a 13-26 rear). I have 28mm Continental 2000 Ultras mounted, some of my favorite tires. Shifting was consistent and three previous rides had worked out saddle placement and height and that elusive piece of the reach. No two of my bikes are set up identically and I aspire to no such thing. I find the fit I like on each bike and for the most part this is close, but I adjust my points of contact and feel comfortable on nearly any bike after awhile. To love a bike, it has to have a _familiar_ fit, as if I am sitting _in_ it rather than just _on_ it. I can make this out in a few rides. Some bikes, like the mithral-colored Rivendell or the Ebisu Road push you back _into_ the Brooks B17 and you want to stay planted, settled, in the hammock. Others, like the Sachs invite you to a groove that lets you find comfort in many, many spots, as if the _whole_ bike were as one with you and the fit. The Legend falls into this second category. I can plant myself but unlike the randonneurs that want to you to _stay_ in the saddle, the Legend wants you to take advantage of its multiple positions and dynamics. The bike lives and moves with you and as you move the bike, so the bike makes you feel comfortable, at ease, and so allows you to take further advantage of its virtues. I found myself seated on some long climbs but then attacking and rising easily out of the saddle on others. I found myself deep in the drops for miles and then sitting up, hands off the bars, changing my jacket, eating a bar, and taking a virtual snooze while not losing a stroke. The Legend was happy holding a tight line, absorbing an importunate pavement, and responding when asked. When I wanted the bike to do nothing but go easy and straight without any effort, it did. When I wanted it to turn hard or accelerate at the crest of a climb out of the saddle, it did so perfectly.

I've not owned a Legend so gentle on my person or easy on my mind. It's truly a pleasure. Now, I love the ride of titanium bicycles. No doubt I prefer the ride of titanium to anything but the sweetest steel. The aesthetics of ti don't match lugged steel but that's a bit like comparing Boccherini to Shankar: different sorts of music, both virtuosi and wonderous but not one "over" the other. Serotta has delivered a Legend that works beautifully for me.

We rode down into Bristol, less than a mile from our house, avoiding the last big climb it takes to reach our spot (second highest in the county), and then turned north again back to Mendon. It's sort of downhill back to Mendon but more rolling, nothing flat for long. The wind changed from SSE to a strong westerly and kicked up something fierce for the last twenty minutes. I was tired and riding into the teeth of the wind but the bike was steady and happy, nothing could move it from its line, a good sign that the F3 fork is stellar and the frame is straight. We'd gone hard and sometimes fast. I was taking each sort of opportunity: long descents, long, steady climbs, sharp turns with gravel spots, rollers, and turns to make the bike respond, trying to do each differently. Again, my overall impression was that the Legend welcomed input, responded to however you _wanted_ to ride the bike, and so behaved perfectly under the exact circumstances to which you put it. It is a lively, active bike but not one that tells you how to ride it or invites you to pay attention or suffer the consequences. The ride was compliant and soft but never did it rub, skip, or fail to please. But most of all, the ride was fun and easy to love: ride the bike hard, the bike loves you back. Go so far as to ignore the bike and still the bike loves you back.

When I think of my Keepers, I think of bikes that never fail to please no matter how I feel. Some of these tell you what to expect as soon as you get on them. Others invite you to create the experience. The Legend does the latter.

There are so many ways to love cycling but this Serotta is surely an unmistakeable choice that cannot fail to make you love it even more.

dbrk

p.s. Pictures of the bike in the Gallery

Ginger
05-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Douglas,
I am happy to hear, that after all of your adventures Serotta, that the bike built specifically for you, is a "good" bike.
Mary Ann

djg
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
It's been a while--quite a while, I suppose--but I remember those Mendon hills well. Ok, some not as well as others, but I remember the gestalt, more or less. Nice rolling countryside at the time.

Pittsford-Mendon Senior High School, class o' '78, alive and kicking. I think I still have the mug, and maybe some high school letters, if the wife didn't throw them out when she pitched my trophies last year.

So the bike sounds nice, eh?

Fixed
05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
bro great review on a great bike sounds like you are going to enjoy this summer .
cheers

Ken Robb
05-19-2006, 12:14 AM
hey dave, it's just your size--get in line. :)

Ray
05-19-2006, 06:13 AM
bro great review on a great bike sounds like you are going to enjoy this summer .
cheers
But Douglas, when you get a new bike and you love it, even love it a lot, you've still got 40-50 others that need your attention. So how often are you likely to ride the Legend this summer? Half a dozen times? 20-30? More? Less? Not that it matters, but I'm curious. When I've gotten a new bike that I've REALLY liked, I ride it ALL the time or pretty close to all the time. But you can't possibly do that, can you?

No implied right or wrong here, just curious.

-Ray

dbrk
05-19-2006, 06:48 AM
But Douglas, when you get a new bike and you love it, even love it a lot, you've still got 40-50 others that need your attention. So how often are you likely to ride the Legend this summer? Half a dozen times? 20-30? More? Less? Not that it matters, but I'm curious. When I've gotten a new bike that I've REALLY liked, I ride it ALL the time or pretty close to all the time. But you can't possibly do that, can you?

No implied right or wrong here, just curious.

-Ray

I actually do ride nearly all the bikes, you're right. Some see very little time because of how I value them historically and want to keep them---still they all go out, the '61 Herse, the '63 Herse, etc. I do try to rotate, making a point of not riding the same bike for more than a few days at a time. Some bikes get more time than others, by a long shot: blue Sachs, all the Mariposas, silver Rivendell, Ebisu Road, Hampsten titanium, 650Bs and Tournesol.

In this case I rode the same bike four days long in a row. That's enough to find the sweet fit spot and determine what it's like. Going back to it after a break usually tells me even more. I'm not the same when I come back to it (fitness, health, temper, etc.) and then I get to really give it a place. Some bikes like the Sachs/Mariposa/Rivendells (there are several of each because they are sooo sweet to me), are Keepers because they are so right every single time. Others are wonderful but they can be replaced (production bikes of one sort or another) or I'm done, I'm happy to have had the experience, my heart says to move on.

Yeah, I'm lucky, spolied, whatever anyone wants to say is fine. I've been at this buying/riding/selling almost thirty years. I didn't start out nor have I ever tried to be a bike "collector." It's just sort of happened. I tend to "collect," such as it is, in marque. I now have very few bikes of only one, like the Cooper, Waterford, or my original purchase 1972 Mondia. I'm not looking for variety in marque, just in style and feel. I still try "new" things once in awhile but my tastes have more clearly settled in recent years both asethetically (no more slopers for me...but plenty of room for anything Dario does) and practically since we have moved to the country. When I lived in the city of Rochester I used my Rivendell All-Arounder to commute to work. No more commuting, unless it's a century day. When I moved to flater, smoother Canandaigua I wasn't AS interested as I am now in fat tires for pave-like roads. In Bristol you really love fat tires for gravel roads. When I go to Toronto to visit Mr Barry I miss "urban riding" with all the traffic and the notion of a basket to the market, but when I ride a skinny 23mm tire out of my driveway I think it's not the best choice.

In sum, if that is ever possible for prolix-me, I have strongly formed opinions based on lots of bikes and plenty of time to ride them (I make my hours for work during the height of cycling season, of course). I don't resent other people's choices or preferences but I have been lucky to have lots of different experiences. Opining views, thinking about fit options and styles of riding, even designing a fair number of bikes, gives me something I like to do in addition to reading very old books in archaic languages that nobody (trust me, nobody) really cares about. Whether folks care about my cycling opinions is as irrelevant to me as whether they like, care, or disdain my interest in Sanskrit. I write and talk about bikes for the same reason I write about Sanskrit literature and yoga philosophers: because I like to. You gotta' just live your own life, as you so well understand.

dbrk

Serotta PETE
05-19-2006, 09:24 AM
. You gotta' just live your own life, as you so well understand.

dbrk

Nicely said........................

Look forward to seeing you in AUGUST....THANKS

Keith A
05-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Great ride report (as always) and I echo Ginger's remarks -- I'm really happy that you finally have THE right Legend for you.

93legendti
08-30-2006, 12:31 PM
dbrk, how long are the chainstays on your Legend?

Skrawny
08-30-2006, 05:00 PM
DBRK,
I love reading your posts, and this one does not disappoint.

Despite any aesthetic misgivings you may have, did you ever test a Legend with the ST seatstays? What did you think?
Thanks,
-s

dbrk
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
snip...Despite any aesthetic misgivings you may have, did you ever test a Legend with the ST seatstays? What did you think? -s

I have ridden an ST Ottrott and a non-ST Ottrott but not a Legend. Honestly, I really couldn't detect the ST effect, as it were.

The chainstays on my 59cm Legend are 41.5cm: everything but the top tube (shortened to 57.5cm) is stock geometry. While "custom" geometry is an important aspect of Serotta's offering, I think of the stock geometry chart as a basic template for how a Serotta "should" ride. This is entirely my own interpretation but it is also the case that I fit a 59cm bike without much adjustment. It all depends what you want from the design. I wanted to focus on Serotta's design template even if there really isn't one.

dbrk

93legendti
08-30-2006, 07:08 PM
...The chainstays on my 59cm Legend are 41.5cm: everything but the top tube (shortened to 57.5cm) is stock geometry...dbrk

dbrk, do the Riv RP's fit in those stays?

dbrk
08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
dbrk, do the Riv RP's fit in those stays?

Yes. RuffyTuffys (basically, the same tire) mounted to Open Pros fit with safety front and rear.

dbrk