PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to pick this up...

JAllen
10-15-2015, 08:36 PM
My friend rear ended a car about 2 years ago with this and now wants to sell it since he can't find the time to repair or replace it. He's going to sell it for about $85 and I expressed interest. I'll be able to look at it closely this Saturday, but wanted to get an idea of what I should be looking for (if I should look at all even). I'm worried that the frame could be damaged from the wreck. I also don't know anything about the bike as far as how people liked/ like them in general. I'm sorry the pictures aren't the best, but I'm going to put what he sent to me.

shovelhd
10-15-2015, 08:42 PM
I'd say that's about $84 too much. What you want to look very closely at are the undersides of the tubes and lugs on the top and down tubes where they meet the head tube. Any paint cracking, buckling, creases, or funny bends or angles, walk away. Looking at how twisted that fork is, I'd be surprised if the frame wasn't damaged.

cinema
10-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Do you need a bike for that cheap that you'd also have to invest in for repairs? Are you traveling to LA any time soon? I have a fully functional 80s trek elance 55/56cm with a tricolor group you can have for the same price + a 6 pack.

you would have to pay me to take that bike for the room it would take up in my pad.

rustychisel
10-15-2015, 08:46 PM
First photo looks as though the seat tube is bent. I'm betting it's not. The front wheel might be good to go, even... if he hit the car square then only the fork might have been damaged. That's the best possible scenario - buy new fork - fix up rest of bike. Ride.

... on the other hand, the whole thing might be out of whack.

Anyhoo, about 35 years ago I rear-ended a bus, square on, folded my fork alongside the downtube, walked home. Had a new one made by a local builder, cost me a friggin' fortune - I recall it was $25 painted. Had that bike for another 6~7 years until it was stolen.

pinkshogun
10-15-2015, 09:21 PM
aluminum main triangle so you cant safely bend it back if it was tweaked

unterhausen
10-15-2015, 09:31 PM
I really have a hard time believing that a fork can be that bent with no damage to the main triangle of the frame. I would look for rippling under the DT and TT.

rustychisel
10-15-2015, 09:33 PM
I really have a hard time believing that a fork can be that bent with no damage to the main triangle of the frame. I would look for rippling under the DT and TT.

Believe it. Of course, look carefully. Looks like a steel frame to me, BTW.

Louis
10-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Not worth it unless it's free.

Odds are very high that the TT and the DT are wrinkled near the HT. (that's what happened to my old steel Trek when a truck pulled out in front of me with no warning)

Unless you want to play around with tearing the bike down I wouldn't mess with it even if it's free.

mg2ride
10-15-2015, 09:52 PM
That bike was not worth $85 before he wreck it. Seriously, it wasn't.

Pass

regularguy412
10-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Regardless of the 'shape' it's in -- make sure it FITS you. From the looks of the (lack of) exposed seat post, the bike was a little too big for the previous owner. Take good ST and TT measurements and compare to your current bikes.

Mike in AR:beer:

dave thompson
10-15-2015, 10:02 PM
On the best of days that bike in pristine as new condition may be worth $85. The bike you're looking at isn't.

ultraman6970
10-15-2015, 10:05 PM
For free worth your time, but as it is well.. doubt you will even get your money back flipping the parts. Sure the frame is bent to the side too.

JAGI410
10-15-2015, 10:06 PM
That crankset would likely sell for $60. I'd just part it out and wouldn't even attempt making it rideable again.

sw3759
10-15-2015, 10:09 PM
kind of does look like one of those old Raleighs with bonded aluminum main tubes.hard to tell.i agree with the others, not worth it,maybe for free if you just want something to tear apart .i cant imagine that frame not sustaining some kind of damage,by looking at the fork anyways

bikinchris
10-15-2015, 10:18 PM
I have to agree. He needs to part that bike out. Might get $100 for the brakes, BB and crankset and wheels assuming the bearings aren't shot and they are true.

JAllen
10-15-2015, 11:22 PM
Some good advice all around. I'll be seeing him Saturday anyhow so I'll inspect it then.

Cinema, PM me pics. Por favor!

Nags&Ducs
10-16-2015, 12:13 AM
Yeah, what everyone said- NOT WORTH IT!!! Tell your friend, you'll do him a proper by removing junk from his garage to free up space. I seriously wouldn't give $10 for that thing! I can almost guarantee that there is a damaged flared head tube, even if it isn't visually evident. Even if there are no other signs of frame damage such as crinkled top or down tubes.

What do you need a bike like that for? Is it to practice restoring a bike?

rcnute
10-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Is this like an ironic Portland joke? :beer:

Ryan

malcolm
10-16-2015, 09:08 AM
that bike was made in '85 and I think its steel. Trek made a skinny tube aluminum bike at that time but I think it was a 2000 or 2100 model. I believe the three digit models were all steel, could be wrong though.

I'd be shocked it the down tube isn't buckled somewhere.

JAllen
10-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah, what everyone said- NOT WORTH IT!!! Tell your friend, you'll do him a proper by removing junk from his garage to free up space. I seriously wouldn't give $10 for that thing! I can almost guarantee that there is a damaged flared head tube, even if it isn't visually evident. Even if there are no other signs of frame damage such as crinkled top or down tubes.

What do you need a bike like that for? Is it to practice restoring a bike?
Gotta catch them all. That's the point! No, actually I wanted it before he wrecked it. It would be very different from the other two in the stable.
Is this like an ironic Portland joke? :beer:

Ryan

He lives in Beaverton. The ironic jokes are a little different out there. ;)

dgauthier
10-16-2015, 09:17 AM
It's worth less than nothing. You couldn't pay me to ride it.

bobswire
10-16-2015, 09:18 AM
This popped into my head after reading the OP, "with friends like this who needs enemies".
Needs new fork, possible stressed frame, parts meh. Not worth $85, if it was mine I'd give it away.

jmoore
10-16-2015, 09:21 AM
That bike would make a good toilet paper holder or shop stool.

AngryScientist
10-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Yes, you should pick it up; and then put it down.

ntb1001
10-16-2015, 11:21 AM
It does look like one of the aluminum bikes Raleigh made. I think it had the main triangle made from aluminum....but...it looks like garbage to me.

pinkshogun
10-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Technimum 450. you can see the Alcoa sticker on the seat tube

pdmtong
10-16-2015, 11:54 AM
if you have more money you'd like to spend on junk, let me know. I have some stuff I would let go for another $85.

AJM100
10-16-2015, 12:24 PM
geometry is toast . . .

:no:

JAllen
10-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Points taken. Too bad so sad

malcolm
10-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Technimum 450. you can see the Alcoa sticker on the seat tube

Your right I saw the numbers on the seat tube and assumed trek. It's a technium. Saddest part is I used to own almost the exact bike and didn't even recognize it. Age sucks

JAllen
10-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Your right I saw the numbers on the seat tube and assumed trek. It's a technium. Saddest part is I used to own almost the exact bike and didn't even recognize it. Age sucks

How did you like it?

malcolm
10-16-2015, 02:49 PM
It was a long time ago. I bought it fresh out of the military. I recall it being quite flexy and didn't keep it long. In fairness they made three or more levels of this bike and the one I had was the lowest so you can imagine the wheels and components were not great.

Seramount
10-16-2015, 02:51 PM
#basket-case

cruise CL, surely you can find a more worthy project bike for $85.