PDA

View Full Version : Ebay seller issue, what would you do?

Kingfisher
10-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Ordered a nice, lightly used Dura Ace 7701 crankset from new seller on ebay last wk. Crankset arrived today and looks good, but, the inner ring is 42t not the 39T he described in the listing.

I just emailed the seller and told him, but just stated the facts. I don't want to return this crankset, I feel like just finding a 39t ring myself and switch it out, but I feel I should be compensated in some way for this.

What would you do to resolve this...btw, seller has a no returns policy.

RyanH
10-15-2015, 06:03 PM
The lack of a returns policy doesn't mean anything as long as you paid with Paypal. I would ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of a similar 39t ring. If he doesn't like that, he can cover the cost of the return.

Cicli
10-15-2015, 06:04 PM
You can open a claim with ebay that the item is not as described. You may end up sending it back though.

CampyorBust
10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Could it be an inexperienced seller that did not even know to check the actual tooth count and went by the specs online?

Regardless the seller needs to take care of this, the product was not as described. It was misrepresented, be it on purpose or by accident. The 渡o returns should have nothing to do with it.

mg2ride
10-15-2015, 07:44 PM
That's the risk of buying used. Move on.

Llewellyn
10-15-2015, 07:51 PM
For all the faffing around that could be involved in trying to resolve this, I'd just buy a 39T ring, put it down to experience and move on.

kramnnim
10-15-2015, 08:33 PM
You did what I would do, state the problem and see what they say. Some sellers will bend over backwards too keep the buyers happy and don't even need to be asked. One guy sent gloves of two different sizes...to correct it, he sent a whole other pair, a nice bottle, and said to keep the mismatched pair.

93legendti
10-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Ask seller to resolve at his/her expense. If response is unsatisfactory, open a claim with Paypal.

rustychisel
10-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Notify seller [as you did], ask for help with fix, move on.

Kingfisher
10-15-2015, 09:26 PM
this is the OP, seller just emailed and profusely apologized. Asked if I wanted refund or he could send 39 tooth ring free of charge.....I took his offer of new ring and will move on. I think I was too quick to judge on this one, thanks for input

CSTRider
10-15-2015, 09:28 PM
The lack of a returns policy doesn't mean anything as long as you paid with Paypal. I would ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of a similar 39t ring. If he doesn't like that, he can cover the cost of the return.

^^^ This is correct. Go through EBay to your purchase history -> click on the titem -> contact seller -> click "i received an item that wasn't as described". You can even provide pictures to prove the item wasn't as described and tell the seller what would be a reasonable remedy. EBay will give seller a reasonable time to respond to you, and if the seller doesn't, you will get a refund. Be sure to keep all communications with seller inside EBay and (as a buyer) you'll come out fine.