PDA

View Full Version : Frame Weight Fierte Steel

kaigerugby
05-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I am looking at s3 true temper steel frame for about $1000 vs the Fierte steel $1195. The S3 for a 58cm compact will come in about 3.1 lbs. Does anyone know how the 2006 Fierte steel compares. Any ride impressions with the new carbon seat stays. I live in a mountain area so weight is an issue if the frame is close to 4 pounds. Thanks for the help.

Grant McLean
05-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey, welcome to the list.

Most cats around here will tell you a few ounces of weight
doesn't matter much. Most published weights in catalogs
and websites are lies... so you have to take it all with a grain
of salt. Serottas ride great. If you have a dealer near by,
try before you buy.

g

DBAD3
05-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I actually weighed a fierte today.

Size 54S with the Kestrel carbon fork sold with it- 5.11 lbs.

Fixed
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
bro i had one and it was great some of the real light steel bikes ride like ... not the fierte it rides great i.m.h.o.
cheers

kaigerugby
05-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the input. The dealer just down the street but he only has 3. Nove, Fierte Ti and CDA unfortunately all the frames are smaller than what I need. They spend most of their time pushing Specialized and then Trek in that order. Again Thanks for all your opinions.

andy mac
05-18-2006, 11:33 PM
hey, just don't fill your water bottle up the last inch.

:beer:

andy.

Argos
05-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I agree the weight is not really an issue, but just as reference, if that 54s weighed in at 5.11 lbs with frame, fork and headset...

The Kestrel fork was at least 550 gm and a mid level headset weighs in around 100gm.

rough math has that frame about 3.6lbs. Nothing to worry about when you factor in the quality of the ride and the quality of the build.

SO, really just re-stateing my case, Serotta is the way to go.

allezdude
05-19-2006, 09:47 AM
i just bought a new s3 tubed waterford rs33- 60 cm- bare frame weight was 3.57 lbs, with waterbottle cage screws and seat binder bolt. if that helps.

FierteTi52
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I am looking at s3 true temper steel frame for about $1000 vs the Fierte steel $1195. The S3 for a 58cm compact will come in about 3.1 lbs. Does anyone know how the 2006 Fierte steel compares. Any ride impressions with the new carbon seat stays. I live in a mountain area so weight is an issue if the frame is close to 4 pounds. Thanks for the help.

The S3 of course will be lighter in weight. However, be aware S3 tubes are extremely thin walled and can be damamged very easy.
BTW- Why are you looking at steel frames if weight is your main concern?
Jeff

kaigerugby
05-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Jeff,
weight is not the main concern, I am trying to maximize ride comfort vs weight vs dollar cost ( New baby has tightened the budget). I guess ifyou can imagine a supply vs demand chart I am looking for something as close to the intersection of those lines as possible. Since I am unable to eat ride anything in my city( lack of bikes other than the big guys) I was hoping for some addtional information from Serotta riders. I have an Aluminum bike already and its ok but looking for a better ride. Ti and carbon are out of the price range. Thanks for all your help.

fierte_poser
05-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Its not heavy, but its not light. Built up with 10sp Centaur and Campy Protons it was around 19.0-19.5 lbs (can't remember exactly) including keo carbon pedals, bottle cages, and empty water bottles. So, its not light if you compare it to a litespeed, but its not a pig.

I think if you are really trying to maximize *only* ride comfort, weight, and dollar cost, you would wind up with a low end CF Trek. In choosing a Serotta, you are getting a top notch handbuilt frame. At $1195, that seems like a good deal to me.

All I can say is, 200+ miles into my Fierte ownership, I really don't notice the bike while I'm riding, which is about the best compliment I can give out. The fit is great (kudos to Pro Peloton and Chris Soden in Boulder), the bike is more than competent, and I can focus on the riding.

As a bonus, it looks dead sexy just sitting still.

Kent

Larry
08-18-2007, 08:03 PM
CDA 2007 with carbon stays and oversized tubeset, CUSTOM.
The bike is absolutely solid regardless of the weight. The front end
is incredibly stable.

For my body weight the Serotta folks designed and built exactly what I need.
Total bike weight with pedals is 18 pounds, 7 ounces.
Sure, I could drop another pound with all new components and carbon
cranks. My used components have alot of life left.....hey it's Campy.
Actually, I do not necessarily think that a lighter bike is better....by any means. Ride stability and balance are big on my list.

Work on the engine, rather than obsessing about a lighter bike.

Steve Hampsten
08-18-2007, 08:34 PM
and how is the warranty on that s3 frame vs. the serotta warranty?

if it was me - and it isn't - i would ignore the difference in weight and pop for the serotta

and welcome to the club

here, have some kool-aid

duke
08-19-2007, 11:15 AM
How about a Calfee Luna. 2.8 lbs for a quality carbon frame that retails for somewhere around $1500.00.
duke

Ahneida Ride
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Most mass comes from components/wheels ..... Not frame ....

Rembember ..... you must go down thoses hills too.

Get the Serotta .... It's a no-brainer ....

Dan Le foot
08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
I just got back from my 1st ride on my new (2004) for me CDA ST.
The 58cm frame weights in at 3.9lbs. Complete with new Ultegra triple, F2 fork and Easton Circuits and 180lb rider is 200lbs. (Includes peddles but no water) I doubt whether I would be able to tell the difference if total weight was 199lbs with a one pound lighter frame.
The ride qualty of the bike is awesome. The front end is tight. Descends and corners like it was on a rail. And absolutely no frame flex when I hammered all I could on the last short climb of the the day.
BTW. My 1st string bike is a 01 Legend Ti. The CDA overall ride quality is even better than the Legend IMHO.
Dan

Tom
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, at the Serotta board you're going to get a lot of reinforcement if you're leaning toward the Serotta. So, take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have a CSi and a Legend. The Legend gets ridden all the time, the CSi is like that '65 Mustang you take out with the top down on a wonderful day, it's my 'special ride' bike. If you blindfolded me I bet I couldn't tell the difference but that is, of course, because I'd ride straight into the ditch. Seriously, though, they are both phenomenal climbing bikes and at 60cm there must be some weight difference. Whatever it is, I really don't notice it. Heck, I rode the Highlander century out here on the CSi with a 13-26 in the back and had no insurmountable difficulties.

If all you're ever going to do is go uphill in a straight line, go with the weight. If you're going to ride other than that, try to ride both of the bikes in your size and make your decision that way. You probably can't go wrong if you get some road time on them.