PDA

View Full Version : OT Plastic dip

cmbicycles
10-14-2015, 10:53 PM
I have a Thule roof box that has the claw style clamps, but the plastic coating on the jaws has cracked and is falling off. Does anyone know of something (dip/spray/brush on) that might work to replace the original coating? I'm sure thule would love to sell me 4 new clamps instead of jaw covers, but not going that route.
I know you can get that rubberized grip dip at Depot/lowes, but it seems like it would be too soft and come right off.

AngryScientist
10-14-2015, 11:30 PM
i've got the same situation, and i just gave the jaws a coat of rustoleum paint, and it's holding up fine.

Veloo
10-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Too bad silicon/ caulking wasn't easier to manipulate/ spread for these types of applications.

Walter
10-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Try Plasti-Dip or a similar product that is available where you buy tools.

http://www.plastidip.com/

William
10-15-2015, 07:54 AM
The plastidip is pretty durable. There are lots of "how to's" out there where people paint rims and whole cars with the stuff and it holds up.

William

jdp211
10-15-2015, 09:15 AM
A word of advice if you go the PlastiDip route, make sure you apply a LOT of coats. I plastidipped a frame I've been riding and I thought I put enough on, but it definitely hasn't held up as well as I'd expected

bart998
10-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I've used Plastic Dip for several things and it works well... Even repaired underground electric wires.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-1-2-oz-plasti-dipr-black.html

Ken Robb
10-15-2015, 12:18 PM
would electrical tape work?

nicrump
10-15-2015, 12:33 PM
you know that spray leak sealer crap that guys sells on late night TV? the one where he puts a screen door on the bottom of a row boat and coats it in that stuff, that stuff is essentially sprayable rubber. I've played with it and I bet it would suit your needs. maybe a few coats letting it dry in between. mask your edge and cover everything else. maybe use an exacto to cut the edge before peeling your mask.

cfox
10-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Brush-on truck bed liner might work. It's basically brush on plastic. I've used it and it's very durable. They have it at any auto zone or similar.

vqdriver
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
notes on plast-dip:

holds up well to the elements, not so much cosmetically if it gets any wear. shows scratchs well if you use a dark color

it is tenacious in its grip. don't worry about it peeling off on its own.

does peel off if you want to tho. not terribly hard.

spray cans clog easily. must must must do it in warm weather. and have a bucket of warm water available to clear the head between applications.

spray cans are horribly smelly. do it outside.

multiple coats can get thick. be aware of changing tolerances or clearance issues if coating the interior of anything.

overall, it's so easy to spray/dip, and then peel off if you don't like it, that there's not much to lose in trying it.

Cicli
10-15-2015, 02:17 PM
I agree on the bedliner stuff. They have a smooth version of it also.