PDA

View Full Version : stoopid mtb/cross cleat question

Dr. Doofus
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
dean at r7 pointed out to doof that, in the shoes where nothin hurts, the cleats are "toe in" slightly. in the shoes that made doof's knee hurt, the cleats were dead on straight.

aha

makes sense -- doof's ugly flat feet tend to point out, and the "toe in" cleat placement, combined with the float in his Time pedals, counteracted/corrected that, so that his feet actually point where they should when he pedals...digging out some old Sidis revealed that, back in the toe clip days, yep, his cleats pointed in a little bit (the Fit Kit cleat align thingie...that was when fitting was cool)....

so

on mtb shoes, is there any way to angle the cleats in? some jerk x-acto trick?

doesn't look that way, but hey, what do I know...but if doof can't "toe in" those cleats, his knees are gonna keep hurting when he rides his goofy fuji...so he might as well ebay the thing if the cleats ain't gonna fit....

bluesea
05-18-2006, 08:42 PM
My D5s have a bit of angular adjustment built in, but you can always elongate (dremel) the hole in the cleat along with the countersunk portion.

Dr. Doofus
05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
My D5s have a bit of angular adjustment built in, but you can always elongate (dremel) the hole in the cleat along with the countersunk portion.

what the heck does that mean? papa doof never let doof near the tools...doof is a book-readin pansy who can barely use a screwdriver...

DfCas
05-18-2006, 09:19 PM
When the 2 SPD type mounting screws are kinda loose in all the mtb shoes I have ever had,you can twist the cleat some to change the angle,then tighten them. I think this answers the question you are asking,but I'm not really sure....

dan

pdonk
05-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Yes, but depending on the tread pattern and location on the shoe you may need to shave the tread to make getting in and out of the pedal easy.