PDA

View Full Version : Ben Foster: Doing steroids to play Lance Armstrong harmed my body.

djg21
10-13-2015, 12:39 PM
"Ben Foster admitted to doing a cocktail of performance enhancers to get in the right headspace to play steroid-tained cyclists Lance Armstrong, reads the caption to the accomapnying photo.
It's become a vicious cycle for "The Program" star Ben Foster.

. . . .

"I had a great doctor, which helped me handle some of those consequences. But it took about half a year to get my levels right, and I would say for any athlete, you have to ask, 'Where are your values?' "

. . . .

The drugs, the actor says, were all of the legal variety.

The legal variety? I don't know what's worse, Pharmstrong taking PEDs to win 7 tours and then steadfastly denying it while setting out to ruin the lives of those who called him out on his drug use, or an actor taking PEDs to portray Pharmatrong taking PEDs to . . . .
Ironic?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/foster-steroids-damaged-body-article-1.2395429

spartanKid
10-13-2015, 01:03 PM
The legal variety?
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/foster-steroids-damaged-body-article-1.2395429

All AAS, EPO, HGH, etc. are legal to possess when prescribed by a doctor. There are real medical conditions for which these drugs are prescribed.

Androgel/TRT is legal when your doctor gives it to you, it is NOT legal when you get in from a guy who is selling stuff out of the back room at Gold's Gym.

jmal
10-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Who is the physician that prescribed and monitored the steroids? It's great that this was "legal," but at the very least it was unethical.

spartanKid
10-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Who is the physician that prescribed and monitored the steroids? It's great that this was "legal," but at the very least it was unethical.

Was he going out and racing USAC races and winning money? If not, I don't think it was unethical at all.

All of the actors who play Marvel and DC superheros are using AAS to get ready for movie roles. Christian Bale didn't go from the Machinist to Batman in < 2 years just on protein shakes.

http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/christian-bale-batman.jpg

MattTuck
10-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Perhaps it would be easier to keep track of the people in hollywood that haven't used some PEDS or cosmetic procedures....

It's like 2. paul giamatti and danny devito.

Seriously, I give this about 50% chance of being true. and 50% chance of it being purely marketing hype to get more people aware of/talking about this movie.

spartanKid
10-13-2015, 01:15 PM
It's like 2. paul giamatti and danny devito.

3. Steve Buschemi

CSTRider
10-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Gotta wonder would Ben Foster also take meth, crack or heroin if he was cast to play some real life character who did the same? Not an Armstrong fan, but at what point is this just a publicity stunt to attract attention to his new movie?

djg21
10-13-2015, 01:24 PM
All AAS, EPO, HGH, etc. are legal to possess when prescribed by a doctor. There are real medical conditions for which these drugs are prescribed.

Androgel/TRT is legal when your doctor gives it to you, it is NOT legal when you get in from a guy who is selling stuff out of the back room at Gold's Gym.

When prescribed by an MD for a legitimate medical purpose.

velomonkey
10-13-2015, 01:27 PM
When prescribed by an MD for a legitimate medical purpose.

* a lot of MDs left legitimate at the door for $$$

gasman
10-13-2015, 02:11 PM
* a lot of MDs left legitimate at the door for $$$

Whoa, careful there. My experience after 30 years in medicine is just the opposite. The vast majority of us consider ethical behavior very,very important .

jmal
10-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Was he going out and racing USAC races and winning money? If not, I don't think it was unethical at all.

All of the actors who play Marvel and DC superheros are using AAS to get ready for movie roles. Christian Bale didn't go from the Machinist to Batman in < 2 years just on protein shakes.

I was referring to the physician, not the actor. The actor is just foolish. The physician is violating medical ethics and perhaps the law when prescribing medication for non-medical purposes such as getting in the head space of a character.

benb
10-13-2015, 02:32 PM
There are clearly plenty of doctors who are willing to bend the rules for these hollywood types and some of the anti-aging folks too... my guess is a bunch of the doped masters riders are also doing it with a doctors prescription.

See Sylvester Stallone talking completely on the record about all the stuff he injects with his doctors help so he can continue to be an action movie star deep into his 60s...

shovelhd
10-13-2015, 02:48 PM
It's not just Masters racers.

benb
10-13-2015, 03:07 PM
It's not just Masters racers.

I'd be more willing to bet youngsters are less likely to use a doctor's aid because a) the "anti-aging" angle is gone and b) too expensive...

The younger guys I'd expect to be more likely to go straight to the fully illegal path.

velomonkey
10-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Whoa, careful there. My experience after 30 years in medicine is just the opposite. The vast majority of us consider ethical behavior very,very important .

Wasn't directed at you or your colleagues, but the numbers bear with what I'm saying. More deaths from pharma products than auto deaths - that stuff, as you know, is tightly regulated with the Dr. being the gatekeeper.

I've only ever had doctors give me huge prescriptions to pain killers I didn't need. I've never had to ask and I've only ever had a massive abundance that I had to dispose of.

The are a myriad of magazine articles where journalists find doctors more than willing to give them prescriptions they simply don't need. Here is my favorite as it has to do with our beloved sport - dude had no problem finding a doctor and the effects were rea (http://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test)l.

Least we forget, the sponsor of tour of California is the maker of EPO the granddaddy of them all cycling drug - you can't make this stuff up.

BTW, my step dad is a dentist, he would never give anyone even laughing gas cause he was like "suck it up, it's a shot" - and he didn't think the risk was worth the benefit. So, sure, there are a ton of ethical doctors, there are also a ton that will do what they need to do to make their money.

AJM100
10-13-2015, 06:48 PM
moronic . . . :no:

guess he'll start on the spike or pipe for a junkie part next . . .

Tony T
10-13-2015, 07:14 PM
\ Christian Bale didn't go from the Machinist to Batman in < 2 years just on protein shakes.

He did it on pizzas and ice cream :)

pbarry
10-13-2015, 07:35 PM
It's Method acting. If the lead wants to do that to his body to get into the LA character, it's his choice. Not one I would make, but still his prerogative. Would.like to know more about the psychological effects.

mosca
10-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Apparently, in this case, literally "performance" enhancing. I wonder if SAG will adopt the WADA code?

MattTuck
10-13-2015, 07:55 PM
It's Method acting. If the lead wants to do that to his body to get into the LA character, it's his choice. Not one I would make, but still his prerogative. Would.like to know more about the psychological effects.

Method acting would be taking the drugs secretly, denying it, and then threatening people if they tried to speak the truth.

pbarry
10-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Method acting would be taking the drugs secretly, denying it, and then threatening people if they tried to speak the truth.

Well done!

Would like to know if Foster turned into a psychopath while under the influence.

CunegoFan
10-13-2015, 08:32 PM

Maybe he should have tried getting a complete perspective by spending millions of his own money and tons of his time raising money for people with life threatening disease.

shovelhd
10-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Give it a rest.

ultraman6970
10-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Wonder if he is getting wings growing in his back for real this time.

Tony T
10-13-2015, 09:21 PM

I thought everyone here knew?

oldpotatoe
10-14-2015, 06:14 AM

What? Are you saying these guys have a personal MD who will prescribe anything they want??? Shocked!!

Jgrooms
10-15-2015, 06:14 PM

Hey sure thing. That's why heroin is rampant, since they can't get their once doctor prescribed opiates.

93legendti
10-15-2015, 07:10 PM
whoa, careful there. My experience after 30 years in medicine is just the opposite. The vast majority of us consider ethical behavior very,very important .

+1

mg2ride
10-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Maybe he should have tried getting a complete perspective by spending millions of his own money and tons of his time raising money for people with life threatening disease.

"Like"

LJohnny
10-15-2015, 07:48 PM
So Foster doesn't look bad on the bike from the movie teaser and trailer. I guess he does do cycling? I am assuming given the extend of the cycling involved in this movie that it is himself on the bike.