PDA

View Full Version : Best indoor trainer...and a serious pricing PSA

Avincent52
10-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Despite the perfect temperatures yesterday, winter is coming.
And so is trainer season.

What are you using?
What's your recommendation for the best bang-for-buck trainer in the low-to-medium price points.

Thanks in advance and I'll try return the favor pre-emptively by passing along a shopping tip.

Have you checked out Bike-discount.de?

I've shopped the US discounters, I've shopped Ribble and Wiggle for things like tires and cheap Campy.

But for certain items, Bike-discount.de is simply stupid cheap.
I initially went to the site to buy a some discontinued Schwalbe tires (the very cool light-and-fat Super Moto 26-inch)

I started poking around and found a chrome frame Brooks Swallow, black or honey, for $83.
No, that's not a misprint.
This saddle $189 on Amazon, $172 on Wiggle, and $209 at Nashbar.
And this wasn't a super sale. I bought mine a month ago, and it's still the same price.
And it's packed in the pretty Brooks box with the little wrench, a cover, and some Proofhide.

Shopping for trainers, I searched for a price on the Tacx Satori Smart.
List is $450. Amazon has it for $310.
Bike-discount.de? $221.

Now there is a flat shipping charge to the US of around $25 on all orders.
And while my first order was under $200, I wouldn't be surprised if BD, and or the German postal authorities, were more diligent about collecting duties than the UK-based retailers.

My order did ship reasonably fast, about a week IIRC, which is faster than the trip for some Rapha jerseys from Oregon to NJ.

Obviously not everything on BD is quite this crazy cheap, but most items are at least in Wiggle/Ribble range.
In any case, it's worth a shot and there are bargains to be had if you buy enough stuff to amortize the shipping cost.

kramnnim
10-13-2015, 08:45 AM
They have a version of the Vortex Smart under $300, might be a better deal than the Satori.

bcroslin
10-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Good to know.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for best-bang-for-your-buck trainer that's zwift compatible?

kramnnim
10-13-2015, 09:08 AM
The aforementioned Vortex Smart...

Peter P.
10-13-2015, 07:01 PM
In the "low to medium price points" you're interested in I HIGHLY suggested you check out Craigslist and eBay. You can score a quality trainer CHEAP.

I purchased a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine on eBay for $165, SHIPPED. I also purchased a Blackburn Mag Trackstand for my sister for $50, shipped. I found another Mag Trackstand for a friend on Craigslist for $50.

If you want new, the current model Blackburn magnetic trainer which replaces the Mag Trackstand, is a good buy. Compared to my Kurt Kinetic, I thought the mag trainer offered just as smooth a ride with plenty of resistance, and just as quiet, for MUCH LESS money.

All you need is patience so you don't overpay, and persistence in watching for the trainers to appear. Now's the time to start.

shovelhd
10-13-2015, 07:12 PM
The aforementioned Vortex Smart...

Agreed. I have the Tacx Bushido Smart, in the Proform TDF Edition. Right around $525 shipped to me.

guido
10-13-2015, 08:18 PM
I really like the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll or Road machine trainers. Less fancy integration but really great feel. With a power meter you can do anything...

Truman
10-13-2015, 09:30 PM
+1 on the Kurt Kinectic. I got it last season and put in quite a few miles over the winter. Not cheap but worth the money spent in my mind.

cdn_bacon
10-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Just got me a Kurt Road Maching from Brian_cdn and it's amazing.

Add the 12lb flyweel if you want to feel pro. It's quiet and feels great under the bike.

and I believe lifetime warranty.

kramnnim
10-14-2015, 08:13 AM
For the best Zwift experience, you need a power meter or a smart trainer, zpower is often not accurate and results in much angst from other riders.

guido
10-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Add the 12lb flyweel if you want to feel pro. I

I really like the bigger flywheel too. Really nice for endurance or threshold work. Adds extra bite to short intervals too...

kramnnim
10-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Someone that works for Proform is selling Vortex and Bushido trainers at a steep discount, he posted about them on the Online Swap Meet group on Facebook. $175 shipped for a Vortex, $262 for a Bushido. Crazy deal assuming it is legit. (and it seems to be, I am in the middle of placing an order)

OtayBW
10-15-2015, 11:24 AM
I've been threatening to buy a set of TruTrainers for 2 years now...maybe this year. I HATE riding indoors, and if I have to do it, I think the TTs may be the best way to go for me. I just hate to think of coming back here to sell them in few months after I decide that I STILL HATE riding indoors.....

Avincent52
10-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Kramnnim
Where exactly on facebook is this swap meet.
I tried Googling... and it send me back to this thread.

TIA
Allen

andrew+
10-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Kramnnim

TIA
Allen

Search for "Online Swap Meet" in the Facebook search bar and you'll find it.

LegendRider
10-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Is bike-discount.de legit? Quick shipping? Similar experience as Wiggle, Merlin Cycles, ProBikeKit, etc.?

ceolwulf
10-15-2015, 03:12 PM
^ can't speak to that one but bike24.de was where I got my Vortex Smart and that was much the same as the UK places.

Len J
10-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Kramnnim

TIA
Allen

https://www.facebook.com/groups/onlineswap/?fref=nf

rzthomas
10-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Here's the link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105468812901876/

jds108
10-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Is bike-discount.de legit? Quick shipping? Similar experience as Wiggle, Merlin Cycles, ProBikeKit, etc.?

Yes to all. OK, maybe shipping isn't super-quick, but it's fine as best I recall. Only downside is that high fixed shipping cost to the US - makes me hold off until I have a big order.

Avincent52
10-15-2015, 04:08 PM

It's completely legit. It's a huge site, like the Nashbar of Germany, but with lower prices. Very similar to Wiggle and Ribble in terms of general convenience and speed of delivery. I think my order took about a week which is within the range of the UK sites. The English translation is a little rough at times on item descriptions but the items are the same.
Just suggesting that it's worth pricing.

Avincent52
10-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks for passing along the link to the swap meet.

It's completely legit. It's a huge site, like the Nashbar of Germany, but with lower prices. Very similar to Wiggle and Ribble in terms of general convenience and speed of delivery. I think my order took about a week which is within the range of the UK sites. The English translation is a little rough at times on item descriptions but the items are the same.
Just suggesting that it's worth pricing.