PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale 1.5 steerer tube-replacement fork options

marciero
10-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Am looking at a Cannondale tandem with a 1.5 inch steer tube aluminum disk fork and am curious about options for replacing.
Does anyone make a 1.5 inch carbon disk fork?

Another idea is to use a conversion headset, if one exists that will work. The current standard for tandem and CX disc forks seems to be to 1.125-to-1.250 tapered. Somewhere I remember seeing a CK headset designed to convert 1.5 inch head tube to accept 1.125 steer tube, which possibly could use on for the top bearing. Perhaps one exists to convert the lower bearing as well to accept 1.250. But with Cannondale's proprietary philosophy am not at all confident these would mate with the head tube.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

oldpotatoe
10-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Am looking at a Cannondale tandem with a 1.5 inch steer tube aluminum disk fork and am curious about options for replacing.
Does anyone make a 1.5 inch carbon disk fork?

Another idea is to use a conversion headset, if one exists that will work. The current standard for tandem and CX disc forks seems to be to 1.125-to-1.250 tapered. Somewhere I remember seeing a CK headset designed to convert 1.5 inch head tube to accept 1.125 steer tube, which possibly could use on for the top bearing. Perhaps one exists to convert the lower bearing as well to accept 1.250. But with Cannondale's proprietary philosophy am not at all confident these would mate with the head tube.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Call Woundup and see if they can do something.

buldogge
10-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Cane Creek (and I'm sure CK) have crown races to run 1.125 or 1.25 forks in 1.5" bearings...I would think there is a conversion bearing for the top as well.

The Enve disc fork is 1.5" tapered, so just the top bearing would need to be dealt with.

-Mark in St. Louis

kramnnim
10-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Isn't the Chris King Devolution designed to work with Cannondale head tubes? Maybe you could just use a 1.25" baseplate instead of the stock 1 1/8. Call them?

marciero
10-13-2015, 10:31 AM
All good suggestions; thanks. Would be great if Enve/CK conversion works, though Enve is not listed as tandem specific. Also has max 160 rotor vs 180 (or perhaps 200) on c'dale.

cmbicycles
10-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Problem Solvers makes head tube reducers, but a reducing headset would be be better if you can find one that works. I have installed FSA reducing headsets on Cannondales in the past to use a standard fork instead of the headshock, so that is another option as well.

dustyrider
10-13-2015, 11:18 PM
I would give MRP a call about a fork...the white brothers brand was very customizable. That is if you want a 1.5 fork.

If it's a headset you're after, I'd talk directly to cane creek with the head tubes specs and the fork you want to run. They do have a rather nice website these days; you might find what your after with a little clicking!?

marciero
10-14-2015, 06:32 AM
I would give MRP a call about a fork...the white brothers brand was very customizable. That is if you want a 1.5 fork.

If it's a headset you're after, I'd talk directly to cane creek with the head tubes specs and the fork you want to run. They do have a rather nice website these days; you might find what your after with a little clicking!?

Yes, Ideally would want to stay with 1.5 inch fork, at least on bottom so as not to defeat the design. MRP seems more geared to mtb and fat bikes but maybe worth a call. If wound up would do 1.5 that would accept 180 rotor would be viable choice

christian
10-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Cane creek 40 has upper and lower cups and races to do 1.125-1.5 tapered or 1.125 straight in a 1.5 head tube. I have them on my Cannondale MTB.

They even have a program on their website to go help you figure it out.

dustyrider
10-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Yes, Ideally would want to stay with 1.5 inch fork, at least on bottom so as not to defeat the design. MRP seems more geared to mtb and fat bikes but maybe worth a call. If wound up would do 1.5 that would accept 180 rotor would be viable choice

I know these guys pretty well;they're just down the road. I've seen some interesting fork builds in the past from them. I think they're certainly worth a call.