PDA

View Full Version : lower HT ID issues, need to get a +0.1mm headset cup...alternatives?

wallymann
10-12-2015, 10:15 PM
getting around to building up a fairly new-ish frame. well, getting started. fitting up a sweet 1-1/8" CK nothreadset and the lower cup slid in by hand and rotated easily by hand once in place!

caliper shows the OD of the CK lower cup as bang-on @ 34.0mm. talking to the CK guys, the lower HT ID is posta be slightly undersized @ 33.9mm for an interference fit. my calipers showed the lower HT ID as somewhat larger than 33.9mm but i couldnt get a measurement i was super-confident in...i'm getting a bore gage to double-verify the lower HT diameter, but i'll certainly need a slightly over-spec CK lower cup.

not a super-bummer, but a nuisance. anyone else run into this? historically, any HT issues i've had (very few, and very minor) have only involved the fit being on the tight side.

ultraman6970
10-12-2015, 10:27 PM
Hmm you need a cup with a larger neck... was a 1 inch threaded frame i would have offered my edco headset... so far i remember chris king had 1 1/8 headsets with a longer neck.

Anyhow, thats not an acceptable answer because those headsets arent cheap, my solution to your problem and just because I've done it, is to apply some paint inside of the front tube, even white corrector thing will work, let it dry and push the headset in place, the paint will crack a little bit but it will stay in place keeping the cup tight.

Hope this helps.

wallymann
10-12-2015, 10:47 PM
...my solution to your problem and just because I've done it, is to apply some paint inside of the front tube, even white corrector thing will work, let it dry and push the headset in place, the paint will crack a little bit but it will stay in place keeping the cup tight.

interesting idea...so just using built-up paint to shim the HT ID is a sufficiently-durable work-around? it wouldnt take much.

wallymann
10-12-2015, 10:52 PM
google is a wonderful thing.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwVr1Pxbb7aVy-73XF2vz81_L0c5nEUKvkpAYcg28LDSXUDgughp4dxBwv2u3ooO 5-NEF7-gAy&usqp=CAY

ultraman6970
10-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Yeah... just a tiny brush around to build up, and then when the headset goes in, the paint will be compressed against the head tube, besides is so little what you need that will last for a very long time.

THe next option is to knurkle (sp) the cup, is not like you have one moving around, right ? :)

If you have that white out corrector pen, use it, will take like 5 minutes to dry, and try it. Quick and free to try.

Never used paint like nails paint ok? always used white out because is more flexible, the nails paint is too hard, brittle.

That loctite thing will work too IMO.

wallymann
10-12-2015, 11:33 PM
going with loctite 609.

Tandem Rider
10-13-2015, 05:36 AM
going with loctite 609.

I use this stuff at work on big bearings. When you need to remove it, LOTS of force is required.

ultraman6970
10-13-2015, 06:40 AM
http://renegadetribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/white-out-581x445.jpg

oldpotatoe
10-13-2015, 07:13 AM
getting around to building up a fairly new-ish frame. well, getting started. fitting up a sweet 1-1/8" CK nothreadset and the lower cup slid in by hand and rotated easily by hand once in place!

caliper shows the OD of the CK lower cup as bang-on @ 34.0mm. talking to the CK guys, the lower HT ID is posta be slightly undersized @ 33.9mm for an interference fit. my calipers showed the lower HT ID as somewhat larger than 33.9mm but i couldnt get a measurement i was super-confident in...i'm getting a bore gage to double-verify the lower HT diameter, but i'll certainly need a slightly over-spec CK lower cup.

not a super-bummer, but a nuisance. anyone else run into this? historically, any HT issues i've had (very few, and very minor) have only involved the fit being on the tight side.

CK makes oversized cups for this application..

cmbicycles
10-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Assuming a metal frame...
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Quick-Metal-Gap-Filler/dp/B001GSKUZU

David Kirk
10-13-2015, 08:55 AM
CK makes oversized cups for this application..

Exactly - call King and they can fix you up.

dave

wallymann
10-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Exactly - call King and they can fix you up.

i did. i have to go to an LBS and buy a (new) plus-size headset. LBS pricing for a CK is almost $150 these days. :-/

David Kirk
10-13-2015, 02:33 PM
i did. i have to go to an LBS and buy a (new) plus-size headset. LBS pricing for a CK is almost $150 these days. :-/

Yeah - they are spendy. They will literally last a lifetime but they are spendy.

So this is a new frame? If so might you ask the company that made it or sold it to you to buy the headset? I would think that to be fair.

dave

donevwil
10-13-2015, 02:37 PM
going with loctite 609.

I STRONGLY recommend against this. As already shared you will have to apply mega-force and/or heat to ever get the cup out. That will certainly destroy the cup.

wallymann
10-13-2015, 07:07 PM
i just test-fitted 3 different headsets and they fit fine, plenty of friction/interference.

maybe just back luck, the HT on the slightly-large end and the headset on the slightly small end.

i'm getting a bore-gauge so i can measure the HT ID precisely and then i'll re-review those measurements with the specifications for a CK headset.

ultraman6970
10-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Wally man... do as Im telling you, will take 5 minutes of your time.

The paint fix is older than I'm :P

nm87710
10-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Loctite 609

oldpotatoe
10-14-2015, 06:08 AM

Well, the issue is your frame, not CK..I guess you could glue it in somehow but CK does this specifically for what your problem is..and you needn't buy the whole HS, you can buy just the lower bearing cup.

I echo the other post about if the frame is new. 'Shouldn't' be oversized, even a little bit. Has it been faced a lot?

wallymann
10-14-2015, 09:13 AM
I echo the other post about if the frame is new. 'Shouldn't' be oversized, even a little bit. Has it been faced a lot?

while it is pre-owned, condition is silly-new-ish. the HT has *never* been faced and the HT ID looks unmolested.

i test-fit 3 other headsets by hand and they had plenty of interference-fit.

i knocked out the upper CK pressed-in cup -- it came out really easy and both of them fit loose-ish and can install in lower HT by hand and rotate once installed.

both CK cups are conical, slightly over 34.0mm at the "base" and slightly under 34.0mm at the open-end.

so it looks like both ends of the HT are at the slightly large-end of the spec, assuming the CK headset measurements i took are where they should be.

wallymann
10-17-2015, 02:10 PM
HS installed with press snugged down while 609 cures

https://scontent-ord1-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12081042_1507521832895747_686721722_n.jpg