PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Rock 'n Roll's AntiChrist

Bill Bove
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Who's current music is making you sick? I will nominate Micheal McDonald who ruined The Doobie Brothers, yes The Doobs were once a great party band and possibly the most insipid schlockmeister to ever be a member of an otherwise real rock band, non other than Phil Collins.

I had my breakfast ruined this morning by Phil turning "Groovy Kind Of Love" a song that may have been harmful to your teeth years ago into nails on a chalkboard. And every time I hear McDonald doing a Verizon commercial on TV I thank the man who invented the remote control. Is McDonald constipated? Does an ex-wife have him by the... The man is in pain! Someone help him!

Russell
05-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Not current, but since you mentioned Michael McDonald...Mickey Thomas when he joined Elvin Bishop and did their worst song, Fool Around and Fell in Love. I had seen EB a couple times before that and he and the band were smokin'. When I saw Mickey Thomas on stage in his designer jeans and blow-dried hair I puked up all my peyote buttons.

He then went an ruined an already lame band - Jefferson Starship

ClutchCargo
05-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Mickey Thomas was not an Elvin Bishop type of guy, that's for sure. EB must've been gettin' pretty hungry in order to bring him aboard. Although, strangely, "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" doesn't make me sick.

But here's two guys who always make me feel queasy, and if I hear two of their songs in succession I'm a runnin' for the bathroom--this call is too easy, really-- Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow. They didn't have any band to ruin, but they sure could ruin your mood!

MartyE
05-18-2006, 03:24 PM
every producer, DJ, mixmaster etc. who ever sampled a
classic rock song included into some rap/hiphop abomination*.

but seriously I do believe that Kenny G is the antichrist, rock or no rock.

marty

* and that includes Jimmy Paige for his Pdidly collaborations.

taz-t
05-18-2006, 04:48 PM
every producer, DJ, mixmaster etc. who ever sampled a
classic rock song included into some rap/hiphop abomination*.
Even Beastie Boys?
but seriously I do believe that Kenny G is the antichrist, rock or no rock.

marty.
Agreed - and Celine Dion his mistress.
* and that includes Jimmy Paige for his Pdidly collaborations.
wow!

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Even Beastie Boys?

no - even buddhists gotta fight for the right to par-tee atmo

Tony Edwards
05-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Along the same lines as the OP, Peter Cetera took Chicago from being a passable-to-good rock band with a horn section into Air Supply Lite (and that's lite!). I wouldn't ever have been a fan of Chicago, exactly, regardless, but I certainly wouldn't have been chafing with hatred for them and their music before Cetera ruined the band. Same deal with Steve Perry and Journey, actually.

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 05:15 PM
ron woods sank the stones after brian jones sank himself atmo

znfdl
05-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I have to nominate Billy Joel. I could never listen to his so-called music for more than 30 seconds.

Bud
05-18-2006, 05:30 PM
I now have "Fooled around and fell in love" stuck in my head! :crap:

totally mp

Wayne77
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Maroon 5 - like the Backstreet Boys with a band

Any 80's pretty boy metal group trying to make a come back: You sucked then, you suck even more now - and no, cutting your hair short and wearing those stupid flame shirts to cover the beer gut doesn't help your case.

I'll 2nd the vote for Phil Collins - listening to that is like being forced to eat dry mashed potatoes with no gravy for the rest of your life. Its about as bland as it gets.

Rod Stewart - pure dreck

Top Honors goes to any one of the many artists that try to cop the whole Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam thing. I dub these bands "spolied-suburban-disenchanted-teenager-slacker rock". ie Creed, Lifehouse, Doors Down, Staind, Days of the New, Papa Roach, etc etc etc

Rapid Tourist
05-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Peter Cetera?? But who could forget the timeless magic of "the next time I fall in love it will be with UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"--god, that was truly bad.

I have to nominate Justin Timberlake. Spawn of the devil imho

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 05:59 PM
tom verlaine was written up in the times today.
bring back the protopunk era atmo.

Ray
05-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Rod Stewart - pure dreck
Yeah, but he WAS great. A lot of these people sucked from day 1. Rod was great up until the mid-late 70's, which I know leave room for a lot of dreck, but he's got about a decade of quality stuff to fall back on. And I like Ronnie Wood just fine also. We've been through the whole Stones chronology bit and I agree the Mick Taylor years were the best, but Ron Wood works well with them and they've done some pretty great stuff with him on board.

To me, the absolute worst crap ever committed to vinyl, tape, CD, or MP3 were all of those nameless, faceless, late '70s bands that spilled over into the early '80s. You know, the Journey / Styx / Kansas / Boston / Supertramp / Foriegner / Starship / LRB / theremustbeothers era. They were when rock and roll first (to my ear) became totally sanitized garbage. There was plenty of good stuff around in those days, but this was the dreck that sold big and got a lot of airplay. Head East sort of invented the genre and they weren't half-bad, but the rest of them stunk well and fully. Sure, there was garbage before this, a lot of the '70s bloooooze bands were pretty terrible, but at least it was RAW garbage that had a little bit of nasty attitude to go along with the incompetance. The Journey to Kansas bunch didn't have ANY redeeming qualities. "Rock's" version of Lawrence Welk. OoomPa baby.

They were never even good (well, OK, Journey was for one or two albums when it still had it's Santana feel) - Rod the mod was pretty great for a while.

-Ray

Wayne77
05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, but he WAS great. A lot of these people sucked from day 1.

Agreed. Another band that falls into the category of "was great" and then tanked is RUSH. Vapor Trails is the most disappointing piece of cheesy garbage I've ever heard. Avoid the concert DVD too (Don't ask me why I gave that one a try..) My 3 yr old could have mixed the sound better with his Fisher Price Karaoke machine.

Frankwurst
05-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Covers. Little Feat covers,Neil Young covers,The Band covers,the list goes on. I have heard very few covers I thought were worth diddly squat. :beer:

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Covers. Little Feat covers,Neil Young covers,The Band covers,the list goes on. I have heard very few covers I thought were worth diddly squat. :beer:

covers are done well by happy kine and the mirthmakers

Ray
05-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Wait, are you including him in the anti-christ thread or are you getting tripped up on your double negatives again. One of the great obscure musicians of the last, what, 30 years, atmo. People always called him the Jerry Garcia of punk, but I think it was more like the Richard Thompson. Twisted awesomeness.

-Ray "the other white meat" Sachs

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Wait, are you including him in the anti-christ thread or are you getting tripped up on your double negatives again. One of the great obscure musicians of the last, what, 30 years, atmo. People always called him the Jerry Garcia of punk, but I think it was more like the Richard Thompson. Twisted awesomeness.

-Ray "the other white meat" Sachs

hey - great initials.
it was thread drift atmo.
television-issimo, okay?
oh and i really dig wall of death.
a major league cool song.

Jeff N.
05-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Journey. Steve Perry makes me ill.
The lead singer for Styx makes me ill as well...whatever his name is.
Bon Jovi. gag....................Why do people like Stevie Ray Vaughn die in plane crashes and these guys live on? Jeff N.

roman meal
05-18-2006, 06:59 PM
of the day: Green Day, Avril Lavigne, and I'm thinking Liz Phair as of late.

I mean, what a heap compared to, just to metion a few examples: California Über Alles by Dead Kennedys, Peaches by The Stranglers (used to great effect in Sexy Beast btw, or Love Like Anthrax, or Suspect Device from that angry Irish band Gang of Four.

Nothing is new again, it was just re-packaged and processed beyond recognition for your consumption and listening pleasure.

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Peaches by The Stranglers (used to great effect in Sexy Beast btw...

now there is a wacked out film atmo

roman meal
05-18-2006, 07:04 PM
That the antithesis of all of this current this crap was The Stooges Fun House Sessions.

Compare that to Jimmy Buffet, or whatever. The Parrot guy, not the investor.

roman meal
05-18-2006, 07:05 PM
and quickly look for the exit in fear when I think of Ben Kinglsey in that film. No Ghandi there, atmo.

Wayne77
05-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Journey. Steve Perry makes me ill.
The lead singer for Styx makes me ill as well...whatever his name is.
Bon Jovi. gag....................Why do people like Stevie Ray Vaughn die in plane crashes and these guys live on? Jeff N.

If Steve Perry wasn't bad enough. Steve II:

http://www.beyondreflection.com/pictures/concerts/journey/090104/Steve09.jpg

roman meal
05-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Matt Groening's favorite band:

Is not schlep:

CNY rider
05-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Cancer is the evil that killed Joey and Johnny Ramone. There's no going back.

e-RICHIE
05-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Cancer is the evil that killed Joey and Johnny Ramone. There's no going back.
and zappa atmo

davids
05-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Roman Meal:

"Love is Like Anthrax" = Gang of Four
"Suspect Device" = Stiff Little Fingers

And I'm not sure what you're floating re: the Magic Band. But have you ever heard "Dirty Blue Jean" from Doc at the Radar Station? Oh, my. It's the opposite of painful

e_R and Ray:

TV rocked hard. But I'd take Shoot Out the Lights to the island.

The very worst? Who sang "Lovin' You is Easy 'Cuz You're Beautiful"? There's that part where the singer starts squealing like someone cut her... Way, way mp, atmo.

.. I just tracked the song down. It was Minnie Ripperton. She, too, died of cancer, in 1979. :(

But the song is still horrific.

Dr. Doofus
05-18-2006, 08:10 PM
the whites: great white, white lion, whitesnake

not white, but ****e

Vancouverdave
05-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Yes! Marquee Moon is one of very few 70's recordings that still hold any interest for me. Saw TV in Los Angeles @ summer 1978--fantastic show.

roman meal
05-18-2006, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=davids]Roman Meal:

"Love is Like Anthrax" = Gang of Four
"Suspect Device" = Stiff Little Fingers

Yes, yes, you are right. I was typing too fast and not paying attention.

I was also going to add "Wasted" by Black Flag.

:crap:

Dr. Doofus
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
patty smythe

doof thought about her while listening to Horses on the way to school today. doof mans, that wench had the nerve to be born with the homonymic moniker of a real deal talent, and then forced her effed up fake new wave pop on the world. Has there ever been a more perfect satan-spawn doppleganger? same name, similar looks, but the perfect evil no talent fake rock n roll jaundiced janus butt face. ick.

(oh yeah...and lenny kaye, patti smith's guitarist/main squeeze, should be cannonized for being the source of the original nuggets collection)

JohnS
05-18-2006, 08:45 PM
How about Fleetwood Max when the girls came aboard? They were once a great blues rock band that sank into pop. :confused:

Ray
05-18-2006, 08:55 PM
How about Fleetwood Max when the girls came aboard? They were once a great blues rock band that sank into pop. :confused:
I was thinking about them, but the thing is, it was pretty good pop. Yeah, I liked the Peter Green Mac better, but Buckingham and Nicks had some talent and it worked pretty well. I saw them once in that incarnation and they weren't half bad. So, yeah, I was also a bit disappointed at what they'd become, but rock 'n roll antichrist? Naah - they'd have to be bad and they weren't.

-Ray

dbrk
05-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Can anyone forget that Peter Frampton was once in Humble Pie? Talk about losin' it...

The real tragedy are groups like The Platters, who now exist in whatever form the person who owns the copyright to their name decides is the band. This reminds me of the current versions of Masi or Schwinn.

Mozart and Corelli are about all that's left for me, with the occasional foray into the deep past, the far east, and the jazz you can still hear in lower Manhattan.

True story: When I was at Harvard in the '80s Yo-Yo Ma used to walk across the Yard carrying his cello to practice. Students would yell from afar, "Yo! Mama!!" And he would smile and wave. Good sod, that Yo-Yo.

dbrk

taz-t
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Yes! Marquee Moon is one of very few 70's recordings that still hold any interest for me. Saw TV in Los Angeles @ summer 1978--fantastic show.

Definitely recommended...

DarkStar
05-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Steve Marriot

PK9
05-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Another vote for Steve Perry.

Though he does provide great fodder for parody -- see "What Would Journey Do?" http://www.nogators.com/wwjd.html

Peter P.
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
To paraphrase my boss:

"Geez; for people who hate these musicians so much you sure know a lot about them."

toaster
05-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Not that Styx was all that notable of a band but Dennis De Young as lead singer was the freakin' worst!

Other bands in the 70's most awful (or, at least dated)

Journey
Foreigner
Boston

bironi
05-19-2006, 02:44 AM
The mid to late 70's were painful to the ear. Unless one was seriously seeking good music, the choices on radio were:

Soft Rock - No Rock - Dan Fogleberg etc
Wailing guitars - Horrible guitar solos - REO Speedwagon etc
Disco - Glad I don't have an example

Those were years that I went elsewhere. I sought out anything for musical relief. Fortunately, I have forgotten most of those bad years. I chose to explore jazz, blues, reggae, and folk until rock found it's roots again.

classic1
05-19-2006, 03:07 AM
I have to nominate Billy Joel. I could never listen to his so-called music for more than 30 seconds.

+ infinity. And whoever said REO speedwagon, Starship, Whitesnake and Avril Lavirgne or whatever is also correct.

Climb01742
05-19-2006, 03:31 AM
for me it's all the boy bands/girl groups. musical mercenaries created by labels and producers soley to siphon dough outta kid's pockets. falsetto (sp?) in every way the word can be imagined.

ironically, the first (yes?) prefab boy band -- the monkees -- turned out to be a self-aware, don't-take-ourselves-seriously, kinda kicky pop guilty pleasure. since then, suck-ola.

William
05-19-2006, 05:32 AM
The mid to late 70's were painful to the ear. Unless one was seriously seeking good music, the choices on radio were:

Soft Rock - No Rock - Dan Fogleberg etc
Wailing guitars - Horrible guitar solos - REO Speedwagon etc
Disco - Glad I don't have an example

Those were years that I went elsewhere. I sought out anything for musical relief. Fortunately, I have forgotten most of those bad years. I chose to explore jazz, blues, reggae, and folk until rock found it's roots again.

Jeez! 42 posts before someone mentions REO Speedwagon!!! :crap: REO Speedbump and Journey are two bands that are gar-RON-teed to make me fall into a fetal position,wailing like a baby with blood spurting out of my ears. :butt:

Styx was OK with Tommy Shaw ripping guitar up until after Pieces of Eight. They jumped off the cliff after that, and Mr. Roboto was the nail in the coffin. And yes, Dennis Deyoung always sucked. The guitar riffs were the only reason I would turn an ear.

After Van Hagar, it became Van Who???? (No relation what so ever to The Who). And David Lee Roth...talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Never cared for Phil Collins out side of Genesis.

Saw the commercial on TV for Mike McD selling his own album "as the voice of a generation".......barf, barf, barf!!!

There are other but I need more caffiene at this point in the morning.

William

Kevin
05-19-2006, 05:43 AM
You guys are all pikers. The Wiggles are the worst. Followed by the Spice Girls.

Kevin

William
05-19-2006, 05:45 AM
You guys are all pikers. The Wiggles are the worst. Followed by the Spice Girls.

Kevin

I, I, I can't argue with that.

William

Ray
05-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Jeez! 42 posts before someone mentions REO Speedwagon!!! :crap: REO Speedbump and Journey are two bands that are gar-RON-teed to make me fall into a fetal position,wailing like a baby with blood spurting out of my ears. :butt:

Styx was OK with Tommy Shaw ripping guitar up until after Pieces of Eight. They jumped off the cliff after that, and Mr. Roboto was the nail in the coffin. And yes, Dennis Deyoung always sucked. The guitar riffs were the only reason I would turn an ear.

After Van Hagar, it became Van Who???? (No relation what so ever to The Who). And David Lee Roth...talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Never cared for Phil Collins out side of Genesis.

Saw the commercial on TV for Mike McD selling his own album "as the voice of a generation".......barf, barf, barf!!!

There are other but I need more caffiene at this point in the morning.

WilliamREO! I knew I was forgetting some bands when I put that list together. I'm sure there were others, but I shouldn't have forgotten them. Major brain fade on my part. And, yeah, Stykx and some of the others had the occasional decent player, but the sum-total of the MUSIC was so friggin' boring/lame/faceless/UN-rock that I can't forgive any of 'em. And this was at a time when there was a LOT going on - punk fer example was living and dying then, Springsteen and Elivs Costello were making their reputations then, and even some of the old fellers like the Stones, Dead, Neil Young, etc did some real good to even great stuff in the late '70s and early '80s. There was NO EXCUSE for that garbage.

Van Halen I put into a similar league as Rod Stewart though - they were pretty great for an album or two before they sucked. They were a lot of fun in concert too. But I saw a few of those Styx / REO / Foriegner / Boston types of bands and they were every bit as bad live as on record.

-Ray

kong79
05-19-2006, 06:34 AM
You guy's are making me feel like a weiner head. I graduated in "79" so most of these bands were my mainstay. Styx - Grand Illusion was great but they went down hill after that. The early Supertramp was very different and good, after they mainstreamed with Breakfast in America they lost their edge. Yes - great, Rush - sucks. Early ZZ Top was very hard edge but with Eliminator -AACK! Early Aerosmith was great, their new stuff all sounds the same. I'm glad they all sobered up and are healthy enough to enjoy life, but it sure made their music boring. Here's my killer - Elton John. In the early and mid 70's, him and Bernie were great and imaginative and dared to try stuff that others wouldn't. Island Girl was the beginning of the end and I will poke my eardrums out if I have to listen to his new stuff.

Tom
05-19-2006, 07:45 AM
There are a few covers that really work like the ones covering were the ones that understood the tune better than that what wrote it.

- Powderfinger, Cowboy Junkies covering Neal Young.
- Southland of the Heart, Maria Muldaur covering Bruce Coburn, I think.
- Wilder than Her, Dar Williams covering Fred Eaglesmith

Odd. Does that seem like a disproportionate number of Canadians to you?

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 07:56 AM
There are a few covers that really work like the ones covering were the ones that understood the tune better than that what wrote it.

- Powderfinger, Cowboy Junkies covering Neal Young.
- Southland of the Heart, Maria Muldaur covering Bruce Coburn, I think.
- Wilder than Her, Dar Williams covering Fred Eaglesmith

Odd. Does that seem like a disproportionate number of Canadians to you?

and don't forget that seminal clash cover
of the bobby fuller four's i fought the law
atmo. i say bring back angst, edge, and
plato's retreat.

taz-t
05-19-2006, 08:09 AM
and don't forget that seminal clash cover
of the bobby fuller four's i fought the law
atmo. i say bring back angst, edge, and
plato's retreat.

nah... the seminal clash cover is Pressure Drop with Police and Thieves a close second. bring back angst, edge and reggae.

- taz

manet
05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0009A1BXG/ref=dp_image_0/002-4666483-5089641?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 08:24 AM
nah... the seminal clash cover is Pressure Drop with Police and Thieves a close second. bring back angst, edge and reggae.

- taz

i'd take plato's retreat over reggae
any day of the week, and i'd pair with
paul anka just to try out something
new atmo.

Wayne77
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
You're all clueless. The best cover BY FAR is Tiffany's "I saw <him> standing there"

http://www.byroncrawford.com/images/tiffany.jpg

Coming in at a very close second is Debbie Gibson of course.

William
05-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Naw, what about Vanilla Ice coving Bowie's Under Pressure...Oh wait, he didn't steal it. I forgot. :rolleyes:

William ;)

Russell
05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Best cover?

Minor Threat - (I'm not your) Steppin Stone

taz-t
05-19-2006, 09:11 AM
i'd take plato's retreat over reggae
any day of the week, and i'd pair with
paul anka just to try out something
new atmo.

Plato's Retreat? Is that in Greensboro?

- t

Russell
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0009A1BXG/ref=dp_image_0/002-4666483-5089641?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

that just gave me douche chills

ClutchCargo
05-19-2006, 09:24 AM
and zappa atmo

marley atmo. :(

davep
05-19-2006, 09:25 AM

Kevin

You will get a big argument from my four year old about the Wiggles. Actually, he grew out of the Wiggles about a year ago!

Chad Engle
05-19-2006, 10:44 AM
POTM "Why do people like Stevie Ray Vaugn die in plane crashes and these guys live on?"

MartyE
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
best cover?
hmmm, difficult.

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane
Yes - Every Little Thing (could be best cover of a beatles song atmo imnsho )

Best Parody of a cover
My Way sexpistols

oh and one other thing,
Pariah Carey is Mrs. antichrist, I swear.

marty

72gmc
05-19-2006, 12:03 PM
More than McDonald, or Cetera, or Mariah Carey, or even the architects of "We Built This City"... REO Speedwagon is the antichrist. And whoever it is that keeps talking Linda Ronstadt, Rod Stewart et al into putting out golden oldies cover albums that are actually portals to the bowels of hell.

There are some good covers in this thread, tho. Can I add AC/DC's cover of "Jailbreak" to the list? Rifles! Firin'!

Tony Edwards
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
best cover?
hmmm, difficult.

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane

marty

Sweet Jane is brilliant, but IMO the cover to end all covers is Aretha Franklin's Respect. Even Otis Redding conceded she had essentially taken the song away from him.

davids
05-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Re: The Cowboy Junkies version of "Sweet Jane" - If you want to hear it done right, get VU's "1969 Live" - It's the song's first live performance ever, and it's definitive. The Junkies copied it, right down to the tempo. They must have been hoping we'd never heard it.

The Beatles covering "Money"
The Clash covering "Police and Thieves"
The Clash covering "Brand New Cadillac"
Nirvana covering "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

Don't get me started on Sid's version of "My Way"...

William
05-19-2006, 12:47 PM
More than McDonald, or Cetera, or Mariah Carey, or even the architects of "We Built This City"... REO Speedwagon is the antichrist. And whoever it is that keeps talking Linda Ronstadt, Rod Stewart et al into putting out golden oldies cover albums that are actually portals to the bowels of hell.

There are some good covers in this thread, tho. Can I add AC/DC's cover of "Jailbreak" to the list? Rifles! Firin'!

WORD!

William

Tony Edwards
05-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Re: The Cowboy Junkies version of "Sweet Jane" - If you want to hear it done right, get VU's "1969 Live" - It's the song's first live performance ever, and it's definitive. The Junkies copied it, right down to the tempo. They must have been hoping we'd never heard it.

Even so (and I admit I've never heard the version you're describing), the Cowboy Junkies chick has a far better voice than Lou Reed IMO. I always felt VU were a decent singer away from being huge. He was a great songwriter but a horrible vocalist.

Dr. Doofus
05-19-2006, 01:05 PM

The Beatles covering "Money"
The Clash covering "Police and Thieves"
The Clash covering "Brand New Cadillac"
Nirvana covering "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

Don't get me started on Sid's version of "My Way"...

David S. vs. Doof on "My Way" -- Pay Per view.

genuis covers:

Johnny Cash -- "Ring of Fire"
Otis Redding -- "A Change Is Gonna Come"
Fairport Convention -- "Si Tu Dois Partir"
Aretha Franklin -- "Bride Over Troubled Water"
Toots Hibbert -- "Take Me Home Country Roads"

good covers:

Buck Owens -- "Johnny Be Good" (greatest Don Rich solo ever)
Patti Smith -- "Because the Night"
Love -- "My Little Red Book"
New York Dolls -- "There's Gonna Be A Showdown"

godawful covers

William Shatner -- "Lucy in the Sky"
Pat Boone -- "Tutti Frutti"
new Kiss doing old Kiss

genuis godawful covers that graced live sets

Replacements -- "If I Only Had a Brain"
REM -- "Goo Goo Muck"
Ted Bundy's Tubesteak -- "Gimme Three Steps" (punk band doof was in plays midwestern ****hole bar...bikers come in to have a birthday party....Zeke, the birthday boy, demands the band play his favorite skinnyrd song with Zeke himself on vocals...doof and pals sort of kind of absolutely don't know the song but play it and sort of kind of made it work, or maybe because everyone was drunk...best worst cover ever imho)

William
05-19-2006, 01:09 PM
godawful covers

Tamborine Man. :crap:

William

72gmc
05-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Just listened to "Bad Sneakers"... Michael McDonald singing harmony in the good old days... such a shame.

Russell
05-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Tamborine Man. :crap:

William

Rhino Records' Golden Throat series is pretty funny. Sebastian Cabot doing Like a Rolling Stone. As well as the classic Shatner's.

pjm
05-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I like The Sundays version of The Stone's Wild Horses.

davids
05-19-2006, 02:20 PM
godawful covers

Doof,

All is forgiven.

For those of you who wish to truly understand what it means to be cut off from any hope of salvation, click here (http://www.pathcom.com/~boby/lsd.htm). You can't make this stuff up. You've been warned.

bironi
05-19-2006, 02:29 PM
For a damn good laugh!

72gmc
05-19-2006, 02:35 PM
there's a certain glory in the really bad cover. People trashed the Cult for their version of "Born to be Wild", but it's a guilty pleasure of mine. The Red Hot Chili Peppers knew there was no way to match Jimi with "Fire", so they just went for the same song played twice as fast--and when you've had several Jack & cokes, it sounds pretty darn good.

taz-t
05-19-2006, 02:47 PM
More (surprisingly) good covers:

Cyndi Lauper - When You Were Mine (Prince), Money Changes Everything (The Brains)

Bad cover: Billy Idol - LA Woman (the Doors)

Mediocre: Natalie Merchant - Because the Night (Patti Smith/Bruce Springsteen. Falls in the category of 'what's the point?'

Frog Hair
05-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Agreed. Another band that falls into the category of "was great" and then tanked is RUSH. Vapor Trails is the most disappointing piece of cheesy garbage I've ever heard. Avoid the concert DVD too (Don't ask me why I gave that one a try..) My 3 yr old could have mixed the sound better with his Fisher Price Karaoke machine.

Ouch. Terminal Geek level Rush fan here...I suddenly feel violated....

:eek:

William
05-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Ouch. Terminal Geek level Rush fan here...I suddenly feel violated....

:eek:

As an early RUSH fan, I can't help but feel that they have lost their way.

Shame.

William

e-RICHIE
05-19-2006, 03:36 PM
As an early RUSH fan, I can't help but feel that they have lost their way

nowhere to run atmo

William
05-19-2006, 03:47 PM
nowhere to run atmo

...to baby, no where to hide.

William

PS: What if it doesn't put the lotion in the basket? What then?

Frog Hair
05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
As an early RUSH fan, I can't help but feel that they have lost their way.

Shame.

William

Suddenly its Black Friday. A forum I thought I could all home...and now...total abandoment. I'll have to go for a long ride on my Trek Lance Edition this weekend and consult my with my good friends Steve Perry and Kenny G to see if my faith in mankind can be restored...

I shall go down in smoke while continuing to waive my Rush flag.

William
05-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Suddenly its Black Friday. A forum I thought I could all home...and now...total abandoment. I'll have to go for a long ride on my Trek Lance Edition this weekend and consult my with my good friends Steve Perry and Kenny G to see if my faith in mankind can be restored...

I shall go down in smoke while continuing to waive my Rush flag.

Oh, I still like RUSH. I just listen mainly up to Radio Waves. After that.....eh.

William

William
05-21-2006, 07:04 PM
...Airsupply. :crap:

Yea, I'd rather be....
http://fine2002.up.seesaa.net/image/painful-shot-block-thumbnail2.jpg

William :D

manet
05-21-2006, 10:20 PM
http://lyrics.duble.com/lyrics/N/neil-young-lyrics/neil-young-on-broadway-lyrics.htm