PDA

View Full Version : Preserving a signature

CampyorBust
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM
I recently acquired a Catrike 700. It looks like this...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/catrike_700_zpsgphm0es1.jpg

I have long lusted after one and this year the dream came to fruition. I got one of the first 100 which where hand made and signed by the owner of the company Paulo Camasmie.

The signature is very close to the ground, like a few inches. It looks like the previous owner has scrubbed some of the signature off. However enough remains that I want to preserve what is left.

I am looking for a non-messy quick and permanent solution. Ideally I would tear the trike down to the frame and rebuild it. It does not need a rebuild and I have overhauled a tadpole trike before and given it my less than permanent clear coat treatment and want to avoid it for now. Any ideas?

The medium is sharpie signature on a powder coated aluminum frame.

echelon_john
10-12-2015, 10:32 AM
If you did a good job with 3M helicopter tape it would be a pretty permanent solution with none of the risk of trying to get clear coat to adhere.

CampyorBust
10-12-2015, 10:44 AM
If you did a good job with 3M helicopter tape it would be a pretty permanent solution with none of the risk of trying to get clear coat to adhere.

Nice, thanks!

Amazing what this guy does to it with a heat gun...

https://youtu.be/JoN5pBGHN7M

My only concern is that it might gather sand and road muck on the edges and then start peeling.

AngryScientist
10-12-2015, 10:49 AM
My only concern is that it might gather sand and road muck on the edges and then start peeling.

i will tell you that on my wifes car, she cracked the rear bumper and i closed the crack and put a piece of gorilla clear tape over it. really really good stuff. it's been on the car for over 3 years and two northeast winters, including rain, snow and road salt. over 50k miles. no peeling...

CampyorBust
10-12-2015, 11:28 AM
i will tell you that on my wifes car, she cracked the rear bumper and i closed the crack and put a piece of gorilla clear tape over it. really really good stuff. it's been on the car for over 3 years and two northeast winters, including rain, snow and road salt. over 50k miles. no peeling...

Also I am worried the signature might come off if and when I peel the tape off, since there appears to be no clear coat over the sharpie. In my mind after a few years the tape adhesive and sharpie ink will become one, and should separation become a necessity they might not want to part ways.

echelon_john
10-12-2015, 11:31 AM
You want the tape to adhere, so clean the area AROUND the signature really well with alcohol. If you do this, and start the tape in the middle of the sig and slowly work to the outside, being careful not to leave air bubbles, it holds REALLY tight and is pretty impervious to crud.

Just make sure you buy the real stuff; it's worth it. Plus you'll have plenty left over to apply to frames under cable rub spots, chain stay heel rub spots, etc. It's really invisible if done carefully.

Nice, thanks!

Amazing what this guy does to it with a heat gun...

https://youtu.be/JoN5pBGHN7M

echelon_john
10-12-2015, 11:32 AM
There's a risk that applying clear coat could make the sharpie run. Plus, if you want clear coat to stick you'll still need to clean the area with alcohol at least; another risk to mar the sig further.

Also I am worried the signature might come off if and when I peel the tape off, since there appears to be no clear coat over the sharpie. In my mind after a few years the tape adhesive and sharpie ink will become one, and should separation become a necessity they might not want to part ways.

CampyorBust
10-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Plus, if you want clear coat to stick you'll still need to clean the area with alcohol at least; another risk to mar the sig further.

Yup thats what I think the previous owner did.

dustyrider
10-12-2015, 05:25 PM
How about some kind of wax? You'd Just have to keep it built up in that area. Maybe test sharpie and waxs on painted aluminum first to make sure it won't smear.
I do like the idea of the tape, but I don't think you'll ever be able to remove it without fear of loosing the signature.

gemship
10-12-2015, 05:34 PM

does it discolor at all? Or remain nice and clear?

Avincent52
10-12-2015, 05:36 PM
All good ideas.
One other way to think about this.
Mr. Camasmie, I assume from a quick Google search, seems to be both alive and healthy.

It seems there's a potential third stage to this process.
Do what you can to secure this signature.
Then think about what's the best location and method for preserving a signature. (I imagine autograph collecting websites would have some input on this.)
Then have Mr. Camasmie sign the bike again, better.
Or mail him a transparent "decal" which he could sign, which would then be clear coated or covered with another self-adhesive layer.

I"m sure he'd be really honored that you've taken this much thought and effort to preserve the original signature, and would be happy to help with finding a more permanent solution.

Good luck with the project and post a pic of your Cattrike, sometime.

pdmtong
10-12-2015, 07:14 PM

Cut a rectangular piece of tape just big enough to cover the signature

Cut a second piece approx 1/2" longer and wider.

Take first piece, center it, then stick it adhesive side to adhesive side to second piece

Now when you stick the second piece onto the frame the signature area is protected by the non sticky side of the first piece but nothing is really sticking to the signature

So what if sand/grit gets in the edges. Repeat with two new pieces

CampyorBust
10-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Awesome, thanks all for your ideas. I'll check out that good quality tape.

Will do on the pics, I will be doing an in-depth review once I get a little more acquainted with the machine.

Here is a quickie review don't expect to climb long hills very quick, punchy little climbs you can carry some speed up those. The comfort is great and the flat speed ain't half bad either. This time of year you can play the acorn game, when you gather acorns on the side of the road on the climbs and then do target practice with trees and such on the way down or better yet at a fellow trike rider. Unfortunately the one in the front usually looses, unless they deploy the cluster acorn technique, which can be hard to avoid.