PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross Racers: First timer tips?

ANAO
10-12-2015, 09:09 AM
I think that this Sunday will mark my first CX race.

Any tips?

sandyrs
10-12-2015, 09:12 AM
I think that this Sunday will mark my first CX race.

Any tips?

Don't overthink it, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and look at where you're trying to go, not where your front wheel is.

Have fun!

bcroslin
10-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Race at your own pace. There will be others who will explode at the start and go hard for 20 min's and then they will run out of steam and go backwards fast.

redir
10-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Have you done any practice sessions? If so then just fall back on your training. If not then I'd recommend at least practicing some mounts and dismounts. Otherwise just go out and have fun and learn the ropes.

sandyrs advice is spot on. Look way ahead to where you want to go in corners not down at your front wheel. You tend to go where you are looking so as you enter a corner look out past the exit. Even if you start to slide keep looking ahead and your body and mind will take care of the slide... It's not intuitive at all but it works.

ANAO
10-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Have you done any practice sessions? If so then just fall back on your training. If not then I'd recommend at least practicing some mounts and dismounts. Otherwise just go out and have fun and learn the ropes.

sandyrs advice is spot on. Look way ahead to where you want to go in corners not down at your front wheel. You tend to go where you are looking so as you enter a corner look out past the exit. Even if you start to slide keep looking ahead and your body and mind will take care of the slide... It's not intuitive at all but it works.

I did some solo "training" (off roading at the local park). I'm ok-ish with dismounts as I've been practicing them on the road for a year or so now, but every time I do a mount, I either catch my leg on the back of the saddle and send the bike flying or have trouble re-clipping. I'm used to Shimano SPD SL pedals and these small buggers are giving me trouble locating the cleat.

That, and the mud doesn't help.

thegunner
10-12-2015, 09:41 AM
I did some solo "training" (off roading at the local park). I'm ok-ish with dismounts as I've been practicing them on the road for a year or so now, but every time I do a mount, I either catch my leg on the back of the saddle and send the bike flying or have trouble re-clipping. I'm used to Shimano SPD SL pedals and these small buggers are giving me trouble locating the cleat.

man just commit to the non-road pedals :p

sandyrs
10-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Just start pedaling. You can find the cleat after a couple pedal strokes. When you remount the most important thing is to just get moving again.

ANAO
10-12-2015, 09:46 AM
man just commit to the non-road pedals :p

I have candies on there! It's just frustrating not being able to clip in for a while.

ANAO
10-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Just start pedaling. You can find the cleat after a couple pedal strokes. When you remount the most important thing is to just get moving again.

Thank you - this will be good to keep in mind Sunday.

redir
10-12-2015, 09:50 AM
I use SPD's too. I think most people find mounting to be the more difficult part. What you do is hop up and land on the inside thigh of the right leg and then your body will just magically slide into place ;)

Don't jump higher then necessary and come crashing down on the saddle. In fact it's probably best to not think of it as jumping at all but rather 'walking' onto the bike saddle.

bcroslin
10-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Remounts take lots of practice. You have to get over the fear of landing on your jewels and just commit. I also agree with sandyrs, just start pedaling and you'll figure out how to clip in.

mvrider
10-12-2015, 11:29 AM
My buddy made this mistake in his first CX race. His white jersey was no longer white by the end of the race.

pdmtong
10-12-2015, 07:25 PM
My advice: resist the urge to throw up and quit at lap 3. Put your head down and keep charging

Md3000
10-12-2015, 07:51 PM
You will need a beard!!

carlineng
10-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Take as many beer hand-ups as you can, and when the crowd heckles you, heckle them back.

Mountain shoes/pedals are a must. Practice your remounts, and get rid of the "stutter step". Forward momentum is precious.

Lovetoclimb
10-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Stay positive! You will get passed and you will pass people. There will be jerks who chop you in a corner and you may find yourself taking a direct line into some of them. The best races I remember are when people were encouraging one another and keeping the overall atmosphere fun. Coincidentally this was the OBRA series ....

dustyrider
10-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Take yourself way too seriously, make sure your kit is crowd source funded, grow some ironic mustache, drink some kind of free trade, organic energy drink, finish with an artisinal American spirits and don't forget to check that psi!

Or just have fun!

ANAO
10-13-2015, 05:09 AM
Take yourself way too seriously, make sure your kit is crowd source funded, grow some ironic mustache, drink some kind of free trade, organic energy drink, finish with an artisinal American spirits and don't forget to check that psi!

Or just have fun!

I don't get most of this post.

thegunner
10-13-2015, 05:27 AM

Or just have fun!

you know eli personally don't you... :p

ANAO
10-13-2015, 05:51 AM
you know eli personally don't you... :p

I paid for my kit myself!

jr59
10-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Just go out and have a good time

oldpotatoe
10-13-2015, 07:18 AM
take yourself way too seriously, make sure your kit is crowd source funded, grow some ironic mustache, drink some kind of free trade, organic energy drink, finish with an artisinal american spirits and don't forget to check that psi!

Or just have fun!

;):d

bcroslin
10-13-2015, 07:52 AM

Or just have fun!

Are you supposed to chew the Am Spirits? And don't get me started on tire pressure....

sandyrs
10-13-2015, 08:16 AM
I don't get most of this post.

That's because we're from the east coast.

redir
10-13-2015, 08:28 AM
That's because we're from the east coast.

I guess that must be it because I didn't get it either.

nooneline
10-13-2015, 08:33 AM
When in doubt, run - especially if you're in traffic.

Trying and failing to ride something is more time consuming than dismounting on your own terms and running a tricky section.

sparky33
10-13-2015, 09:22 AM
practice cornering: Peanut Drill (http://www.cxhairs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/sampleCornering.pdf)

TimAZ
10-16-2015, 10:34 PM
YouTube is full of excellent CX tip videos. Remounting is a game changer once you figure it out. Through barrier sections I like to take a few steps and get back some speed before I remount, if the barriers are in a slower section of the track. Pedal hard out of every corner and through them if possible. I'm in Utah and we have a lot of tracks with goatheads, and we see so many new comers flat out of races because they havn't loaded their tires full of orange seal, or stans. It's a bummer because if you keep flatting out of races you aren't going to want to come back. If you have the same issues sealant is crucial. So if, you are using tubes make sure to buy CX tubes with valve cores you can remove in order to use sealant. Preriding the track is a big deal to me, so I always so up early to my races. I'll ride slow and look at all the turns and figure out where the rocks, roots, or other objects are that might be able to produce a flat. I'll do a few hot laps and figure out what pressure I'll run for the track. Pressure conversations can go on forever, so I'll spare you the details, but it is important and it varies for everybody. PM me if you really want to talk this one out. Have fun, talk to your fellow racers afterwards, Start as close to the front as you can. Let us know how your race goes. I'll be at it tomorrow afternoon.

Cheeers,
Tim