PDA

View Full Version : Floor pumps that don't suck?

ColnagoFan
10-11-2015, 10:02 PM
That aren't Silca?

In the market for a new, decent/worthwhile pump for the garage. Don't want to buy a new one every year, I want quality. I'm willing to spend a bit more than the cheapie pumps, but as much as I wish, I don't have the Silca funds...
What have people had success with? Leyzene?

ultraman6970
10-11-2015, 10:06 PM
If you are dealing with presta valves the only thing you have to do is to buy any pump and change the chuck for a SILCA chuck, the pump wont suck no more.

Steve in SLO
10-11-2015, 10:06 PM
My vote:
Either Lezyne or old Silca with Hirame head.

wooly
10-11-2015, 10:07 PM
My Lezyne doesn't suck

bigbill
10-11-2015, 10:12 PM
I like my Lezyne as well. On sale at Competitive.

ColnagoFan
10-11-2015, 10:16 PM
I like my Lezyne as well. On sale at Competitive.

Checking it out now!

GregL
10-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Topeak JoeBlow Sport. Cheap, effective, reliable.

jemoryl
10-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Since the (new) Silca and Lezyne pumps have only been around a few years (or less), how does anyone know they will last a long time? FWIW, I have a cheap plastic Planet Bike pump that served me well for over 10 years, and recently bought a Topeak Joe Blow that works great looks like it will last a long time. I just don't get the new luxury pump thing.

Veloo
10-11-2015, 10:28 PM

+1 for the Joe Blow. Have had mine forever. I did change the hose and head recently to Lezyne just for something different. Works well but now I wanna try a Hirame head.

FlashUNC
10-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Lezyne has worked well for me, going on 4 years now with no problems.

bikinchris
10-11-2015, 10:31 PM
SKS Airmenius or Pedro's super prestige. If hundreds of riders can't break them on my ride support work, you will not have any trouble.

mg2ride
10-11-2015, 10:41 PM
I don't understand the struggle people have with pumps.

Get a cheap one and learn to use it right. It will last forever.

kramnnim
10-11-2015, 10:44 PM
My Joe Blow is starting to get frustrating...the Smarthead is getting dumb and the check valve is acting up.

...it's the original Joe Blow from 1998 or so, though. Got one of the new discounted Joe Blows from the recent Amazon deal, haven't opened it yet...

Cornfed
10-11-2015, 11:00 PM
All metal - no plastic parts. Never fails.

Tony
10-11-2015, 11:03 PM
+1 for the Joe Blow. Have had mine forever. I did change the hose and head recently to Lezyne just for something different. Works well but now I wanna try a Hirame head.

Another for the Joe Blow. Mine has been around for awhile also, servicing nine bikes and is used weekly, still going strong!

Louis
10-11-2015, 11:07 PM
+10000 on Topeak Joe Blow

I've had mine for ages (well over 10 years) and it just keeps blowing. Very well.

Aaron O
10-11-2015, 11:14 PM
I didn't care for the Lezyne at all...it kept unscrewing my valves.

I have a simple specialized air tool comp...I've had it for 8 years. It pumps well, it's been durable and it works presta and Schroeder without changing any heads. I'm not sure what magic feature another pump may have, but it pumps my tires without issue and it's been durable. The gauge is easy to read and it goes up to a high psi. Based on the number of bikes that see action here (I average two a week, my wife and our tandem...plus her employees use it as well), I feel confident it's durable enough for anyone.

I haven't used the new Silca, but it's better than the Joe blow, lezyne or park tool pumps I've used.

joosttx
10-11-2015, 11:21 PM
SKS Rennkompressor. Very nice floor pump with a wooden handle and solid construction. Also, its easy to travel with because its collapsible.

CAAD
10-11-2015, 11:27 PM
Love my bontrager super charger. Solid build quality and easy to use chuck. You can also rebuild it.

dgauthier
10-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Why do people seem to have bad luck with pumps? I bought a pump for $9 at Pep boys about 20 years ago to pump up my car tires when they need it. It still works like new. For cycling, I picked up a completely nondescript Blackburn pump for about $20 (it has a gauge) something like 13 years ago. It's still perfectly fine too.

I try not to over think this stuff. Maybe everything built in the last 10 years sucks?

martl
10-12-2015, 02:08 AM
SKS Rennkompressor. Very nice floor pump with a wooden handle and solid construction. Also, its easy to travel with because its collapsible.

+1

i know SKS Kompressors that are 40 years old and still work flawlessly.

Also, it might pay to have a look at Pieper. http://mpbicycleparts.com/

jlwdm
10-12-2015, 04:02 AM
Lots of people complain about the Lezyne chuck, but I see they have a new chuck that looks promising.

Jeff

cdn_bacon
10-12-2015, 04:37 AM
my plastic handled "typhoon" just broke after 8 years.

just bought the Joe Blow Sport 2 $55 and it functions ( with a metal base) as it should.

It's yellow and black, pumps to 160psi and I'll never forget where I placed it. Has an extra long cord which was a plus for me.

Cicli
10-12-2015, 05:16 AM

Agreed. My Lezyne was the worst pump I have ever owned.

I have an old Park somewhere that works just fine too.

slinkywizard
10-12-2015, 05:23 AM
+1

i know SKS Kompressors that are 40 years old and still work flawlessly.

Also, it might pay to have a look at Pieper. http://mpbicycleparts.com/

Great pump...got the limited version discounted...very solid...but have only had it for about 6 months...I imagine that it will last a long, long time

Neil
10-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Another vote for the Renkompressor (sp), fully serviceable and hard as nails.

Ray
10-12-2015, 06:40 AM
I have a Joe Blow (not sure which model, but I've had it roughly forever) and a Lezyne. The Lezyne SEEMS like it's better built, but I've had the same problem with it unscrewing my valve cores, which is a real PIA. The Joe Blow just always works and the gauge is consistent enough to rely on. I like the look and feel of the Lezyne and maybe if they fix the chuck I'll replace that part, but for now, the Lezyne usually sits and I reach for the Joe Blow...

-Ray

Joxster
10-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Are you wanting high volume for MTB, or high pressure for road bike?

I've had a SKS Renkompesser for going on 30yrs and its still going strong, it blows up Conti 110 Olympics to 16 bar (240psi) without any problems.

Cicli
10-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Are you wanting high volume for MTB, or high pressure for road bike?

I've had a SKS Renkompesser for going on 30yrs and its still going strong, it blows up Conti 110 Olympics to 16 bar (240psi) without any problems.

Jeebus. 240?

darkmother
10-12-2015, 07:53 AM
My Lezyne Steel Floor Drive pump requires the piston o-ring replaced every 3 months or so, and that's in a home use situation. I am making do with it, but I have owned other less expensive pumps that had better reliability.

xjoex
10-12-2015, 08:04 AM
I bought a Topeak Air Hammer in 1995, it's been great.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6N1kKZADPTg/TsR2fnaqUgI/AAAAAAAAEU4/LhQEMXxCH7I/s640/IMG_2965.jpg

Not sure what the new version is, but I'd definitely check out Topeak.

-Joe

tumbler
10-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Another vote for JoeBlow Sport. Cheap, solid, and reliable.

AngryScientist
10-12-2015, 08:36 AM
i think most floor pumps, in general dont suck. one thing that makes them "feel" better and separates the better ones from the cheapies is the stiffness of the handle. a good hardwood or super rigid plastic handle just feels less flimsy to put your weight against when pumping. the cheapies really flex.

i'm using an alloy lezyne with a tanaka valve head and it works great.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyM1gxMjY5/z/21oAAOxyOlhS9YUR/$_35.JPG

Bob Ross
10-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Don't want to buy a new one every year

Aye, there's the rub.
I've owned several floorpumps that definitely did not suck
...until I'd used them for a while.

I will say this: Topeak has consistently been very accommodating about replacing or rebuilding pumps that didn't last. I genuinely appreciate their willingness to keep me a satisfied customer. But I just don't see how that is a sustainable business model! Really, it's cheaper to send replacements (or replacement parts) every time one of your products dies prematurely, rather than just designing a more robust product in the first place? mind=blown

AngryScientist
10-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Really, it's cheaper to send replacements (or replacement parts) every time one of your products dies prematurely, rather than just designing a more robust product in the first place? mind=blown

as a counterpoint, i bet the bulk majority of pumps they sell go to guys who ride a bike, or pump up their kids soccer ball a few times a year, not consistent use like we give them. if perhaps 10% of the pumps that are purchased see hard use, thats still a lot they have sold at the same cheaper construction that they never will hear about again.

probably.

Climb01742
10-12-2015, 09:51 AM
as a counterpoint, i bet the bulk majority of pumps they sell go to guys who ride a bike, or pump up their kids soccer ball a few times a year, not consistent use like we give them. if perhaps 10% of the pumps that are purchased see hard use...

So most pumps are like gym memberships?:):p:rolleyes::banana:

Aaron O
10-12-2015, 09:56 AM
as a counterpoint, i bet the bulk majority of pumps they sell go to guys who ride a bike, or pump up their kids soccer ball a few times a year, not consistent use like we give them. if perhaps 10% of the pumps that are purchased see hard use, thats still a lot they have sold at the same cheaper construction that they never will hear about again.

probably.

I'd guesstimate that my Specialized pump sees an average of 250+ Top off inflation pumps/year...or 2000 top offinflations in its life. I'd estimate another 20/year 0-full inflations.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Vecchio's just started carrying them. Seem like a nice replacement for the older, non-bigbuk$ new Silca.

http://wurksglobal.com/prime-floor-pump/

jasonification
10-12-2015, 02:55 PM
geez that's a pretty pump..

Vecchio's just started carrying them. Seem like a nice replacement for the older, non-bigbuk$ new Silca.

beeatnik
10-12-2015, 03:13 PM
They had me at "Bauhaus styling."

Louis
10-12-2015, 03:17 PM
They had me at "Bauhaus styling."

But lost me at the price ($130 at the site I found).

Seramount
10-12-2015, 03:31 PM
have an aging Nashbar pump that cost $20.

has a cheezy plastic handle and the head will blow off the valve every once in a while at pressures over 90 psi, but it still fills tires with air so it's not getting replaced yet.

beeatnik
10-12-2015, 03:34 PM
I've been using this $25 Planet Bike floor pump (the lowest quality bike item I own) for about 4 years. Picked up from the former bonktown.com. It's crap but still gets air in the tires. However, when I use a halfway decent pump at the LBS or Performance, I resent my PB and yearn for the quality of a nice pump. Similar to how one feels about a Crown Victoria after driving a European performance car for the first time. Anyhoo, I'll be in $155 for two pumps which seems reasonable to me.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/781/21493740244_37981fea49_c.jpg

oldpotatoe
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM

In the price range of other nice pumps. Not the $450+ of new Silca.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2015, 03:46 PM

What kinda bike ya got? What wheels?

ColnagoFan
10-12-2015, 03:51 PM

probably.

This is kind of what I was getting at. I've had decent cheap pumps, I've had somewhat crappy "better" pumps. I'm looking for something that will get used several times a week, I'd ideally spend as much as I need to, but not more. I'll see if I can check out a few of these ideas this week locally.
The Wurks pump looks neat, but there is exactly zero info on who they are, where the company is. Kind of odd to me.

Aaron O
10-12-2015, 03:59 PM

That's really nifty looking...will it unscrew my valves?

Louis
10-12-2015, 04:20 PM

This is a loaded question, and I'll have to plead the 5th.

I will admit that the the rear wheel on my daily driver is one you built. ;)

Louis
10-12-2015, 04:20 PM

No.

jhat
10-12-2015, 05:23 PM
I am going to second the Specialized Air Tool. I have the sport and it has been good so far. I have an old Silca Super Pista that I love which is in the neighborhood of 30 years old. Worried about it getting stolen at races and the inability to pump up schrader valves, I grabbed the Specialized pump as it was cheap. This pump leads a hard live going from mountain bike race to mountain bike race pumping up tires in all kind of conditions, including topping off the car tires on occasion. For a break, it gets to go to cx races and due inflation duty there.

I want to think that it is just a cheap pump to justify my love for the old Silca but this Specialized is just fine. Five years in and the pump continues to work well despite being used in dust, rain, mud etc. Ticks all of the boxes for me and was relatively cheap to boot.

jemoryl
10-12-2015, 08:53 PM

One reason I can afford a nice bike (or a decent bottle of wine, or...) is that I don't spend $130 on an air pump. Sorry to be such a prole.

oldpotatoe
10-13-2015, 06:07 AM
This is a loaded question, and I'll have to plead the 5th.

I will admit that the the rear wheel on my daily driver is one you built. ;)

Not trying to snipe but I'm a big fan of spending more for quality tools that last a long time, and end up costing less in the long run. Looked at that pump yesterday in person and it's really nice. Designed by a former engineer from Schwinn and Gates.

BTW-Vecchio's has a supplier who still has the 'older' Silca SuperPista also-about $120...

oldpotatoe
10-13-2015, 06:08 AM

No, push on, locking head, one side Silca, one side Presta.

Aaron O
10-13-2015, 12:35 PM
No, push on, locking head, one side Silca, one side Presta.

If/when my pump dies, I'll be in touch.

andrew+
10-13-2015, 03:25 PM

This is nice looking. I love the nod to the Record downtube shifter.

Lewis Moon
10-13-2015, 03:33 PM
I am going to second the Specialized Air Tool. I have the sport and it has been good so far. I have an old Silca Super Pista that I love which is in the neighborhood of 30 years old. Worried about it getting stolen at races and the inability to pump up schrader valves, I grabbed the Specialized pump as it was cheap. This pump leads a hard live going from mountain bike race to mountain bike race pumping up tires in all kind of conditions, including topping off the car tires on occasion. For a break, it gets to go to cx races and due inflation duty there.

I want to think that it is just a cheap pump to justify my love for the old Silca but this Specialized is just fine. Five years in and the pump continues to work well despite being used in dust, rain, mud etc. Ticks all of the boxes for me and was relatively cheap to boot.

I bought a Spesh Air Tool at a yard sale for $3 and stuck a brass Silca head on it. Cannot complain and don't need a "better" pump.

saab2000
10-13-2015, 03:37 PM
I bought a Topeak Air Hammer in 1995, it's been great.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6N1kKZADPTg/TsR2fnaqUgI/AAAAAAAAEU4/LhQEMXxCH7I/s640/IMG_2965.jpg

Not sure what the new version is, but I'd definitely check out Topeak.

-Joe

This appears to be a version of the SKS Rennkompressor. I have two of the SKS pumps though they were both sold under different brand names. And my brother has one that was sold under the Zefal brand name. They are super nice and durable.

Both of mine have some version of the presta chuck and one of them can be unscrewed from a thread-on schrader head. it's super useful for pumping car tires up, though that is a long and painful process. But it works fine.

My other pump is a Lezyne, which works fine but does seem to have the ability to unscrew valve stems.

The new Silca is cool but the price is ridiculous and it's no better at pumping up tires than an SKS Rennkompressor. They're about $55 on Amazon and pretty much as good as anything out there.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i2T54JPML._SY355_.jpg

zzy
10-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Silcas are great but expensive. Thread on Lezynes are a pain. As much as I loath the company, the Spec Airtool HP has been great. Super easy chuck, pressure bleed, rebuildable, and easy to service. Got my old track tubies up to 160 without difficulty. Can't ask for much more. I also really like my Topeak Road Morph.

Aaron O
10-13-2015, 07:13 PM
This is nice looking. I love the nod to the Record downtube shifter.

I like the shout out to the cinelli 1A

andrew+
10-13-2015, 07:28 PM
To actually answer the question: My old Silca Super Pista has served me well for around 6 years. It's more fussy and less efficient than other pumps I've tried, but it's reliable, rebuildable, and imo, beautiful.

http://i.imgur.com/Gdb0WpF.jpg

Louis
10-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Who would ever have thought that something as pedestrian as floor pumps could elicit so much controversy?

This is similar to Sayre's Third Law of Politics: In academia the politics are particularly vicious and bitter because the stakes are so low.

sjbraun
10-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Specialized pumps are really very nice.