PDA

View Full Version : Campy inline adjuster placement and FD alignment tool?

maximus
10-11-2015, 03:19 PM
Couple of questions:

1. I was surprised to find an inline adjuster included with my 11s cable kit. Sweet because the new frame's downtube only has stops without adjusters. Any advice on the best place to include these along the length of the cable or is this an aesthetic question?

2. I'm a home "mechanic" to use that term loosely. With a bunch of builds under my belt, I still find getting the front derailleur right takes a few tweaks and attempts. Are thew new alignment tools the magic bullet and worth me dropping the $25?

:beer:

ultraman6970
10-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Hey...

1... honestly you might not need that thing, why? well... the RD has a spring cable adjuster already, but well if you want to use them, put them in such a position than you can work with them while riding, thats their purpose.

Cut the cable like always w/o the cable adjuster, mimic the position... when you are ok see where you want them, usually is like at the begining of the curve, mark it, cut the stuff, then install them.

Depends a lot of the frame but what you can do is replace them with the jagwire ones (they are called rocket adjusters), those ones go right in the frame hole (obviously depends a lot where the holes are) and are not threaded, you drop them in the hole and good to go, in that way you dont mess measuring and cutting the casing.

2... IMO you dont need that, just use a penny as always been done :) I do it by eye, almost touching the teeth of the large chainring.

Hope this helps.

ultraman6970
10-11-2015, 05:31 PM
This ones... I used them with BMC bikes that have only the holes in the frame, the cable tension keep them in place so dont worry if are lose, they will work...

In your bike, just drop them in the cable stop in the down tube.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!l!zDHHh3te!YmAQ!m5jXeg!/Jagwire-Rocket-II-Adjusters

kramnnim
10-11-2015, 06:19 PM
I need about 6 of those Campy adjusters...

wasfast
10-11-2015, 07:18 PM
You use the inline adjuster because it says "Campagnolo" on it silly:-)

I just put together a C'dale EVO Hi Mod with Chorus 11spd and used the inline adjuster. It's a bit nicer than the other "vanilla-ish" adjusters.

The FD tool seems a bit much. They used to have a label from the factory on the outside that showed the 1mm clearance recommendation to the chainring for installation. Not sure why that wasn't good enough. The only other setting is have the outside of the cage parallel to the outside chainring. Done.

maximus
10-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the advice.

After getting all the cables set up, the placement seemed like a no-brainerįžŠight smack in the middle before it curves back to the downtube stop.

After finding the installation video (http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/installation_and_setup_of_the_2015_mechanical_grou psets), I'm not convinced the alignment tool would make it that much easier.

ultraman6970
10-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Looking good :D

Hindmost
10-12-2015, 11:00 AM
...the placement seemed like a no-brainer...

After reading your description of the installation I have to ask: what are the little knobular shapes just visible at the downtube stops? (Sincerely curious.)

thirdgenbird
10-12-2015, 11:17 AM
After reading your description of the installation I have to ask: what are the little knobular shapes just visible at the downtube stops? (Sincerely curious.)

They look like those little rubber bumpers jagwire uses to keep housing from wearing on the paint.

maximus
10-12-2015, 12:24 PM
They look like those little rubber bumpers jagwire uses to keep housing from wearing on the paint.

Exactly.

I really like Jagwire cable kits - seem thoughtfully designed with the right ferrules and have many thousands of miles on a pair of housings that still feel great.