PDA

View Full Version : Quick Recap of a visit to Hampsten

MattTuck
10-11-2015, 08:56 AM
I spent the last week in Seattle and had a few hours to kill on Friday. I emailed Steve Hampsten and asked if I could swing by the shop and he graciously agreed.

First off, I didn't take any pictures (sorry) as I thought that would be a bit weird to be snapping pictures as I talked to Steve.

Steve is a great guy. I've had my eye on one of his bikes for a while and figured I'd seize the day and visit the workshop while I had the chance. He showed me the range of stuff he's doing (multiple materials, now including in-house carbon) and a range of applications from pure race bikes to less aggressive frames.

To me, it seems like Steve has a bit of 'never settle' in him. Whether it is trying new business models (maglia rosa), trying new materials, or just taking on interesting custom projects... I like the attitude.

I can't say enough good things about Steve. When I mentioned that I didn't like the alloy colored spacer (visible because of a window in my stem) on my bike, he spent 5 minutes trying to find black one for me from his parts bin. Extremely generous and it did nothing but elevate my impressions of him as a person and his frames. A frame from Steve certainly sits at the top of my wishlist, and his wait time is very reasonable at around 3 months.

Unfortunately, I had to cut my visit short and get back to downtown Seattle and finish up there before the commander in chief showed up (in town for a fundraiser for Patty Murray, I think) and made travel much more difficult.

velomonkey
10-11-2015, 10:18 AM
There are a lot of good, well made custom bikes made by true artisans. For me, at least, what can be the deciding factor is how professional is the person.

By all accounts from what I've heard Steve is the man.

I want a Hapsten, too.

Climb01742
10-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Another thumbs up for Steve. A number of years ago I was lucky enough to meet Steve in Vegas at Interbike. A very good dude, indeed. I've also been fortunate to have two bikes designed and shepherded by Steve. Working with him is very very good too. Very curious where he takes their carbon projects.

Ciavete
10-12-2015, 01:05 PM
And another big thumbs up for Steve. He just built me my first custom set of wheels - I'm super stoked to get them out on the road. Throughout the process he was great at patiently answering all my novice questions and offering expert counsel.

I hope to order a custom frame from him someday; his bikes are beauties.

Cheers!

donevwil
10-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Steve's the real deal. He was a huge help in ironing out my wife's geo for a new GP Ti a few years ago. On a visit to Seattle we dropped by Hampco Towers with two very different geo specs from a couple well respected local (to us) fitters. He put my wife on one of his bikes and went for a short jaunt through the neighborhood. Upon their return he had a solid idea of what she really needed. She's very happy to this day.

jmeloy
10-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Got a LDV and the experience with Steve was just outstanding!

Kirk007
10-14-2015, 07:04 PM
piling on - and he has a good wheelbuilder too - I've got a dynamo hub wheel being built as we speak. I was there last week when one of the new custom carbon frames was in the jig, partially complete - really, really nice.

Steve's a gem as is Andy. If you ever want a great ride in Italy, Andy's tours are first rate, and probably even better on a Hampsten!

J. Anquetil
10-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Steve and Andy Hampsten have superior DNA. So does their work. Great, kind, fine people, and their frames are as good as it gets. I missed the pictures, though.