PDA

View Full Version : Cheap or inexpensive carbon cages.

Cicli
10-11-2015, 07:55 AM
Now, I wont bave anything to do with counterfeit parts or cheap parts when it comes to frames, forks, handlebars and the such but.......... In the search for a bottle cage for my fancy plastic mountain bike I keep coming across these $10-20 carbon cages.
Anyone use them?
Do they hold up?
Maybe I will get some Arundels but 50-60 bucks is a big jump.

So, what are your expierences?

rePhil
10-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I wondered the same thing so I ordered a pair of Bontragers from China / ebay.
They must have been on the proverbial slow boat as it took about a month for them to show up. They look good, but the downtube cage rattles buzzes on rough roads just enough to rattle my inner OCD. (Only with full bottle) Other than that they are fine.

Now, I wont bave anything to do with counterfeit parts or cheap parts when it comes to frames, forks, handlebars and the such but.......... In the search for a bottle cage for my fancy plastic mountain bike I keep coming across these $10-20 carbon cages.
Anyone use them?
Do they hold up?
Maybe I will get some Arundels but 50-60 bucks is a big jump.

So, what are your expierences?

pdmtong
10-11-2015, 09:17 AM
For dirt?
Hydration pak (dakine or osprey, not Camelbak) or king iris or basic specialized mtb cage.

nm87710
10-11-2015, 09:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Bottle-Holder-Bracket-Bicycle/dp/B00BG7RPIG

54ny77
10-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Now say this 10 times fast after a few martini's:

"Black Plastic Drink Can Water Bottle Holder Bracket Rack for Bike Bicycle"

:p

IME carbon cages don't perform any better than nylon/plastic. They're more of a fashion accessory.

Best cages I've ever owned. ~50,000 miles without issue. Nice tight hold - never ejected a bottle. http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Bottle-Holder-Bracket-Bicycle/dp/B00BG7RPIG

Everything else broke within 15,000 miles and ejected bottles on occasion - arundels (4), bontrager (2), cuissi (2), etc.

Good Luck!

Cicli
10-11-2015, 09:43 AM
For dirt?
Hydration pak (dakine or osprey, not Camelbak) or king iris or basic specialized mtb cage.

No hydration pack for me. I cant stand that thing on my back. I carry my phone, repair kit and extra bottle in my jersey pockets. Roadie on a mountain bike.

ORMojo
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
IME carbon cages don't perform any better than nylon/plastic.

Performance-wise, I agree.

Not pretty, but these work very well. http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Profile-Design/Profile-Design-Kage-Water-Bottle-Cage.axd At $2.98, hard to go wrong.

I carry a large oversized metal water bottle in its cousin, the Profile Design Axis Kage, on my Mooto-X, and it has done the job for years. At $12, it does the same job, maybe better (tighter grip over the rough stuff), than its $66 carbon version.

mg2ride
10-11-2015, 10:19 AM
IME carbon cages don't perform any better than nylon/plastic. They're more of a fashion accessory.

Best cages I've ever owned. ~50,000 miles without issue. Nice tight hold - never ejected a bottle. http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Bottle-Holder-Bracket-Bicycle/dp/B00BG7RPIG

Everything else broke within 15,000 miles and ejected bottles on occasion - arundels (4), bontrager (2), cuissi (2), etc.

Good Luck!

Wow!!! I just ordered 10 simply to have to give out to new riders.

Nothing but cheap cages for me including some cheap carbon ones just for looks.

If I rode rough terrain a lot I might consider something better but I have never had a bottle eject on any of my road rides.

p nut
10-11-2015, 10:36 AM
No hydration pack for me. I cant stand that thing on my back. I carry my phone, repair kit and extra bottle in my jersey pockets. Roadie on a mountain bike.

Same for me. I go with 2 bottles on the bike and a bottle of Coke, or V8 juice in the jersey pocket. For longer trips, a Sawyer filter straw somewhere on the bike.

I am using a Spec carbon cage. Unlike King and other metal cages, it allows me to fit a pump mount under it (the Blackburn mount is thick). Haven't had any issues with it in the last several years.

I might have an extra one. You can have it for the cost of postage.

ColnagoFan
10-11-2015, 10:47 AM
As much as I don't like to support that company, the Specialized plastic cages are freaking amazing. I wouldn't make the jump to carbon, honestly I'd probably do the King SS cages, but they don't always "look" right on carbon bikes...

Elefantino
10-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I have broken more plastic cages than not. Haven't broken one of our carbons yet. That said, stainless is the best for everything save color-matching vanity. (Of which I am quite guilty.)

bcroslin
10-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I have broken more plastic cages than not. Haven't broken one of our carbons yet. That said, stainless is the best for everything save color-matching vanity. (Of which I am quite guilty.)

Same experience here. I totaled up the money spent on cheap cages and realized I could have bought a few carbon cages. Blackburn makes carbon cages that can be found for less than $50 and they have a lifetime warranty. Buy 2 and you're done.

(also good to know I'm not the only one who hates camelbacks)