PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Tour de Trump

ptourkin
10-09-2015, 12:37 PM
http://deadspin.com/remembering-the-tour-de-trump-donald-trumps-failed-bik-1735454622

Hopefully unnecessary warning: if you're offended that many people amuse themselves by saying funny things about him, don't look at anything but the videos.

redir
10-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I remember it when it was DuPont and came right through my college town in the 90's. I had no idea there was murder involved. Well at least the young Trump gave it a try I'll give him that. I don't know if it actually means he cared about cycling or not but I have to like some one at least a little bit who puts down a huge chunk of change on the sport of cycling ;)

DarkStar
10-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Have a banner from the race, I'll post a pic next week.

sw3759
10-09-2015, 02:19 PM
the first thing that came to mind when Trump made his Mexican remarks was I wonder if he remembers Raul Alcala had won the race with his name on it..i still enjoy going back and watching my old vcr tapes of the tour de trump and tour DuPont

laupsi
10-09-2015, 02:25 PM
this can only get ugly!

zmudshark
10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
this can only get ugly!
I thought the Tour de Trump was happening right now?

Keith A
10-09-2015, 02:42 PM
this can only get ugly!So let's make sure it doesn't -- and remember one of the rules is:

For discussion of partisan political topics. If a discussion devolves into partisan politics it will be shut down by the moderators and the thread may be deleted. Experience has taught us these discussions inevitably deteriorate.

tumbler
10-09-2015, 02:42 PM
As to why he didn't name it after the region the race would run through, Trump said, "we could, if we wanted to have a less successful race. If we wanted to downscale it."This thing is gonna be huuuuge!

weisan
10-09-2015, 03:14 PM
For $750,000, that's a bargain in today's terms!

54ny77
10-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I'd like to see the author of that piece try and get a pro race not only sponsored, but done, in NYC. Everyone's a critic...'till it comes time to put up or shut up.

The fact that it happened at all was a milestone in U.S. cycling. I was lucky to see the tail end of that series in the city back in the day. What an experience. I got to ride around Central Park with some Euro Pro's who were just cruising around, having fun in the days before the race. How cool was that? Pretty darned cool. One day a few of us hammering all out big ring laps on the flats/sloping downhill while one of them (Spanish dude on Once) was riding 1 handed, sitting down and holding a Coke in other hand and laughing! Great times.

mg2ride
10-09-2015, 10:12 PM
I do remember it and it is why I will vote for him!

echappist
10-09-2015, 10:43 PM
I'd like to see the author of that piece try and get a pro race not only sponsored, but done, in NYC. Everyone's a critic...'till it comes time to put up or shut up.

The fact that it happened at all was a milestone in U.S. cycling. I was lucky to see the tail end of that series in the city back in the day. What an experience. I got to ride around Central Park with some Euro Pro's who were just cruising around, having fun in the days before the race. How cool was that? Pretty darned cool. One day a few of us hammering all out big ring laps on the flats/sloping downhill while one of them (Spanish dude on Once) was riding 1 handed, sitting down and holding a Coke in other hand and laughing! Great times.

or for that matter, let's not forget that Richmond actually hosted the world's finest before 2015, all thanks to that Mr. Trump. i also found out that they had a stage right here in Arlington, one in which Davis Phinney won (spoilers!)

Mr. Pink
10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Heh.

"Trump mocked John Kerry for cycling earlier this year, and he seems to have forgotten all about his once 騨remendous bike race, which sounds about right."

I forgot about Marla Maples, too. She was pretty hot, in an 80s kinda way.

Funny how the first race was lost because the leader "got lost in Atlantic City". Springsteen should attempt a song about that.

Tony T
10-10-2015, 10:15 AM
This is why we can't really believe anything Trump says (even he could not believe this could ever be true) "This is an event that can be tremendous in the future, and it can really, very much rival the Tour de France, he told NBC."

Elefantino
10-11-2015, 11:02 AM
I still have a white Tour du Pont staff jacket. Ah, the good old days.

earlfoss
10-11-2015, 12:57 PM
I remember that kid who won, Bobrik, who was supposed to be the next big thing for a while. Definitely a kid "on the program" like so many others at that time. I have an old VHS tape of the race somewhere in my basement. It would be fun to dig that sucker out and blast myself with the past.

CunegoFan
10-11-2015, 01:27 PM
I remember that kid who won, Bobrik, who was supposed to be the next big thing for a while. Definitely a kid "on the program" like so many others at that time. I have an old VHS tape of the race somewhere in my basement. It would be fun to dig that sucker out and blast myself with the past.

He took his hematocrit from 42.7 to 53 while on Team Gewiss and won the Giro di Lombardia in 1994. His results ended the following year as everyone else jumped on the juice express.