PDA

View Full Version : F2G2 Did anyone else ride this last Sunday?

overmyhead
10-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Fall Foliage Gravel Grinder in Becket Ma. last Sunday. It is a fundraiser for the Pittsfield High School Cross Country Running Teams. 100% of the profit goes to the teams.
Keep this on your calendar for 2016. This is their website;
http://www.berkshiresports.org/index.php?ID=f2g2
Be sure to watch the video.

Very challenging ride.
I'm often tentative on dirt and I finished the 54 miles in about 5 1/2 hours. I estimate only 10% road terrain. The rest was mountain, cross and some areas that I can't define. 5400 feet of climbing. I was toast at the end but here a few days later I'm thinking that with some changes to my gearing I would try it again (I used my cross bike with 32 knobby Vittoria tires, 50/34 and a 29 large cog in back).
-Best signage I've ever seen on an organized ride.
-Three fully stocked rest areas manned by the boys and girls of the cross country team.
-SAG vehicles and bike techs on hand.
-The only area they fell flat on was the feed at the finish - This is only their second year however and I'm sure they will tweak it based on feedback.

Did anyone else on the Forum do this?
I'd love to hear your opinion of the ride.

sparky33
10-09-2015, 08:32 AM
-The only area they fell flat on was the feed at the finish - This is only their second year however and I'm sure they will tweak it based on feedback.

That's surprising. Last year, the feed at the finish was a cornucopia of deliciousness.

No doubt they are working hard are ironing out the logistics in a variety of ways, and it sounds like they really responded to last year's feedback with many adjustments for this year.

Didn't make it this year, but will be there for sure in 2016.

guido
10-09-2015, 09:02 AM
I had wanted to but scheduling gremlins conspired against it. (is there an echo in here? man I've missed too many rides this year!)

I plan to make it next year...

merckx
10-09-2015, 09:42 AM
I was signed-up but aborted after I watched the safety video. I only have a road bike and determined that it was inadequate for the challenges of the ride. The potential for walking seemed high, and I only have road pedals and shoes. Large rubber seemed a requirement too. Maybe I would have been able to survive, but I made a conservative decision. Did any of you use a road bike?

overmyhead
10-09-2015, 11:10 AM
I saw another rider on a road bike about halfway through. He actually said to me "Wrong bike."
As far as the feast goes, it got pretty cool and windy toward the end of the day. All I wanted was something hot and they had all the food outside in chafing dishes. Most everything was just shy of cold. Slim pickings if you are a non carnivore too. Minor complaints though, I thought they did a super job with the rest.