PDA

View Full Version : Reliable, light, reasonably priced MTB hubs

christian
10-08-2015, 06:50 AM
After a few years riding my 2004 Cannondale Jekyll (Freeride, bro!), I broke down and bought a Santa Cruz 5010 frame with a Revelation RCT3 fork which I am going to build up with a XT8000 1x11 kit in the next few days.

For wheels, I am going to build up some Light-Bicycle 27.5 rims (likely the 35mm wide ones), but I am clueless as to what a good hub choice is...

I'd need them to be:
- 15mm TA in front
- 142x12 in rear
- Centerlock
- Standard J-bend spokes

and in order of importance - reliable, cheapish, light.

My initial plan is to go with DT 350s or Shimano XTs. Thoughts? Also, any thoughts on light-bicycle 30mm rims vs. 35mm rims?

Thanks!

Mikej
10-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Since hubs are always rolling I tend to splurge- I'm a big CK fan, my son has DT350 and they are not really that great imho they have no pre load.

CampyorBust
10-08-2015, 08:46 AM
I got the Light Bicycle 35mm hookless rims on Hope hubs. They have held up very well for almost 2 seasons now. I am amazed how well they have performed, I don't baby them and they are still very true. The Hope hubs are nice not the nicest but still very nice, the only problem I have encountered is that my cassette is fused to the freehub, I just need to get a second chain whip to get it off. I have been planning to due a maintanace overhaul on them for a while, but they don't seem to need it so I keep putting it off. Also they are not quite, more like a big angry bee which is great on the trail. I got the 40 point engagement hub when it first came out, honestly I am wanting for quicker engagement, maybe it's in my head. Those King hubs with 120 points of engagement look yummy.

With the wider rims I have noticed more rolling resistance and more grip, give and take I guess.

xeladragon
10-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Sweet. Don't have a hub recommendation for ya, but I'm interested in your 5010. Did you pick up a '16 frameset or older? Carbon or aluminum?

A LBS has a '15 5010 C R for me to demo for a week... gonna pick it up this weekend hopefully. If I like it, I can buy it afterwards for a decent discount since it's a demo bike. But I also really like the updates with the '16 model. Worth the extra cost (~$2k)? Err... I dunno...

christian
10-08-2015, 08:54 AM
It's an original 2014 5010C (equivalent to the 2015 CC), so fanciest carbon layup, in the black/gray/green color. It's my local shop demo/owner's bike, and they gave me a great deal. I like the 2016, too, but even with a used 2014 frame, Ebay-sourced XT build, Light-Bicycle carbon wheels a decent cockpit and a dropper, I'll be pushing close to $4,000 I think. I just can't see spending more than that on a bicycle. I'm only doing this because I think the 5010 is basically the perfect bike for where I ride.

cinema
10-08-2015, 08:56 AM
love light bicycle rims and hope hubs. can't go wrong with either on a budget. I have the 38mm LB rim laced to a SP dynamo hub and Hope Hubs laced to velocity duallys. If I were to do it again I'd put the Light-Bicycle rims on everything.

I have punished the rims and hope hubs and they keep ticking, the UD weave without decal is pure utility. you wouldn't know its carbon by looking at it and it matches some other wheelsets I have in black alloy if I decide to switch it up for the day.

gdw
10-08-2015, 10:03 AM
If you are using centerlock rotors buy the XT hubs. They are slightly heavier -non-rotational weight- than the DT's but reliable, easy to maintain, and half the cost. I have no experience with carbon rims.

cp43
10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
I have a couple sets of Hopes. They've been trouble free, for the most part. I had one flange crack, which was replaced under warranty. The freewheel is loud, louder than King hubs. Also, the ones I have use an aluminum freehub body. If you use a cassette built up from loose cogs, even if they're riveted together, they cogs will dig into the splines. If you use a higher end cassette with the cogs grouped on a carrier you won't have the problem.

White Industries is probably also worth a look. I spec'd them on a bike that hasn't been delivered yet, so I haven't ridden them, but I've only heard good things.

crownjewelwl
10-08-2015, 10:29 AM
It's an original 2014 5010C (equivalent to the 2015 CC), so fanciest carbon layup, in the black/gray/green color. It's my local shop demo/owner's bike, and they gave me a great deal. I like the 2016, too, but even with a used 2014 frame, Ebay-sourced XT build, Light-Bicycle carbon wheels a decent cockpit and a dropper, I'll be pushing close to $4,000 I think. I just can't see spending more than that on a bicycle. I'm only doing this because I think the 5010 is basically the perfect bike for where I ride.

dude! get that thing built...pre-dawn ride this am...lights for climbing yellow...so much fun!

JAGI410
10-08-2015, 10:32 AM
XT hubs and 35mm rims!

p nut
10-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Since hubs are always rolling I tend to splurge-

Exactly. Why skimp on something so critical to the performance of a bike? Fit the bike with some old BB7's, grungy cranks, and some clapped out derailers, and put the money towards the hubs.

christian
10-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Exactly. Why skimp on something so critical to the performance of a bike? Fit the bike with some old BB7's, grungy cranks, and some clapped out derailers, and put the money towards the hubs.

Um, because if they're reasonably reliable (internet rumors has it the Malaysia-XT hubs might not be), I don't actually think there is any difference in "performance" between XT and CK hubs - and XT engagement is actually better than DTs. Shimano stuff usually uses pretty good bearings.

p nut
10-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Just make sure to check the lock nuts at least once a month if you go with XT hubs. Noticed mine was quite loose the other day on my cargo bike. Glad I didn't grenade the hub.

crownjewelwl
10-08-2015, 11:57 AM
if you need centerlock, you really only have 3 options anyway

shimano
dt
white industries
(king announced them but not available yet)

if you want a value option that leaves you with dt350 and xt

i would take xt over dt350

and wider is better...i am running 2.35" nobby nics on 941 rims...WOW

christian
10-09-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm going 6-bolt and Hope, I think.

bicycletricycle
10-09-2015, 08:31 AM
white industries.

amazing US quality at a nice price.

colors as well

s_curran
10-09-2015, 08:53 AM
If you cant afford the white industries, I really like my Bike Hub Source hubs. Super cheap, much better freehub than anything i've owned from shimano. MTN hubs is one if the only things I dont think shimano makes great, I destroy the free hubs at a far too often rate.

Tony
10-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Looking into a wheelset to replace my current set up. Thinking of WI with Velocity Blunt 35 rims.
http://speeddream.com/order-custom-bicycle-wheels.html

Tony
10-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Looking into a wheelset to replace my current set up. Thinking of WI with Velocity Blunt 35 rims.
http://speeddream.com/order-custom-bicycle-wheels.html

I would like to add that I've had to send back wheelsets from company's and builders due to the fact the wheels was not true when it arrived. I have four wheelsets build by Dave, all built nicely and perfectly true.

christian
10-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I will build them myself, so if they're not true...

gdw
10-09-2015, 11:19 AM
So the horror stories about the Malaysian XT's scared you away from Shimano.....:banana:

What led to your decision to choose 6 bolt over centerlock?

Tin Turtle
10-09-2015, 11:29 AM
I have WI and XTR, both are great hubs. The WI is my favorite but they are pricey. The XTR's I got used. I have a Hope on the front of the fat bike. Its great quality stuff, but again a bit more expensive. I firmly believe in putting the cash into hubs.

christian
10-09-2015, 11:36 AM
What led to your decision to choose 6 bolt over centerlock?
Hope is only available in six bolt. I am also considering SLX front, XTR rear, in which case I'll go with centerlock. As an engineering snob, I think centerlock is superior.

gdw
10-09-2015, 12:14 PM
I also prefer centerlock and went the XTf XTRr rout on a recent build. You can buy an XT 15mm centerlock for $49.40, $2 more than SLX's, on Ebay and an XTR rear for $182-$221. Hope's are great hubs and a good choice if you want 6 bolts although they are slightly more expensive.