PDA

View Full Version : First ride in the mountains...

bironi
05-18-2006, 02:04 AM
This season. My good riding buddy and I did an 80 mile loop up by Mt Rainier today. Weather was superb, highs in the 80's even at 5400 elevation. We did a 17 mile climb to Paradise Lodge, then descended for 22 miles with on 3 mile climb in the middle of the descent. We had great vistas of Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. About 30 miles of the Park roads were closed to car traffic, which included our long descent from Paradise to the eastern entrance to the park. The return portion of the loop included a fairly gradual grade on a narrow shaded road running along Skate creek for most the climb. Good food and drink followed.

Man, what a day. Our more typical weather returns this weekend.

Byron

Ray
05-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Sounds like a blast. I lived out there for years before I took up riding. I've never ridden any parts of Mt. Ranier - I remember driving up there, seeing cyclists, and being dead certain that they must have been crazy. Now I know how right I was, but it's a GOOD crazy :beer:

My daughter's going to be going to college in the Puget Sound area starting next year - I smell some visits coming up. Can't wait to ride in some of the area I remember driving through.

-Ray

Climb01742
05-18-2006, 04:00 AM
oh man, am i jealous. sounds awesome. a few years ago i shot a tv spot on mt rainier. the whole time i was thinking...if only i had a bike! you're a lucky guy.

Bud
05-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Sounds like a beautiful ride, man. There's nothing like riding up in the mountains. Rainier is awesome- I'd love to ride there someday.

I was just thinking about mt rides this morning (taking a day for a big mountain loop). [One of] The greatest thing[s] about living here is that I can ride from home and be at 9300'+ in 30 miles.