PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Camp Ergo common wear parts-Campyphiles knowledge needed

nesteel
10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
I have a '97 Campy Chorus group that I'd like to keep riding for a while. What are the common wear parts, and are any still available?

ultraman6970
10-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Tires? :D

nesteel
10-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Tires? :D

Zing...............;)

ultraman6970
10-07-2015, 11:35 PM
IMO probably the only issue you will have at some poiint are the brifters. The other stuff can last a very long time, even you can use any FD if one day the campy fails. But brifters dont last forever, probably potato can tell you better if there's still parts moving around for those 8 speed brifters because I have no idea about anything :D

thirdgenbird
10-07-2015, 11:48 PM
1997 chorus is 9spd.

The g springs were the same 8-10spd. The carrier was different for the pointy lever bodies but I don't think it was as apt to crack. Good thing too. They are a bear to find. Index rings seem to last forever.

As long as you don't let sweat corrode the thumb pivot, I'm guessing you won't need much more than g springs.

I've also seen cracked b pivots on the RD. The later derailleurs over shift slightly on 8spd and early 9spd but I think it is tolerable.

Large chain rings changed at 10spd and again at 11 to reduce space between the rings but seem to work fine on 9.

Front derailleurs seem to last forever, but about anything will do. 10spd era ones were the same outside of the added plastic wear plate.

Freehubs are still the same so hub replacement is a non issue.

Chains and cassettes appear readily avalible

I've seen several brake calipers crack at the bottom of the pad slot but they still seem to function normally. Pads are the old football shape. Campy and koolstop replacements are around.

Did I miss anything?

nesteel
10-08-2015, 12:02 AM
1997 chorus is 9spd.

The g springs were the same 8-10spd. The carrier was different for the pointy lever bodies but I don't think it was as apt to crack. Good thing too. They are a bear to find. Index rings seem to last forever.

As long as you don't let sweat corrode the thumb pivot, I'm guessing you won't need much more than g springs.

I've also seen cracked b pivots on the RD. The later derailleurs over shift slightly on 8spd and early 9spd but I think it is tolerable.

Large chain rings changed at 10spd and again at 11 to reduce space between the rings but seem to work fine on 9.

Front derailleurs seem to last forever, but about anything will do. 10spd era ones were the same outside of the added plastic wear plate.

I've seen several brake calipers crack at the bottom of the pad slot but they still seem to function normally. Pads are the old football shape. Campy and koolstop replacements are around.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for the run down. I was mostly wondering what "consumable" parts inside the brifters were common wear/known failure items.
Yeah, the RD is about as fragile as cheap glass. I've been through two in the two years I've had the group.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2015, 05:40 AM
I have a '97 Campy Chorus group that I'd like to keep riding for a while. What are the common wear parts, and are any still available?

Shift springs and spring carrier in the lever. Keep the pivot of the thumb button and shift lever lubed well. '97, 9s? 9s Campagnolo cogsets still made, 9s chains easy. No need to use a '9s' chainring, use 10s or even 11s w/o issue. Pulleys(10t) are the same as for 10s..plentiful.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2015, 05:41 AM
1997 chorus is 9spd.

Did I miss anything?

Use a newer shape carrier, grind off the post, use that. BUT you are right, the 1997 and older spring carriers don't break.

Mark McM
10-08-2015, 10:37 AM
One more wear item is the derailleur pulleys. But 9 & 10spd pulleys are the same, and still available.

I wouldn't say that front derailleurs last forever - I've worn out a few. But 9spd Ergo, with its "multi-click" front shifting, is fairly agnostic about front shifting. And as stated, 10spd front derailleurs are compatible with 9spd with the removal of the plastic guide plate insert.

thirdgenbird
10-08-2015, 10:43 AM
They seemingly last forever here in the flat Midwest. Lots of big ring only rides.

cmg
10-08-2015, 11:00 AM
in case you need to rebuild campy anything Branford bike sell lots of parts http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2008-pg71.htm

oldpotatoe
10-08-2015, 12:49 PM
in case you need to rebuild campy anything Branford bike sell lots of parts http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2008-pg71.htm

But mention ERGO to them and they'll try to sell a shift disc/index gear. After overhauling these from 1992, I've only seen one actually worn out(of maybe 400-500 I've OVHed).