PDA

View Full Version : Campy Chorus Skeleton brake caliper

tbar23
10-07-2015, 02:10 PM
A PF member has a Campy Chorus Skeleton brake caliper for sale. I am in the process of building up a fixie, and I was planning on going with just one brake on the front.
The caliper is a rear caliper (long bolt).

If I got the proper bolt size, would anyone have concerns about running a rear Skeleton brake on the front?

eBAUMANN
10-07-2015, 02:13 PM
nope. just get a long enough bolt, ive done it myself on a few fixed gears.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 03:12 PM
A PF member has a Campy Chorus Skeleton brake caliper for sale. I am in the process of building up a fixie, and I was planning on going with just one brake on the front.

If I got the proper bolt size, would anyone have concerns about running a rear Skeleton brake on the front?

Make sure the pads point the right direction, get a long brake nut, install and go ride.

Mark McM
10-07-2015, 03:19 PM
With only a few exceptions*, front brake calipers are identical to rear brake calipers, except for the bolt length. And sometimes the bolt length isn't even different. Old external nut style brakes required longer bolts than modern internal nut brakes. The bolt length of a rear external nut brake is the same as the bolt length of a front internal nut brake, so in this case, the front brake is completely identical to the rear brake.

*One of the few exceptions is Campagnolo's differential brakes, which use a dual pivot front brake and a single pivot rear brake.

tbar23
10-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Great, thanks for all of the responses.

It sounds as if this is one of the dual-pivot rear brakes ...

Thanks, again.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 08:22 PM

I'm confused. If the threaded part of the caliper(bolt) is long, it's a front brake, if short, a rear brake. If it's short, use a long nut and put on front. If it's long, it's a front caliper. The 'bolt' is the male part, the 'nut' is the female part. PC be damned.:D

tbar23
10-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Seller said, "What I thought was a front was really a back caliper with a long bolt."

ElHardeen
10-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Since we mentioned the rear brake, have a quick trick.

Ideally to simulate a road bike one would run both front and rear brake levers, even without a rear brake caliper. Problem is right/rear lever flops around as it is unattached and without tension. Run a brake cable through it and fasten it under the lever's clamp. Just don't forget to pre-stretch it otherwise it will still flop. once the cable stretches.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2015, 05:44 AM

Ideally to simulate a road bike one would run both front and rear brake levers, even without a rear brake caliper. Problem is right/rear lever flops around as it is unattached and without tension. Run a brake cable through it and fasten it under the lever's clamp. Just don't forget to pre-stretch it otherwise it will still flop. once the cable stretches.

Or just take the brake blade off.

Cicli
10-08-2015, 05:58 AM

Cables dont stretch.

Keith A
10-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Cables dont stretch.A quick search of the Internet seems to indicate differently :confused:

Mark McM
10-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Cables 'stretch' just like chains 'stretch' - which is to say, they don't actually stretch, they just give the impression of stretching.

Cables are run through housings, which are connected with fittings, ferrules and cable stops. As housings settle into fittings and stops, the housing length effectively becomes shorter, which makes the cable extend out of the housing a little further, as if the cable itself had stretched.

Keith A
10-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Mark McM -- Thanks for your informative reply.