PDA

View Full Version : OT. Ideas for a retail shop.

Tony
10-07-2015, 10:23 AM
My mom has a shop in a great location, downtown Sacramento. Half of the shop is a dance studio were she still teaches dancing in the evening. The other half is a clothing boutique.
Both businesses are very slow. She wants to start something new and keeps asking me for ideas. The shop next to her has opened a vapor cigarette boutique and is doing well.
Does anyone here having any ideas of what goods or commodities may do well in retail?
Thanks

SoCalSteve
10-07-2015, 10:34 AM
My mom has a shop in a great location, downtown Sacramento. Half of the shop is a dance studio were she still teaches dancing in the evening. The other half is a clothing boutique.
Both businesses are very slow. She wants to start something new and keeps asking me for ideas. The shop next to her has opened a vapor cigarette boutique and is doing well.
Does anyone here having any ideas of what goods or commodities may do well in retail?
Thanks

Lung cancer clinic...at least it would be very convenient....:eek:

gjc985
10-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Craft beer store. Even when the economy blows people end up drinking more.

gjc985
10-07-2015, 10:35 AM
and if the customers next door smoke i'd be willing to bet they like good beer.

rugbysecondrow
10-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks

How many square feet does she have? What are the ceiling heights?

Thanks,

Paul

Tony
10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
How many square feet does she have? What are the ceiling heights?

Thanks,

Paul

She has about 600 sq ft and the ceiling is very high.
Thanks

fogrider
10-07-2015, 10:46 AM
tea pump

Idris Icabod
10-07-2015, 10:53 AM
VW recall center.

rugbysecondrow
10-07-2015, 11:08 AM
She has about 600 sq ft and the ceiling is very high.
Thanks

She has a dance studio and a boutique in 600 sf? That is tight.

If it were bigger, I think a good idea is a 24/7 fitness location. A place where people can gain access anytime of day, via swipe card, and workout. No personal training or other amenities, more of a corporate fitness center structure. Lower monthly rates, but less overhead.

weaponsgrade
10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
A Montessori preschool. I could be buying a custom frame every month for what I'm paying to send my kids to one.

djg21
10-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks

Medical marijuana.

vqdriver
10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
as a landlord, i'll just add that retail goods in general seem to be struggling. obviously if you're in a destination location or larger complex that generates foot traffic that's mitigated to an extent. but the busiest businesses seem to be service, not product oriented. think skin care clinic, beauty/nail/hair salons, food/beverage service (but that's a whole other headache). i know nothing about dance or your location's demographic, but trendy workout studios do well. bar workouts, yoga, etc. spin and pilates would require equipment that would make co-locating with the existing dance studio difficult, but others require little more than ballet bars or open space.

Ken Robb
10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Lung cancer clinic...at least it would be very convenient....:eek:
coffee out my nose---THANKS a lot Steve.

vqdriver
10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Medical marijuana.

never mind. do that ^

Ken Robb
10-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Craft beer store. Even when the economy blows people end up drinking more.

Liquor license probably costs too much to amortize in a shop with only 600 sq.ft.

Ken Robb
10-07-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't know the area. What are the demographics? Do they change much from day time to night time; are the workers in the area different from the residents? Are there many residents? How is the parking (night and day)? Is it free-standing? Does she own it? Can floor area be increased with a loft?

Avincent52
10-07-2015, 12:10 PM
I'll agree. It ought to be a "service" business rather than retail.
The reality is that on-line prices at Amazon and elsewhere are lower than wholesale for many, if not most businesses. I can buy my own book cheaper at Amazon than I can as the author direct from the publisher.
And Ribble has Campy parts way under what a U.S. retailer buys them for.

Not sure what that business is. If I knew, I'd be running it.

joe.e
10-07-2015, 01:09 PM
I was up in sacramento visiting family last year, and it seems like downtown sac (and downtown grass valley) never really recovered from the economic downturn a couple years ago. hard place to open a business...

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks

Marijuana :eek:

Tony
10-07-2015, 01:14 PM
She has a dance studio and a boutique in 600 sf? That is tight.

If it were bigger, I think a good idea is a 24/7 fitness location. A place where people can gain access anytime of day, via swipe card, and workout. No personal training or other amenities, more of a corporate fitness center structure. Lower monthly rates, but less overhead.

I was wrong, its 800 sq ft not including the bathroom.
Thanks

djg21
10-07-2015, 01:18 PM
Marijuana :eek:

Great minds . . . .:beer:

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Great minds . . . .:beer:

Many many more weed stores in Boulder that liquor stores. None go under for lack of biz, they commit suicide(sell to underage-get busted) but plenty of biz.

It'll be legal country wide eventually.

MattTuck
10-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Bicycle fit studio. lol.

Seriously though, is your mom the owner of the space looking to rent it out? or she wants to do something new in the space? I'd say that whatever we come up with, it won't matter much if she isn't interested/doesn't have the capabilities/knowledge to pull it off.

On top of that, we know nothing about the area. I'd say that yoga would be the easiest/most similar type of thing to get into... if you could do small yoga classes, that might work.

Tony
10-07-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't know the area. What are the demographics? Do they change much from day time to night time; are the workers in the area different from the residents? Are there many residents? How is the parking (night and day)? Is it free-standing? Does she own it? Can floor area be increased with a loft?

Its on a busy street and active area day and night, blocks away from the downtown district. It really is a fantastic location, reason why my mom wants to keep it. There is commercial and residential in the area, mostly commercial.
The structure is on a corner with apartments above. She leases the property and cannot increase the footage.
Thanks

mg2ride
10-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Not retail, but service.

Tattoo removal is going to sky rocket over the next 20 years!

Close the dance studio. Open a tattoo shop on one side and a Tattoo removal service on the other.

Having them next to each other will help both by drawing attention to them.

mg2ride
10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Cell phones that are low cost, no contract phones (Trac Phones) and advertise them as burners! Every other middle aged married man will buy one.

For a percentage I will give you the name to use. It's golden!

Tony
10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Seriously though, is your mom the owner of the space looking to rent it out? or she wants to do something new in the space? I'd say that whatever we come up with, it won't matter much if she isn't interested/doesn't have the capabilities/knowledge to pull it off.

She has leased this place for 15 years. It was first a dance studio and did very well for many years. The last five years my mom split the studio and make it into a boutique due to the dancing business slowing down. She wants to start new with something different in retail.
Thanks

shovelhd
10-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Bicycle fit studio.

Close. Spin studio.

Mrs. Shovel works at a women's clothing store. They have many repeat customers that come from all over New England to shop there regularly, as well as visitors from all over the country. It's all about location, product selection and exceptional customer service. They have nine stores. Some of the smaller ones are in the 600 square foot range. They are all located in small urban centers near colleges that are destination areas. The customer demographics are young to middle aged professionals.

mg2ride
10-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Same sex wedding cake toppers and other decorative items targeting gay marriages and other gay celebrations.

SoCalSteve
10-07-2015, 01:48 PM
This is all the rage here in LA. (https://cardiobarre.com)

They franchise.

shovelhd
10-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Same sex wedding cake toppers and other decorative items targeting gay marriages and other gay celebrations.

That space better have a loading dock. :hello:

mg2ride
10-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Stand up office work stands and furniture that would allow you to adapt a normal work desk.

mg2ride
10-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Hand made artesian (maybe custom) greeting cards.

Tony
10-07-2015, 01:57 PM

She is two blocks away from the rainbow district!

R3awak3n
10-07-2015, 02:30 PM
thats funny, if you had not said a vape shop I would have said that.

They are popping up everywhere and the weird thing is that they are popping up even in small towns (I don't understand this but it is obviously working).

I would say, open a coffee shop or something liek that

mg2ride
10-07-2015, 02:47 PM
thats funny, if you had not said a vape shop I would have said that.

They are popping up everywhere and the weird thing is that they are popping up even in small towns (I don't understand this but it is obviously working).

I would say, open a coffee shop or something liek that

Maybe not. At least 1/2 of them will fail within a few years.

In small scale retail one they start popping up everywhere, it's way too late.

R3awak3n
10-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Maybe not. At least 1/2 of them will fail within a few years.

In small scale retail one they start popping up everywhere, it's way too late.
that is interesting. I just found it odd that they are popping up in small towns (like really small towns that I would think last think you think they would need is a stupid vape shop).

JAGI410
10-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Coffee roaster/artisan coffee beans

SoCalSteve
10-07-2015, 03:32 PM

This! If done well, you will have people lining up around the block for a latte and a pastry...and, they will take home a pound of beans to boot!

Bruce K
10-07-2015, 04:18 PM
There is a local store that specializes in K-cups

Good variety of coffees, teas, and cocoas, and very competitive prices

Might work well in 600 sq ft

BK

brockd15
10-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Frozen yogurt shop could be an option in a small space, the kind where you add your own toppings and pay by weight.

Tons of them popped up a few years ago, you could find a new one on every corner, but most have faded away. The ones I see that survived seem to stay busy.

arazate
10-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Ebay assist store (take a percentage of the sale)

Tony
10-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I was up in sacramento visiting family last year, and it seems like downtown sac (and downtown grass valley) never really recovered from the economic downturn a couple years ago. hard place to open a business...

Downtown Sacto is going through some changes, now with the Kings arena being built between Old Sacto and the mall we may see the downtown mall area come back. The surrounding business spreading south, north and east of downtown seem to all be doing very well.

Tickdoc
10-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Fake eyelash salon.

Low overhead, high production, return customers.

Frankwurst
10-07-2015, 07:32 PM

My suggestion as well. Everyone I've seen or been in seems to do well.:beer:

carpediemracing
10-07-2015, 07:38 PM
convenience store?

Louis
10-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Can someone just pick a product from thin air and expect to be able to do a good job selling it?

Wouldn't it be better to pick something you either know well or something that excites you enough for you to be able to get others excited about it?

If you expect to succeed over time and do better than your competition what's the "special sauce" you're going to bring to the table?

Tony
10-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Can someone just pick a product from thin air and expect to be able to do a good job selling it?

Wouldn't it be better to pick something you either know well or something that excites you enough for you to be able to get others excited about it?

If you expect to succeed over time and do better than your competition what's the "special sauce" you're going to bring to the table?

I would say yes to your first two questions. Yes, its possible to pick a product from thin air that one could be successful selling and over time maybe excited about. I know two friends that fit that description. And yes it would be great to be passionate about what your selling, for sure.

I just don't have any ideas for my mom. I think she would do great selling most any product outside of food, drink, drugs, tobacco. My mom is from the middle east and is very active for her age, still teaches belly dancing, and spends lots of her time feeding the homeless. Here she is on the KCRA A list http://kcra.cityvoter.com/jodette-s-belly-dance-academy/biz/169973

SoCalSteve
10-07-2015, 09:01 PM
I would say yes to your first two questions. Yes, its possible to pick a product from thin air that one could be successful selling and over time maybe excited about. I know two friends that fit that description. And yes it would be great to be passionate about what your selling, for sure.

I just don't have any ideas for my mom. I think she would do great selling most any product outside of food, drink, drugs, tobacco. My mom is from the middle east and is very active for her age, still teaches belly dancing, and spends lots of her time feeding the homeless. Here she is on the KCRA A list http://kcra.cityvoter.com/jodette-s-belly-dance-academy/biz/169973

Too bad she doesn't like the idea of selling food. Is she a good cook? Middle Eastern style? Maybe Sacramento needs a good middle eastern restaurant...

Oh, you mom sounds like an incredible person! I wish her nothing but the best in whatever endeavor she embarks upon!!!

Tony
10-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Too bad she doesn't like the idea of selling food. Is she a good cook? Middle Eastern style? Maybe Sacramento needs a good middle eastern restaurant...

Oh, you mom sounds like an incredible person! I wish her nothing but the best in whatever endeavor she embarks upon!!!

She is a good cook, so much so that she did have a middle eastern restaurant and it was very successful. However it was a lot of work so she sold that business.

She really is an incredible women.
Thanks SoCal

buldogge
10-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Simplify...Fresh juice/smoothie bar, simple halal "snacks", middle-eastern breads/pastries, strong turkish coffee (and espresso).

Run tie-ins/meet-ups with the dance studio (cum fitness hang-out). Joined spaces...make it a neighborhood hang-out for the young mom set.

-Mark in St. Louis

She is a good cook, so much so that she did have a middle eastern restaurant and it was very successful. However it was a lot of work so she sold that business.

She really is an incredible women.
Thanks SoCal

oldpotatoe
10-08-2015, 05:48 AM

Sure, happens all the time, just not the 'good job selling it', part. A big reason so much retail goes under each year. "I walked onto the gizmo store, it was really crowded, I'll go start my own gizmo store, gotta do well, right?"

gjc985
10-08-2015, 07:19 AM
coffee/beers/bikes

Avincent52
10-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Sure, happens all the time, just not the 'good job selling it', part. A big reason so much retail goes under each year. "I walked onto the gizmo store, it was really crowded, I'll go start my own gizmo store, gotta do well, right?"

If you can buy it on Amazon, the margins don't work for brick and mortar.

redir
10-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Your mom seems very cool and a very driven person. I have no suggestions but hope the best for her. As SoCalSteve suggested it's too bad she doesn't like food. I know if a real deal Mid Eastern place opened up in my small town I'd be in there weekly.

jr59
10-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Simplify...Fresh juice/smoothie bar, simple halal "snacks", middle-eastern breads/pastries, strong turkish coffee (and espresso).

Run tie-ins/meet-ups with the dance studio (cum fitness hang-out). Joined spaces...make it a neighborhood hang-out for the young mom set.

-Mark in St. Louis

This is worth taking a second look at.

Without knowing the local people/ neighborhood this is very hard to give reasonable ideas

drewski
10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Take a look at the Spoke Easy here in Charlotte. They are a full-service bike shops selling lots of utilitarian bicycles i.e Surly , Yoga Studio and
also serve beer. That is what a call diversification.

seanile
10-08-2015, 08:43 AM
spin studio. up front fixed cost and then low continuing variable costs. pretty damn popular these days.

Jaq
10-08-2015, 11:30 PM

Scotch Boutique, motherキキキキers.

nm87710
10-08-2015, 11:59 PM
My mom has a shop in a great location
Both businesses are very slow.

The statements are contradictory.

oldpotatoe
10-09-2015, 06:52 AM
this is worth taking a second look at.

Without knowing the local people/ neighborhood this is very hard to give reasonable ideas

pawn shop!!!

gjc985
10-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Home health care agency? very easy to start up...

Ken Robb
10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
sub-lease to someone with the drive and optimism to run a successful business there. I'm guessing that her existing lease rate is less than the current rates so she may be able to make some $$ with minimal effort.

I don't think anyone has pointed out that uses are probably restricted by zoning laws and that even if zoning doesn't prohibit serving food/drink adding all the required kitchen equipment and sanitation systems would probably preclude that kind of business.

Tony
10-09-2015, 09:46 AM
sub-lease to someone with the drive and optimism to run a successful business there. I'm guessing that her existing lease rate is less than the current rates so she may be able to make some $$ with minimal effort.

Sub leasing is a good idea. I have someone lined up who REALLY wants the place and is calling me weekly. He wants to sell everything 80s. He is currently going to flee markets and from what I understand is doing very well with this product. Yes her lease rate is very low for the area and she could profit leasing.
However, shes not ready to let go.
Thanks Ken