PDA

View Full Version : So I got this bike but...

Dr Luxurious
10-07-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/2015/cyclocross-1/mares-cx-1/mares-cx-10-disc.html

... but it's got Shimano brifters. I just don't like the STI design. I've run Campy since Ergo came out (and for 10 years before that).
I could change the shifters and rear deregulator easily enough buuuuuut this bike has hydraulic brakes. So I guess I'd have to change to mechanical discs. Or would I?

CampyorBust
10-07-2015, 09:38 AM
A red cap, Speedo and Campy 11 speed with red in the logos would look nice on that. (10speed Centaur as well). I don't think there is a mechanical-hydraulic disc brake adapter.

Team Zissou for life! :beer:

FlashUNC
10-07-2015, 09:39 AM
You would unless you want to hang it on a rack until Campy decides to release their hydro brakes. Whenever that will be.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 10:13 AM
You would unless you want to hang it on a rack until Campy decides to release their hydro brakes. Whenever that will be.

2017, you'll see prototypes in 2016.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/2015/cyclocross-1/mares-cx-1/mares-cx-10-disc.html

... but it's got Shimano brifters. I just don't like the STI design. I've run Campy since Ergo came out (and for 10 years before that).
I could change the shifters and rear deregulator easily enough buuuuuut this bike has hydraulic brakes. So I guess I'd have to change to mechanical discs. Or would I?

Dump the Shimano, get Campag and some TRP discs, go ride.

redir
10-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Or just get used to the Shimano. I ride both it's no big deal.

saab2000
10-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Something looks fishy on that picture. Those look like the 785 levers which are Di2 but the derailleur is clearly mechanical.

Right now, by most accounts, Shimano is the gold standard for hydraulic braking.

Like others here I was a lifelong Campagnolo user. Then I got some Shimano and now I'm agnostic. This morning I rode my Shimano bike. Somedays I ride my Campagnolo bikes. There's effectively no difference when they're set up properly. None.

That Focus looks nice but I'm curious about the levers. Something seems amiss.

Mark McM
10-07-2015, 10:32 AM
If converted to cable actuated brakes, there might be a concern about cable routing. This bike appears to use internally routed hydraulic lines, which may be able to be converted to cable housings, but I'd check that out first. If not, then you may be able to use a system like the Hope V-Twin disc brakes, which use a cable-to-hydraulic converter mounted at the stem, and then runs hydraulic lines to the brakes.

charliedid
10-07-2015, 10:33 AM
That bike is a great bike...ride the hell out of it.

First world problem.

MacMan
10-07-2015, 10:43 AM
If converted to cable actuated brakes, there might be a concern about cable routing. This bike appears to use internally routed hydraulic lines, which may be able to be converted to cable housings, but I'd check that out first. If not, then you may be able to use a system like the Hope V-Twin disc brakes, which use a cable-to-hydraulic converter mounted at the stem, and then runs hydraulic lines to the brakes.

. . . unless you can run cable. In that case, the TRP HY/RD are better and cheaper than the Hope system. Just use compression-less housing and they are 90% of full hydros.

Slow Eddie
10-07-2015, 10:47 AM
...First world problem.

You could say that about just about every bike-related issue that's brought up on this board, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Luxurious
10-07-2015, 10:49 AM
If converted to cable actuated brakes, there might be a concern about cable routing. This bike appears to use internally routed hydraulic lines,

crap. yep. I'll have to look at that.

-----

it has 685 levers in real life.

-----

Dump the Shimano, get Campag and some TRP discs, go ride.

there it is.

I guess I also need to find some compatible hubs so I can build some sew ups.
I guess I also need to find a pile of money.

Cicli
10-07-2015, 10:54 AM

I bet the Focus dealer has a pile that looks familiar. :bike:

Seriously, nice bike. At least its not sHram. :fight:

charliedid
10-07-2015, 10:58 AM
You could say that about just about every bike-related issue that's brought up on this board, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could, but I don't

brockd15
10-07-2015, 11:09 AM
crap. yep. I'll have to look at that.

-----

it has 685 levers in real life.

-----

there it is.

I guess I also need to find some compatible hubs so I can build some sew ups.

Hmmm. Ping me if you go that route and want to part with the 685 levers/brakes. I have some TRP Spyres I was just about to install but have been thinking about hydraulic.

stien
10-07-2015, 11:18 AM
The new shimano shifting is quite different from what it used to be. Have you given it a chance?

DrSpoke
10-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Pricey but just saw these on eBay yesterday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Campagnolo-Super-record-11-speed-EPS-levers-with-Hydraulic-Disc-Brakes-/262077489666?hash=item3d05092202

Also, there are mechanical to hydraulic adapters. The ones I've seen are a little box that sits under the stem - a cable to the box and hydraulic from there.

biker72
10-07-2015, 12:21 PM
The new shimano shifting is quite different from what it used to be. Have you given it a chance?

Very true. I really like the 105 disc setup on my Crux.

Dr Luxurious
10-07-2015, 05:02 PM
no, haven't really given it a good trial. just remember how much I hated the STI of yore...

brockd15 - hey, cool. you're local, too...

I bought this (slightly) used BTW so I paid less than what a mid-level frameset costs new.

charliedid
10-07-2015, 08:00 PM
no, haven't really given it a good trial. just remember how much I hated the STI of yore...

brockd15 - hey, cool. you're local, too...

I bought this (slightly) used BTW so I paid less than what a mid-level frameset costs new.

That makes more sense...but I'd still give it a solid shot as is. That's a great riding bike and that group is outstanding IMO

Have fun!

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Something looks fishy on that picture. Those look like the 785 levers which are Di2 but the derailleur is clearly mechanical.

Right now, by most accounts, Shimano is the gold standard for hydraulic braking.

Like others here I was a lifelong Campagnolo user. Then I got some Shimano and now I'm agnostic. This morning I rode my Shimano bike. Somedays I ride my Campagnolo bikes. There's effectively no difference when they're set up properly. None.

That Focus looks nice but I'm curious about the levers. Something seems amiss.

Oh but there is, there is.....................