PDA

View Full Version : Any idea where I can source replacement hoods for 5500/6500 brifters?

jeffwidman
10-06-2015, 05:41 AM
Picked up a new project bike off craigslist today and while the brifters work fine, the hoods are totally shot.

I just spent two hours fruitlessly searching Google, eBay, etc for replacement hoods. They're 5500 series, although my internet research indicates the same hoods were used for 6500 and 6510 series.

Anyone have any ideas for where to source these?
Or know of a NOS pair tucked away in a back corner at their LBS?

I'm open to non-OEM, but unfortunately Hudz only makes 6600 series and newer... this bike will be my rain/beater bike, so used hoods are fine too--anything will be a step up from the halfway-split hoods on there right now.

jeffwidman
10-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Another forum member helped me source a pair from his LBS. This community never ceases to amaze me.

brockd15
10-06-2015, 05:09 PM
I think you'll have a hard time finding only the hoods, and if you do they'll probably be pricey, but you can sometimes pick up broken shifters on ebay for cheap that still have good hoods. That's what I'd look for.

Peter P.
10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Another forum member helped me source a pair from his LBS. This community never ceases to amaze me.

Same thing happened to me. I believe it was a forum member from Canada, and his local Canadian shop.

I'd try calling around to your local bike shops. Some have stock they never used or may have suppliers with stock waiting to be sold.