PDA

View Full Version : eBay Purchase Help/Advice (damage/packaging)

jwess1234
10-05-2015, 09:30 PM
I was planning to put a happy post up on the "recent purchase" thread, but am posting this instead. I recently bought a 2011 Specialized Allez steel with 105 (5800) components and Mavic Aksium wheels to be my commuter bike. $825 shipped seemed like a decent deal for a complete bike with 105 that looked in good condition.

I get the bike only to see the drop outs in the fork were either damaged before shipping and/or improperly shipped. You can see the dropouts are poking through the box and there was no foam or anything below to protect during shipment. YOu can see the right dropout was substantially bent/squeezed inward and paint was scraped off.

Anyone have any sage advise? I've already documented everything with pictures in and out of the box and sent them to myself to time stamp them. I should contact the seller ASAP--was thinking of offering him to replace the fork--any other thoughts, recommendations (if fixable, how much of a refund, etc)?

Appreciated in advance.

ultraman6970
10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
It is fixable... the seller packed the thing wrong??? hell yes!!! You never put the fork in a position were it can poke off the box sides.

If you put like a 14 mm spanner, and then you torque it out so it opens the drop out.

I would contact the guy 1st, to see what he can do about it. Are the rest of the parts ok?

dave thompson
10-05-2015, 09:36 PM
I would:
A: contact seller with pics and ask what he intends to do about it. Don't volunteer to do anything yourself.

B: file an eBay/PayPal dispute.

Seller should stand behind his item 100%, it's a monumental crap packing job and other things could be wrong.

NickR
10-05-2015, 10:31 PM
I would:
A: contact seller with pics and ask what he intends to do about it. Don't volunteer to do anything yourself.

Seller should stand behind his item 100%, it's a monumental crap packing job and other things could be wrong.

What he said.

Contact the seller and inform him of the visible damage. State that in your opinion the damage was caused by improper packaging and state the reason(s). Let him know that you plan to go over the bike again in case you missed anything on your first inspection and will follow up when time permits. This buys you time to go over the bike,do a shake down ride if posible and research the cost to repair/replace.

Pegoready
10-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Seconded. Keep in mind that eBay is on the buyers side, which is good for you, but be prepared to return the item in its entirety for a full refund (seller pays shipping in this case since the item is "damaged or not as described").

I would think that if you really wanted to keep it and the fork is the only thing damaged, a $250 partial refund is fair. You'll never find a color match Allez fork but you can get something decent for 250.

You should definitely put it in the seller's court though. Don't volunteer anything.

I would:

jwess1234
10-05-2015, 10:46 PM
While describe as "Frame is beautiful" and "Free from dents or dings" I found a few additional problems. Seat stay was considerably scratched up (first pic) and there are a few other scratches and cover ups here and there (second pic on seat tube).

I am new to steel and don't know how serious these are, but the chain stay certainly isn't "ding free." Is there a potential for internal rust/structural problem?

I am torn: on one hand overall frustration and a gut reaction to return (plus ask for refund + shipping costs). On the other hand, I the bike otherwise seems decent and a good deal.

Thanks in advance on any thoughts on potential damage to steel (or any other thoughts).

ultraman6970
10-05-2015, 10:56 PM
If the bike is steel you wont have problems with those scratches... if the scratches were not in the description or pictured then IMO the guy screwed up... he should have stated that. In the other hand if he said usual wear and tear well... those scratches are wear and tear... I imagine you can live with those cover ups?

Try for the situation in good terms 1st... no need to get like super mad... if that doesnt work, time get pissed. A partial refund probably will get you happy, right?

dave thompson
10-05-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm extremely fussy and particular when I pack a bike for shipment. I want it to arrive in the condition that I sent it. Therefore I'm quite hardcore when I receive something that is damaged from a bad packing job.

If I were in your shoes, I would contact the seller with pictures and descriptions of the damages and ask: "What do you intend to do about this?" If he replied back to me with: "What would you like?" I'd tell him either a substantial refund or a full refund and payment of the return shipping costs. I would consider a "substantial refund" to be something in the neighborhood of 25%.

His description of the condition of the bike wasn't correct, and his packing job further damaged the bike. I think you have a very strong case.

Based on your pics, the damage to the bike is purely cosmetic. Steel bikes are tough to kill.

jwess1234
10-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Thank you all for your help. Going to message the eBay seller now--hopefully I get a quick response and I will let you know how it goes.

Pegoready
10-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Is that a dent on the seat tube?

Those scratches and paint touch ups not being mentioned is pretty bogus.

I'd open up a return request with ebay and return the thing. Be sure to put the reason as item damaged or not as described so they charge the shipping to the seller. You can do a lot better for $900.

pdmtong
10-06-2015, 12:13 AM
really? is your budget so tight you are willing to accept something that is not right just because you rationalize it to be a deal sort of?

send it back and start again.

jwess1234
10-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Seller was very quick to respond. He is contacting Specialized (works for a dealer) about forks tomorrow morning (he would bear cost and ship asap). He also offered a full refund. I asked him if there are no forks to look into whether Spec has any of the last year aluminum Allez framesets are trying to move out of inventory.

Pleased with his responsiveness so far--I am positive it will be resolved one way or another.

OtayBW
10-06-2015, 04:10 AM
The guy works for a Spec dealer and then states that the "Frame is beautiful" and "Free from dents or dings" and packs it with the dropouts unsecured? He should know better. I would be leery of this guy....:no:

happycampyer
10-06-2015, 04:23 AM
That's not actually damage, it's a safety feature called a lawyer's sphincter.

Agree with others who suggest returning it and starting over.

oldpotatoe
10-06-2015, 06:14 AM
I would:

What he said. The seller needs to make this right, regardless of who packed it.

At the minimum, a new fork, or a refund.

grawk
10-06-2015, 08:43 AM
for future reference, I'd just refuse any package that came with forks having come out of the cardboard in transit like that.

eippo1
10-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Um, that seatstay damage makes it look like the bike was laid down at some point as well. I'd just send that one back since he did not disclose it.

velomateo
10-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Even though the seller seems to want to remedy the situation, I would open a dispute anyway...just to protect yourself.

If you decide to keep the frame, I would expect a substantial discount due to the undocumented huge scratch and dented seat tube. I personally, would expect minimum $150 refund + new fork. Good luck with this, I hope you can resolve it to your liking.

Cicli
10-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Thats a bummer.
The seller says "Professionally packaged". I say send it back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-Allez-Steel-bike-105-Ultegra-56cm-/191581862525?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=fk9etBuQzBBJLJDkN0Ab0Z4rKxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Pegoready
10-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Thats a bummer.
The seller says "Professionally packaged". I say send it back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-Allez-Steel-bike-105-Ultegra-56cm-/191581862525?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=fk9etBuQzBBJLJDkN0Ab0Z4rKxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I don't think that's the bike. I think it's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56cm-2011-Specialized-Allez-Steel-Road-Bike-/281810254312?hash=item419d3339e8&nma=true&si=rKINvCpCGzddySMc3geuGM882kQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Either way, still says "Free from dents or dings". BS!

Cicli
10-06-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't think that's the bike. I think it's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56cm-2011-Specialized-Allez-Steel-Road-Bike-/281810254312?hash=item419d3339e8&nma=true&si=rKINvCpCGzddySMc3geuGM882kQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Either way, still says "Free from dents or dings". BS!

The one I linked to shows the same seat stay scrapes.

SpokeValley
10-06-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm extremely fussy and particular when I pack a bike for shipment. I want it to arrive in the condition that I sent it. Therefore I'm quite hardcore when I receive something that is damaged from a bad packing job.

If I were in your shoes, I would contact the seller with pictures and descriptions of the damages and ask: "What do you intend to do about this?" If he replied back to me with: "What would you like?" I'd tell him either a substantial refund or a full refund and payment of the return shipping costs. I would consider a "substantial refund" to be something in the neighborhood of 25%.

His description of the condition of the bike wasn't correct, and his packing job further damaged the bike. I think you have a very strong case.

Based on your pics, the damage to the bike is purely cosmetic. Steel bikes are tough to kill.

This^^

Not as described and the packing was by an amateur by all accounts. Just another of life's distractions. Good luck.

m_sasso
10-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Certainly improperly packaged and entitled to a refund on that basis alone however I don't quite understand or agree with the claim on the condition, this image is clearly posted and the condition is described as Used, "Has some small paint chips here and there, nothing big"

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/1fcAAOSw~OdVV8C3/$_57.JPG

lemondvictoire
10-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Looks like bike was sold few months ago and that buyer became latest seller to last buyer(poster). Last seller switched out the nicer wheels and components and did not disclose the scratches and blems ....Dishonest description of and poor packing in my book.....My vote would be to return for total refund via Paypal.......

Lewis Moon
10-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Open an ebay dispute for sure, if only for backup. Seller needs to refund all associated costs. This was completely preventable. These are not your problems.

jwess1234
10-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Seller will be sending a new fork. This will at least make it functional.

@m_sasso, I'm not sure where you got that pic. It is clearly the same bike, but it was not posted on the eBay listing I purchased or in any of the pics (I download them all and printed the listing when I purchased to protect myself). It is also clear that the seller was buying and reselling, since he took the 105 brakes and gave me some off brand (which I knew from the listing).

I will give it a week or so to see where the fork is before filing a dispute at eBay. At the end of the day this is a commuter and will get banged up so it's not worth more time/mental energy to obsess. If I hate it, I can always move the components to another frame.

Certainly improperly packaged and entitled to a refund on that basis alone however I don't quite understand or agree with the claim on the condition, this image is clearly posted and the condition is described as Used, "Has some small paint chips here and there, nothing big"

ultraman6970
10-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Many seller give by understood what is in the pictures and they dont put it in the detail in the description, IMO thats a big mistake but if it says scrapes here and there and the picture of the stay with that paint repair... well it is a thing of opinion now, the picture is there... so is not that it must be a surprise upon arrival, the issue is the fork.

Honestly that fork can be fixed with simple tools, the thing for me is to talk with the guy so at least he gives him some money back.

Slow Eddie
10-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Was there a fork block rattling around in the bottom of the box, as if it had been there when the bike was packed and became dislodged in transit? Or was there no evidence that there was anything protecting the fork ends at any point?

Not trying to defend the seller, just trying to to figure out how a shop employee could do such a hack job describing and boxing a bike.

jwess1234
10-06-2015, 09:52 PM
No fork block in the box rattling, here is what the seller said: "I must have not put a fork stop in there but I usually do."

My take is he does a decent amount of volume buying and selling, moving parts around, makings few extra bucks on the side and this was a rush job.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2015, 06:14 AM
No fork block in the box rattling, here is what the seller said: "I must have not put a fork stop in there but I usually do."

My take is he does a decent amount of volume buying and selling, moving parts around, makings few extra bucks on the side and this was a rush job.

Fail..Needed not just a 'stop' but a platform for the fork, WITH a block also. One way or another, he needs to read about this.

4Rings6Stars
10-07-2015, 07:26 AM
I will admit I'm a bit over the top, but I usually spend about an hour (sometimes 1.5 hrs) packing a complete bike. Some buyers have thanked me for the safe packing job but complained it took them almost as much time to unpack it...

I did receive a vintage colnago (purchased here, I believe) a few years ago that was essentially just the frameset and handlebars dropped into a box without anything else. A few minor scratches from the bars clanging around but it was largely unscathed.

AJM100
10-07-2015, 07:40 AM
The seller your purchased from does not know what he is doing, check feedback has a "neutral" for description of a crankset and another - albeit positive - for a misdescription.

This guy is buying and selling used parts/bikes and is probably embellishing condition intentionally to get top dollar.

Send it back or demand that it be adjusted to reflect condition or damage w/o compromise.

AJM100
10-07-2015, 07:44 AM
further - get a photo and description of the fork he is sending before hand. I would not trust him with this. Make sure he measures the steerer tube too otherwise you will end up with a mismatch that may not fit. Good luck.