PDA

View Full Version : ? about Cantis & Mini-Vs

benb
10-05-2015, 10:11 AM
My current bike has TRP CX9s on it at the moment, but I had this problem with the Tektro CR720s it came with as well..

Namely I am constantly having to adjust the brakes to avoid squeaking. With the CR720s I was losing braking power in a big way too. The CX9s do not lose a ton of braking power very quickly but they squeal like mad as soon as the pads wear a little bit. (They do lose power, but they have enough it's OK.)

Basically it seems like almost once a week or two I need to go in and re-adjust the pad angles. That'll give me 150-200 squeal free miles before it starts again.

At the moment I have the Kool Stop pads that are 50/50 Salmon/black.

I seem to have this issue with both the front and rear brake. Fork & frame are 100% steel. Not a very high performance frame IMO. I had definite problems with steerer flex with the CR720s with the steerer-tube mounted cable hanger. The seat stays appear to be stiff enough that I can't see them visibly flex when squeezing the rear brake hard. (I have seen that on MTB frames that I owned years ago.)

I am used to using regular old Shimano dual pivot/whatever road brakes (105/Ultegra/DA). On those I basically never had to touch the pad angles at all.. just stick the pads on and tighten the cable as they wore, then put new pads on and adjust the cable again when needed. And they just about always stopped better no matter what pads I put on.

Any advice?

Vinci
10-05-2015, 11:04 AM
I also use CX9's on a steel frame, though with KoolStop salmons. I find that the squealing on mine usually comes around when the rims get cleaned. If I go over the bike and wipe the brake tracks down, the brakes will squeal like crazy for a commute or two until they get some pad material (or whatever) back on the tracks. Then they quiet down and continue to work great.

Do you perhaps clean your brake tracks regularly?

Dave B
10-05-2015, 12:16 PM
you caqn always sand the pads a bit as they tend to glaze over. Scuff up the pad surface and it should work just fine. No need to keep adjusting the pads.

I just removed the wheel or the cable and took some sand paper to it.

benb
10-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Do you perhaps clean your brake tracks regularly?

Ah.. that's it. I cleaned the brake tracks & pads Thursday night last week. The squeal ride in question was saturday... interestingly no squealing till about 30 miles into the ride though.

I will see if it goes away.