PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Spooky?

10-4
10-04-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm in the market for a new frame. I've been really happy with aluminum in the past and was thinking about a Spooky.

Are they still around? Is Frank making them? Anyone know who the people behind Spooky are?

peanutgallery
10-04-2015, 06:14 PM
You might pose that question across the hall or pick up the phone and call. Sitill on project facebook. That guy used to be pretty active over there but quiet as of late. Great frames and definitely walked to the beat of their own drummer

ergott
10-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Last I spoke, Mickey isn't doing Spooky anymore. I don't think anyone is, but correct me if I'm wrong. I have one made by Frank and would recommend contacting him if you are looking. Rock Lobster or Zanconato would also do some excellent custom aluminium. I know there are many others people here can recommend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10-4
10-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys. Anyone pitch in if you know. I sent Frank a email to see what's up. Their socials look pretty dead I guess.

jdp211
10-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Pretty sure Spooky is no more. Frank is pretty good about getting back to people, though it might take a couple of days.

10-4
10-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Pretty sure Spooky is no more. Frank is pretty good about getting back to people, though it might take a couple of days.

Awesome! I just emailed, so I wouldn't expect a response yet. Was just nosey I guess.

tele
10-05-2015, 05:57 AM
I believe Mickey is the head mechanic at the Berkshire East bike operation. I also don't think Spooky is kicking but I'm hoping its just in a coma waiting to wake up. FTW is your best option as of today.

Gordito
10-05-2015, 06:52 AM
I don't know what was wrong with Mickey's communication but when he changed his business model he didn't get a lot of attention.

I guess people were used to pay 700$ for a Spooky and would not pay premium price for custom models that were sill cheaper than standard Gaulzettis.

He should have self-proclaimed he could make the best race bikes instead of keeping the "fun/raw" attitude.

54ny77
10-05-2015, 07:03 AM
that overhyped "business," if you want to call it that, was a train wreck if there ever was one. i know several people who got the major runaround or outright screwed by his half-arsed business practices, including myself. no surprise it imploded.

there are about a million other better options out there to spend your hard-earned money for an alu. rig. such as rock lobster, et al.

echelon_john
10-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Agreed. Important to note that Frank is the one who actually built the bikes, and despite the issues with the business, the bikes were great, and Frank can still build you one with 100% of the function and 0% of the runaround. I got a bike from him last year that's excellent, and would recommend him to anyone looking for custom aluminum.

that overhyped "business," if you want to call it that, was a train wreck if there ever was one. i know several people who got the major runaround or outright screwed by his half-arsed business practices, including myself. no surprise it imploded.

there are about a million other better options out there to spend your hard-earned money for an alu. rig. such as rock lobster, et al.

54ny77
10-05-2015, 07:51 AM
maybe only those built by frank are of good quality. i know nothing of his wares personally and can't speak to it, other than what i've read (which seems to be he is highly accomplished).

mickey had others build 'em along the way. qc was horrendous. and i mean horrendous.

many small time builders who rely on hype don't have a pot to piss in and live from deposit to deposit. that's not exactly a sustainable business model.

Agreed. Important to note that Frank is the one who actually built the bikes, and despite the issues with the business, the bikes were great, and Frank can still build you one with 100% of the function and 0% of the runaround. I got a bike from him last year that's excellent, and would recommend him to anyone looking for custom aluminum.

ergott
10-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Frank didn't build all Spookys. There were batches made by at least one other builder, but I don't remember who.

weisan
10-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Rock Lobster or Zanconato would also do some excellent custom aluminium.

I will listen to this advice.
Throw Tsunami in the hat.

R3awak3n
10-05-2015, 08:17 AM
The batches of skeletors and havocstaffs were made in oregon by sapa (thnk that is the name) and they are no longer around.

I got my spooky used and never had a problem with it but mikey was sometimes hard to find. I tried to get stickers from him and paid for some and only got them after like 3 months... After waiting a couple of months i messaged and he said he lost all the stickers but then he did find them and sent em to me.

Mickey seems like a good guy though but he is definitely not a business man and that is what spooky really needed. They were trying all kinds of things (having a new york branch and start a cycling wear company) and all failed.

One thing is for sure, they frames are great and people love them, I love mine and they were great deals for a crit frame made in usa. Its a shame because they had a market they could have explores deeper, nit sure the only custom market was a smart move.

I think contacting ftw is the smart thing, he is probably one of the best alum bike welders in the world and i am sure would make you a fantastic bike. I would love to have an ftw someday thats for sure

fuzzalow
10-05-2015, 08:23 AM

Sad to hear but not wholly unexpected given the normal attrition rates on new "businesses" and new builders in particular. Man, I am truly repulsed by the rah rah on builders because it just pegs my BS Meter every time. Those fly by night scumbags always hook people on a price that makes prospective clients throw caution and diligence out of consideration.

There are builders that are worthy to their craft. And there are lots and lots of builders that are the pure embodiment of "semi-skilled labor" barely a half-step above an hourly-rate working in a slaughterhouse. And they tap into the emotion of bicycles to hoodwink that passion for their own semi-skilled clumsiness that has somehow elevated them to the realm of a craftsman. Because that became the hype that surrounded "custom" bikes in our self-delusionary corner of bicycle consumerism. Welcome to the seamy underside of the custom bike industry.

echelon_john
10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Didn't realize Frank didn't build all the Spookys...thanks for the knowledge!

One more shameless plug for Frank:

R3awak3n
10-05-2015, 06:51 PM
thats super sweet.

He definitely needs to hire someone to work on that logo though.

10-4
10-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all of the info, guys. I had this love affair with finding or having a purple ano Spooky made, sounding like it might not happen....

chiasticon
10-06-2015, 07:59 AM
well if anyone can get you something very close to it, it sounds like it'll be FTW. I love the ano'd Spooky's as well. wonder how many builders actually ano their alu frames...? only one I know currently doing it is Van Dessel (which are made by Zen Fabrications) but there's gotta be more.

tumbler
10-06-2015, 08:13 AM
thats super sweet.

He definitely needs to hire someone to work on that logo though.

+1. Despite his reputation in these circles, the logo (and even the name itself) is not ideal. I can't imagine how many people see that and assume it means "For the win". It is slightly better than "IMHO" though.

texbike
10-06-2015, 08:32 AM
that overhyped "business," if you want to call it that, was a train wreck if there ever was one. no surprise it imploded.

I had considered a Spooky around 2010, but a visit to the website (or was it a blog?) with blaring death metal and stupid quotes that had nothing to do with the bikes combined with a brief, dickish interaction with Mickey at the Austin NAHBS ensured that I would spend my $$$ elsewhere.

Throw Tsunami in the hat.

Absolutely!

If Joe DePalmalaere is still building, I'd look into a Primus Mootry as well.

Texbike

eippo1
10-06-2015, 09:17 AM
+1. Despite his reputation in these circles, the logo (and even the name itself) is not ideal. I can't imagine how many people see that and assume it means "For the win". It is slightly better than "IMHO" though.

He will put whatever you want on the downtube. I'd be tempted to go with FRANK in big letters.

alexstar
10-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Before the internet, "FTW" meant something else :banana:

echelon_john
10-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm happy with that connotation on my DT. I think Frank is too.

tumbler
10-06-2015, 04:33 PM

That too...

54ny77
10-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Fix the Weinmann?

:D

brando
10-06-2015, 05:44 PM
My Havokstaff made me a better rider!

Love Frank's blog, he has some INSANE stories up on there. He's a really good writer, too. Far better than a lot of these fancy new "authors" in print.

keppler
10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
If Joe DePalmalaere is still building, I'd look into a Primus Mootry as well.

Texbike

When I last emailed with Joe he said he won't take new orders until he's completed all his backlog.

I can't say enough about how great the experience was working with him to build my first custom Steel frame. I've put tons of mileage on it since I built it up last summer. It is just such a beast to ride!

I'm toying with him building me a Race oriented, lightweight aluminum frame in the future.