PDA

View Full Version : What are NE riders wearing to stay warm but not overheated?

guido
10-04-2015, 05:05 PM
That difficult season for dressing for the bike is back. 50s windy, a touch damp. Yesterday I wore a thermal jersey and a windshell and was cold. Today I wore the same weight jersey, a baselayer and a heavier jacket and was back and forth between overheated/sweaty and chilly. Any one found the ticket for comfort in these conditions?

Thanks!

AngryScientist
10-04-2015, 05:11 PM
the absolute KEY is a good baselayer that wicks moisture away from you and keeps you warm at the same time.

if you skip that hugely important layer and sweat and allow the sweat to make you chilly, it's a vicious cycle.

i like merino wool closest to the skin. add a mid layer temperature dependent and a windproof shell that can still breathe.

it's complicated. especially when the weather conditions are widely variable over a ride duration.

Gummee
10-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Those summer mesh base layers? The ones that are advertised to keep you cool in the high temps...

Warmest thing you'll wear all winter.

Start with one of those, add a wool layer (or two if its really cold) and go to town. I've got a few Castelli Seamless Sleeveless, a few Descente, and a few others I rotate thru

Each of the mesh's open areas traps a pocket of air that warms up. The fabric is usually wicking.

M

Bob Ross
10-04-2015, 05:43 PM
a windproof shell that can still breathe.

Does such a thing really exist?

charliedid
10-04-2015, 05:50 PM
I prefer layers of wool even if windy. That said I will wear a wind vest well into temps that lots of people are already into heavy jerseys and jackets.

Everyone is different and you really are left to trial and error. I use my Ibex wool vest a ton.

Lovetoclimb
10-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Q36.5

Maintain that perfect body temperature through innovative fabrics, versatility, and essentiality ....

pitonpat
10-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Eastern Mountain Sports tech wick short sleeve base layer, Patagonia R1 hoody insulation (attached hood is great for the cold, high-speed descents!), and an Outdoor Research Whirlwind soft-shell hoody. All items are breathable & wick moisture away from the body. None of these items are bike specific (actually are my go to items for climbing & backcountry skiing too), but the only thing I miss is the jersey pockets for tube repair or replacement. These can be stuffed into a cut off water bottle and then lodged in your seat post bidon cage.

This selection takes me down into the low 40's; anything lower and I add a merino wool base layer between the tech wick and the R1 hoody.

For the legs I wear bib knickers into the low 50's, and windproof tights over bike shorts for the 40's, adding a base layer again between shorts & tights if it's really cold.

Oh, and merino wool socks...always- even in summer. Again, they wick moisture from the skin. Simply vary the thickness according to the season. Oh, and shoe covers for cold weather too.

witcombusa
10-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Wool

Nothing works as well. Still warm when wet, doesn't smell like synthetic crap and has a wide temp range.

rwsaunders
10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I try and avoid shells until I have to wear them. Good base layer as others have said of course, wool blend ss jersey with arm warmers or wool blend ls jersey...all topped off with a vented vest. Gets me down to about 45F, depending upon the wind and the humidity.

Don't forget your feet, hands and cranium...that's another story.

merckx
10-04-2015, 06:35 PM
50's with wind in October is much colder than 50's with wind in March. Why is that?

berserk87
10-04-2015, 06:46 PM
50's with wind in October is much colder than 50's with wind in March. Why is that?

Perspective.

We were discussing this yesterday on a wet, 47 degree ride.

Coming off of a long winter, 50 degrees seems balmy compared to riding in the teens.

After summer temps for months in a row, 50 seems like torture.

I realize your question was probably rhetorical, but I could not resist commenting due to the recent ride banter.

Cicli
10-04-2015, 06:46 PM
I wear Under Armor compression shirt under a jersey. Compression tights over bibs all tbe way down to the 30's.

buddybikes
10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
55 degrees and bit windy - long sleeve castelli jersey with sporthill 3sp zip top doing gravel roads

schwa86
10-04-2015, 07:20 PM
The Earth Wind and Rider wool jersey I bought off of DHallerman ;-)

bcroslin
10-04-2015, 07:20 PM
do any of you own a castelli gabba jacket? seems like that would do the trick.

merckx
10-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Perspective.

We were discussing this yesterday on a wet, 47 degree ride.

Coming off of a long winter, 50 degrees seems balmy compared to riding in the teens.

After summer temps for months in a row, 50 seems like torture.

I realize your question was probably rhetorical, but I could not resist commenting due to the recent ride banter.

It was rhetorical, but I should have elaborated. I wear thermal shorts, wool LS jersey, and a wind vest in October. In March, I wear regular shorts, and a SS jersey with arm warmers. I wish that we were on the cusp of spring.......

carpediemracing
10-04-2015, 08:49 PM

I think part of it is heat adaptation (or cold adaptation). I think if you're adapted to warm weather then you lose more heat energy in cold weather than someone adapted to cold weather. May be a myth but a casual Google seems to reinforce this, not kill it.

54ny77
10-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I stuff Florida real estate ads in front of my jersey to block the cold wind.

palincss
10-04-2015, 09:05 PM
That difficult season for dressing for the bike is back. 50s windy, a touch damp. Yesterday I wore a thermal jersey and a windshell and was cold. Today I wore the same weight jersey, a baselayer and a heavier jacket and was back and forth between overheated/sweaty and chilly. Any one found the ticket for comfort in these conditions?

Thanks!

Today, Wabi Woolens long sleeve Sport Series jersey with a vest on top. It was high 50s-low 60s, humidity around 90%, misty to drizzling and a 15 mph wind. It was perfect. Also, a Randi Jo woolen cycling cap under my helmet and some polypro glove liners. On the bottom, Woolie Boolie socks, lycra shorts and lightweight lycra tights.
http://www.wabiwoolens.com/images/products/secondary/thumbs/sport%20series%20long%20sleeve-1.jpg

sitzmark
10-04-2015, 10:04 PM
I wear Under Armor compression shirt under a jersey. Compression tights over bibs all tbe way down to the 30's.

My go to as well. Base layer compression long sleeve and vest with wind panel front for low 40's - low 50's when overcast/damp. When I know the sun will be out and temps closing in on 60, I wear a sleeveless compression and the wind vest. Usually bibs or shorts into the low 40's - again depends if temps are going to rise or fall during my ride.

If it's expected to warm over 50, I'll tough out the ride start with the bibs and pocket some leg warmers just in case. If it's high 30's/low 40's and expected to stay there or go colder, I'll either wear the leg warmers or wear a compression base layer under the bibs. I have a couple of thermal vests that I use about the same time as the bottom base layer comes out. I don't wear socks, so use neo toe covers mid-30 to low 30's. Generally around mid-40's I wear thin long finger gloves over my half-fingers so I can remove them if temps rise. Everything gets adjusted up a few degrees if the weather is really damp and/or drizzly.

By the time 20's come I'm usually off the bike and skiing, but I have PI thermal boots for 10's and 20's along with different soft-shell jackets or shells and thermal long finger gloves. Dry, sunny 10* days with fresh white snow all around and clear dry streets is absolutely the most special time to ride.

I am not a warm weather person - I really struggle to acclimate over 75 when riding hard. Takes a number of unpleasant weeks to build a tolerance for 80's and 90's as spring transitions into summer. Once it hits 75 I never wear anything with sleeves.

professerr
10-05-2015, 12:37 AM

I've got a Gabba 2, and it is one of my all time favorite pieces of cycling clothing. It is perfect for the conditions specified by the OP: 50s, windy, damp.

It has some sort of stretchy breathable membrane that makes it totally windproof and quite water resistant. Truth is, I've never worn it in a real rain, 'cause, you know, I live in California. But it is breathable enough that I'll happily ride it on cool 50-60 degree dry days. This really surprised me because the rubber-like stretchiness of the fabric suggests that it won't breath well enough for aerobic activity. I often wear it with a very light merino base layer, and the combination is weirdly warm on colder mornings, yet completely comfortable as the day warms up.

The fit is quite snug, and comfortable only on the bike. I suspect guys carrying a few extra pounds won't like it. The pliable, stretchy fabric doesn't flap at all.

They also go on sale all the time it seems. I think I paid $140 bucks, shipped.

Best of all, they come in Fred Neon Yellow and Poseur Black.

jr59
10-05-2015, 05:58 AM
I think part of it is heat adaptation (or cold adaptation). I think if you're adapted to warm weather then you lose more heat energy in cold weather than someone adapted to cold weather. May be a myth but a casual Google seems to reinforce this, not kill it.

I would tend to agree. Most NE riders have trouble down here in July-Sept.

I will add that the body will adapt quickly to change, but it takes at least a season

Ti Designs
10-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Yet another learning process you can't skip...

You can take advice from people on the internet, and you'll find out what keeps them warm. They're not you, and they don't ride in the same conditions. This is one that you're gonna have to figure out on your own. On the bright side, you're doing it at the exact right time.

Cold weather clothing works in a three layer system. The base layer wicks moisture away from the body, the insulating layer stops heat transfer, the isolating layer keeps the cold out. All three of these need to be adjusted based on conditions.

Base layer: This is the stuff that's next to your skin, which wicks moisture away from your skin. It's not a thermal layer, if there is a temperature drop from outside to inside it's not doing it's job. It's job is to move that soggy thermal mass to the outside layers, but that only goes so far. My shop sells all kinds of jackets which say they are both wind proof and pass moisture to the outside. In 30 years of winter riding I have never seen salt built up on the outside of a jacket in the winter - never. Why? Because there's a temperature drop. If you figure out a way to get moisture to wick from 98 degrees to 35 degrees, please let me know what it is and I'll start producing clothing... The thickness of your base layer should be based on how long you're on the bike. A thin base layer will saturate ('cause we know the moisture isn't getting past the thermal layer) so on longer rides I wear a heavier layer or I double up.

Wool is the stand-out material here, because it acts as both a base layer and an insulating layer. What can I say? Technology hasn't surpassed sheep...

The insulating layer: This is your dead air zone. If air isn't moving you don't have heat transfer. Think of this in terms of R value, the thicker the dead air space, the more R value it has. The insulating layer is based on outside temperature, and how much heat the zones of your body produce. This can be a bit of a problem because the zones at the end of the line (hands and feet) produce the least heat...

The isolating layer: This is what allows you to keep your dead air space, but should also let you control air movement in key areas. venting means the need for both inlets and outlets - what goes in must come out or you're going to look like a blimp. There are so many designs for jacket that I'll just leave this one alone.

Feet and hands: Hands are a special problem from many 'cause your body has this defense against cold where it restricts blood flow. Then there's a condition known as raynauds, which is an over reaction of the body in shutting down circulation. The trick is to keep the body from triggering this. That means different things for different people, I've worked with riders who needed electric gloves, most get away with heavier insulation and isolation (as stupid as bar mits look, they do work). Embrocation is another method of tricking the body. That's something that you really have to experiment with.

The best advice I can give for winter riding is start early and figure out what works for you in the fall. There will be rides when you get it wrong, but a bit warm or cold isn't as bad as screwing up the clothing in the dead of winter.

christian
10-05-2015, 06:42 AM
I agree with Ed - we all vary to the point there's almost no value in responding to these threads. At 50d, I am happy to wear a mesh baselayer, a thermal shortsleeve jersey, arm warmers, thermal shorts, kneewarmers, wool socks, and non-vented cycling shoes. If it's damp, I'd swap the thermal jersey for a Gabba.

The best advice I can give for winter riding is start early and figure out what works for you in the fall. There will be rides when you get it wrong, but a bit warm or cold isn't as bad as screwing up the clothing in the dead of winter.The only thing I will add is that for cycling, as for backcountry skiing and winter survival, "comfortably cool" is what you want. That means significant thermoregulation on climbs - you should certainly open all zippers etc., and probably remove a layer or two. Once you start sweating significantly, you're going to get cold, no matter what.

guido
10-05-2015, 06:56 AM
It's interesting. I have less trouble when it is really cold than this in between stuff...

I was using the craft mesh baselayer on saturday. I used the REI techwik on sunday. Very damp both days... I'm a heavy sweat sort of guy...

I'll have to give wool another try. And see if I can find a Gabba to try on. The Castelli sizing never seem to fit me...

Gummee
10-05-2015, 07:04 AM
It's interesting. I have less trouble when it is really cold than this in between stuff...

I was using the craft mesh baselayer on saturday. I used the REI techwik on sunday. Very damp both days... I'm a heavy sweat sort of guy...

I'll have to give wool another try. And see if I can find a Gabba to try on. The Castelli sizing never seem to fit me...Lots of different companies (Endura for one) have figured out the 'Gabba-esque' jacket.

I have the vest and don't ever wear it. By the time I need it that specific temp range has come and gone.

M

benb
10-05-2015, 08:33 AM
It's very personal and this time of year it's tough to stay comfy through the whole ride.

I was in upstate NY and did one of my best rides of the year saturday (not saying a lot as it hasn't been a great year). I ended up riding 52 miles with 2800 ft of climbing. Temps were from low 40s degrees (morning) to about 60 (when I got back). Very windy.

I ended up doing a lot of taking stuff off to go uphill and putting it back on to go downhill. I wore my normal bibs, light tights, wool socks, a jersey, a jacket/wind vest convertible, arm warmers, and I had a helmet cover. I wore summer gloves. The main climb of the day was about 1500ft and I had the helmet cover & arm warmers off, had the sleeves off the jacket, and had the jacket unzipped. I was hot the whole way up but then started getting pretty cold at the top... I ended up with everything back on for the descent and still got cold enough that I had to slow down.

Personally I love helmet covers, I don't see many people wearing them and I don't see them for sale very often.. they don't weigh anything and you can take them off and stow them pretty easily without stopping.

The other thing I like to do is take gaffers tape and cover the toes of my shoes with it to block the vents. It makes a big difference and you can reach down and rip it off when it warms up without having to stop. I wear booties and such when it gets really cold but I really hate them.

One of my big issues when it gets colder (especially when it's humid) is my eyes watering on descents.. I've never really found a way around that. I wear prescription glasses so my glasses choices are somewhat less flexible but I don't really think it's that.. I've had the issue even when wearing a full face helmet motorcycling.

lhuerta
10-05-2015, 09:02 AM
....Craft summer baselayer, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, wind vest (e.g.Windtex or Windstoper fabric), knee warmers or knickers.

50 degrees is still to warm for full long sleeve jersey or tights that u can't peel-off in order to regulate ur temp. The most crucial of all of these garments is the correct baselayer.

jemoryl
10-05-2015, 09:28 AM
It was around 51F with gusty winds when I went out Saturday. I was perfectly comfortable with: Champion C9 long sleeve mock-turtle wicking baselayer (about $20 at Target), Etxe-Ondo long sleeve medium-thick jersey, Nalini mid weight bibtights, beanie, wind-tex long finger gloves, toe covers. This was actually close to overkill, as I could have gone with shorts and legwarmers.

The next day started out at about the same temperature and I used a similar kit, but as the sun came out and the temperature rose into the upper 50's, I really didn't need the beanie, gloves or shoe covers....

EDS
10-05-2015, 10:14 AM
....Craft summer baselayer, short sleeve jersey, arm warmers, wind vest (e.g.Windtex or Windstoper fabric), knee warmers or knickers.

50 degrees is still to warm for full long sleeve jersey or tights that u can't peel-off in order to regulate ur temp. The most crucial of all of these garments is the correct baselayer.

Agreed.

teleguy57
10-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Wool...Nothing works as well. Still warm when wet, doesn't smell like synthetic crap and has a wide temp range. Great baselayer.

+1

Yet another learning process you can't skip... The best advice I can give for winter riding is start early and figure out what works for you in the fall. There will be rides when you get it wrong, but a bit warm or cold isn't as bad as screwing up the clothing in the dead of winter.
+10

The only thing I will add is that for cycling, as for backcountry skiing and winter survival, "comfortably cool" is what you want.

Not Northeast, but WI temps this week have been similar -- and relentless March-type winds. Rode Sat morning at 48F w/12-17mph winds. Wore a ss synthetic base layer (not my lightest, but it does have a weave in the fabric), Sportful NoRain warmers w/a SS Gabba v1 jersey. On the bottom my very favorite Endura Equipe Thermo Bib Knickers.

Cool (as Christian recommends), but not cold. I could wear this into the low 40s w/out wind (might switch to a DeFeet merino ss base layer).

I have two pair of Sportful NoRain thermal bib shorts that I like; however, not a very wide range where I'd wear these w/out knee warmers. My 61-yr-old knees (no cartilage remaining on the left) aren't fans of being uncovered when it's cooler than 60F. I will ride with knicks/warmers vs full tights down to freezing.

On the top, I'm very happy w/a LS jersey up to the mid 60s depending on fabric weight and wind conditions.

I find a light gaiter or bandana/scarf also gives me a lower temp range and comfort-level tuning as well.

Love my Lazer helmet cover -- easy on and off, but seeing as it's formed plastic it's not something I change during a ride (photo from last Apr; straps have since been trimmed:))
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xF0azHc6qXg/VFqE0mdEm0I/AAAAAAAAEeQ/ky3763YB6do/w518-h809-no/IMG_20141105_132050064.jpg

tv_vt
10-05-2015, 11:36 AM
For cooler fall days - pick combos of these as you see fit: wool base layers, long sleeves, wind vest, Assos Intermediate Evo jersey, Rapha Pro Team jacket, Ibex Breakaway jacket, Castelli Gabba jacket, booties, wool or cotton cycling cap, long fingered gloves, leg warmers, Rapha or Castelli thermal bibs, lightweight neck gaiter, etc.

Outer layers with zippers are great!

Once it gets really chilly, out comes the Assos 851 jacket. Deep winter - Fugujack, Amfib tights and neoprene booties time.

brockd15
10-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Around here on the west coast, my morning commutes are usually in the 50's. I don't wear bike-specific clothes for riding to work (except shoes), so I use a lightweight short sleeve Smartwool t-shirt, Smartwool arm warmers, and a Pearl Izumi wind vest. At about 53 or under then I'll add Icebreaker (wool) gloves. With that I wear shorts without knee or leg warmers, and regular socks.

That works really, really well for me until about 50 degrees. At that point I go to a long sleeve Smartwool t-shirt, a Pearl Izumi jacket, and the Icebreaker gloves. That works well down to the low 40's with a wool headband for my ears in the lower range.

I clearly like the wool.

OldCrank
10-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Lots of good advice here.

First of all, THIS:
<<<Personally I love helmet covers,>>>
I swear, the "shower cap" makes a 10-degree difference.
And, like toe covers and arm & knee warmers, rolls up to just about nothing,
stuff it in the pocket for later.
Best things since zippers and gloves.

I am also lusting after more merino.

rwsaunders
10-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Here's my helmet cover when it really is biting cold outside. A few strips of packing tape on the front on the vents and you're all set, just like Sheldon Brown minus the Eagle ornament.

SteveFrench
10-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Bourbon

gjc985
10-06-2015, 10:09 AM
the biggest problem I have is my toes. I wear booties and place toe warms in between socks and on top of the shoes in between the booties. As for clothing, base layers do the trick. Craft has one (forget the name) that was designed for cross country ski racers. it does a fantastic job of wicking away sweat.

gjc985
10-06-2015, 10:38 AM
rapha is also having a 25% sale on base layers.

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop-/base-layers/category/base-layers?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=City-Launch-5-10-15-USA&utm_content=City-Launch-5-10-15-USA+CID_5b9296ee4f9f26c849497eab3d69bcda&utm_source=campaignmonitor&utm_term=Shop%20Base%20Layers

I have one and they're great for longer rides.

93legendti
10-06-2015, 12:09 PM
the biggest problem I have is my toes. I wear booties and place toe warms in between socks and on top of the shoes in between the booties...

I do the same thing

tuxbailey
10-06-2015, 12:18 PM
When I started this morning ti was 48-50 and the following worked for me:

- base layer (North Face Nylon that is like 15 years old.)
- Short sleeve merino wool jersey
- Gore Phantom Jacket (Wind resistant with breathable back, as well as back of sleeves.)
- Paceline wool cap under the helmet (overkill, not needed but not too much discomfort.)
- PI thermal knee warmer under bib.
- Gore Gore-Tex Velcro Booties - Overkill as well but it is velcro so I can easily take it off and put in backpack.
- Under my regular biking gloves I wore a thin Patagonia capilene glove liner in lieu of full finger gloves, less sweaty.

This set up is good for weather down high 30's-low 40's. then I will switch to winter gear.

Tin Turtle
10-06-2015, 12:59 PM
I use Cabela's stuff for all of my base layers. Its pricey but works extremely well.

EDS
10-06-2015, 01:09 PM
When I started this morning it was 48-50 and the following worked for me:

- base layer (North Face Nylon that is like 15 years old.)
- Short sleeve merino wool jersey
- Gore Phantom Jacket (Wind resistant with breathable back, as well as back of sleeves.)
- Paceline wool cap under the helmet (overkill, not needed but not too much discomfort.)
- PI thermal knee warmer under bib.
- Gore Gore-Tex Velcro Booties - Overkill as well but it is velcro so I can easily take it off and put in backpack.
- Under my regular biking gloves I wore a thin Patagonia capilene glove liner in lieu of full finger gloves, less sweaty.

This set up is good for weather down high 30's-low 40's. then I will switch to winter gear.

Just to show how different people can be comfortable in different combinations of clothing at different temperatures, it was 53 when I left for a ride early this morning. I wore:

Craft short sleeve base layer
Regular short sleeve jersey
Regular bib shorts
Regular synthetic socks
Arm warmers
Knee warmers
Summer gloves
No hat

If I had to do it over I would have worn lightweight long finger gloves and a pair of velotoze shoe covers, but otherwise thought my attire was appropriate.

old fat man
10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Rode for 2 hours this morning in central CT. Temps were about 42-45 when we started, probably 50-53 when we got home.

On Top:
- synthetic base layer like the Under Armour crap (nothing fancy)
- regular summer weight jersey
- Castelli Trasparente jacket in neon yellow (http://goo.gl/HHMlll)
- summer weight cycling cap
- Castelli gloves, something like this: http://goo.gl/bmGcgd

On Bottom:
- fleece lined Vermarc bibs (not tights or knickers)
- fleece lined Vermarc knee warmers
- regular socks
- Pearl Izumi shoe covers - something average in their warmth lineup, not a winter weight and not just an aero shoe cover

I was quite comfortable. The Castelli Trasparente is a great jacket. Add a warmer base layer or arm warmers, and I can comfortably wear it down to 30 degrees

Bob Ross
10-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I use Cabela's stuff for all of my base layers. Its pricey but works extremely well.

Which stuff? Last time I drooled over a Cabela's catalog there must have been several dozen different variations on base layers: silk, wool, technical, "tactical" (!) ...

coffeecake
10-07-2015, 09:31 AM
I struggle with the temperatures between 35 - 55* F because I usually overdress, heat up, start sweating, and then FREEZE.

What works for me is to use vests in varying combinations. It seems that, with a vest, you don't have the "closed system" covering your arms so I don't heat up as quickly. As a results, I now own a ton of vests.

* Castelli Velo wind vest: super lightweight, no insulation, packable
* Hincapie Windtex vest: heavier and warmer than the above, takes a whole back pocket
* Champ-sys thermal vest: Very heavy fleece, not packable.

I'm looking at buying a "rain vest" like the Sportful Hot Pack or the Castelli Sottile due. I have a Pearl Izumi barrier clear rain jacket but I heat up so fast in that thing that I get soaked from the inside out. You guys know the drill.