PDA

View Full Version : Topolino wheels with 25 or 28mm tires?

quattro
10-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Been riding my Topolino clincher wheels for close to 10 years and still enjoy them. Have always run 700 x 23mm tires. Wondering if anyone owns Topolino wheels and rides with 25 or 28mm tires. I would appreciate your input in ride quality and what size you like best.

Thanks,
quattro

rnhood
10-04-2015, 09:35 AM
You sure are lucky. My Topo's had a hub failure twice that required warranty repair. Then a spoke broke - at which time I literally threw them in a dumpster. I don't have time for inferior products. You either have a different model or they have evolved and fixed the issues. But to your question, I did put 28's on them (Specialized All-Condition) even though the tire looked like a lightbulb due to the seemingly over narrow rim.

quattro
10-04-2015, 09:40 AM
I sent my Topolino's back to them this past winter and had my hubs rebuilt with a larger size ball bearing, they were great this season, no issues. I only weigh 150-155 so I have not had any issues with the spokes breaking, so far.
I also asked what size tires I could run on them and was told a 25 or 28 would work fine, now I'm wondering what to try.

rnhood
10-04-2015, 09:56 AM
If you're riding varied surfaces, especially in the winter then the Conti 4000 in 28's are really, really nice....robust and still fast rolling.

I was weighing in around 190 when I had mine (back in 2008) so this may have been a contributing factor to the troubles I had.

cdn_bacon
10-04-2015, 07:00 PM
my current set up is 25mm veloflex corsa's.

couldn't be happier with the ride.

they've managed two gran fondo's without even the slightest hiccup

Louis
10-04-2015, 08:32 PM
You sure are lucky. My Topo's had a hub failure twice that required warranty repair. Then a spoke broke - at which time I literally threw them in a dumpster. I don't have time for inferior products. You either have a different model or they have evolved and fixed the issues.

I broke a spoke on my Topo rear, and due to the design the entire side would have to be replaced ($$$) - not my favorite design. (but they sure are light) I took the wheel off, but am still using the front until the Conti GP4000 that's on there now wears out. Once that happens, if anyone wants both wheels for free I'll send them to you if you pay the shipping. (It might be a while - my front tires tend to last forever.)

Louis