PDA

View Full Version : OT: Progress report ( 2 weeks, almost )

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

Here is my progress report summed up in 2 words:

SLOW GOING

I figured by now I'd be on my bike doing a century pain free. But this morning I walked 2 blocks with the help of a cane.

Ok seriously, I had no expectations of what the rehab was going to be except I knew it was going to be painful. It is. Especially during and after PT. Ice really helps with the pain as does resting.

I am making progress, just feels negligible. I have a feeling it's a very sharp curve though. Once the swelling mostly goes away, the progress of range of motion will be much greater and the pain of moving my knee will dissipate. I hope this is the case and happens sooner than later. The Ottrott sitting in the trainer in my living room is calling my name.

Ok, rant ( complaining ) over. Back to rest, ice, walk, PT, repeat.

Thanks for listening,

Steve

soulspinner
10-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Sounds like normal progress. Dont cheat on Ice time.:)

OtayBW
10-03-2015, 12:55 PM
You remind me of the person who diets and weighs himself every day. Be patient. Hang in there. It'll come. Don't watch the scale...

rodcad
10-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Seriously? I hate people with Ottrott's as their training bikes! Good for you, hope you're on it soon..... :beer:

palincss
10-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

Here is my progress report summed up in 2 words:

SLOW GOING

I figured by now I'd be on my bike doing a century pain free. But this morning I walked 2 blocks with the help of a cane.

Steve

Able to walk 2 blocks 2/cane rather than with walker: good progress, not "slow." If you really thought you'd be on your bike riding by now, I'd say you ought to confine smoking whatever it was you were on when you thought that only to periods of extreme pain, because you were kind of out of your mind.

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Seriously? I hate people with Ottrott's as their training bikes! Good for you, hope you're on it soon..... :beer:

I bought the trainer ( from my orthopedic surgeon ) for rehab purposes only. I pretty much refuse to work out indoors when it's nice here about 50 weeks of the year. It will be gone when I'm able to ride outside again.

Which bike would you have chosen? Ottrott, Moots RSL or the Look 595? The Kirk is set up as a single speed. ( I only own 4 bikes )....;)

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Able to walk 2 blocks 2/cane rather than with walker: good progress, not "slow." If you really thought you'd be on your bike riding by now, I'd say you ought to confine smoking whatever it was you were on when you thought that only to periods of extreme pain, because you were kind of out of your mind.

Very funny! I knew it would take awhile. I'm just impatient and especially after riding about 150 miles a week in preparation for this, the inactivity is killing me!...:bike:

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 01:44 PM
You remind me of the person who diets and weighs himself every day. Be patient. Hang in there. It'll come. Don't watch the scale...

You know what I have to say to that: Do I look fat in these jeans???....:crap:

Thank you! I know. Easier said than done....:beer:

rodcad
10-03-2015, 05:07 PM
I bought the trainer ( from my orthopedic surgeon ) for rehab purposes only. I pretty much refuse to work out indoors when it's nice here about 50 weeks of the year. It will be gone when I'm able to ride outside again.

Which bike would you have chosen? Ottrott, Moots RSL or the Look 595? The Kirk is set up as a single speed. ( I only own 4 bikes )....;)

Obviously you need a beater, but you're problem is a great one to have. Didn't you have a MX Leader? Obviously if so you sold it... Seems like you had something else you found all not that long ago I lusted after...

FlashUNC
10-03-2015, 05:15 PM
One day at a time. You don't see the progress on the journey, just keep at it and results will show up.

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Obviously you need a beater, but you're problem is a great one to have. Didn't you have a MX Leader? Obviously if so you sold it... Seems like you had something else you found all not that long ago I lusted after...

Yes, I did own an MX Leader amongst many other bikes. At one time, there were 13 in and around the house ( my ex wife was a rider as well ). Down to 4 now. Tempted to buy that exogrid on eBay, but have to be strong as we are selling the house and moving to smaller quarters and 4 bikes is already pushing it....:crap:

palincss
10-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Very funny! I knew it would take awhile. I'm just impatient and especially after riding about 150 miles a week in preparation for this, the inactivity is killing me!...:bike:

You are going to have to learn patience. When you get back out on the road you're going to be starting back up at close to ground zero.

The year before the surgery I did just over 7900 miles, and this was in a year that ended for me in November, when I went off the NSAIDs. My first ride out in the real world (and this was after over a month on the trainer inside, and three months on recumbent trainers at the gym) in mid-March I could barely do 15 miles, everything about my position was off because I had to mess with the seat to be able to get the crank all the way around, and it hurt like hell.

Next time out, I did a 20 mile ride and it wasn't much if any better. Then I went to the gym, had an industrial accident with a stair climber that got out of control and smashed me into the ground, spent a week in agonizing pain, and learned that the accident had broken loose the adhesion that had been causing me all the trouble. But even after that, I had to start with rides at the 30 mile level and gradually work my way up. When the club's May Metric came along I wasn't ready for 60, and had to create my own 50 mi route for it.

I did 3 centuries in September. Come next September, you will too, if you want to.

jr59
10-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Hang tough my friend. It may take a while, but the end is in sight. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train!:)

Just keep up the PT no matter what. Good wishes

bcroslin
10-03-2015, 07:16 PM
I agree that you should manage your expectations but continue to be aggressive. I have a right knee that has about 85% mobility due to a surgeon who was used to working on the knees and hips of elderly folks and the PT he prescribed was nowhere near aggressive enough.

Elefantino
10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Dang! From most of the recovery stories I hear you're right on schedule. And because of your previous level of fitness once the swelling goes down you'll be rocking and rolling.

It helps to want it bad. It has always worked for yours truly.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/made/e52c9891b2873d62/dos-equis-guy_300_232_c1.JPG

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 10:11 PM
never mind

SoCalSteve
10-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Dang! From most of the recovery stories I hear you're right on schedule. And because of your previous level of fitness once the swelling goes down you'll be rocking and rolling.

It helps to want it bad. It has always worked for yours truly.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/made/e52c9891b2873d62/dos-equis-guy_300_232_c1.JPG

Thanks Mike! Appreciate the well wishes and positivity! :beer: