PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross Tubulars - FMB or Challenge or ??

Michon
10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Just picked up a pair of FMB SSC tubulars - not yet installed.

Should I - or is there better? going onto Zipp 404 wheels.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Just picked up a pair of FMB SSC tubulars - not yet installed.

Should I - or is there better? going onto Zipp 404 wheels.

Define 'better'. FMB the ones used by lots of euro pro teams. Supple, corner well, expensive.

AngryScientist
10-02-2015, 01:29 PM
depends on the course...

mtb_frk
10-02-2015, 04:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned there are no better tubulars than FMB. The ride quality is night and day better than challenge. I ran a set of Limus on day 1 of a double weekend and then my SSCs on day 2. The FMB tires were just so much better.

Aaron O
10-02-2015, 04:27 PM
I haven't used CX tires from either, but I have experience with both brands. That experience is:

FMB - the nicest, plushest tire money can buy. They're a bargain compared to other mass produced tires.

Challenge - poorly made, inconsistent crap lacking in quality control that are grossly over priced for made somewhere else crap.

yakstone
10-02-2015, 04:31 PM
I haven't used CX tires from either, but I have experience with both brands. That experience is:

FMB - the nicest, plushest tire money can buy. They're a bargain compared to other mass produced tires.

Challenge - poorly made, inconsistent crap lacking in quality control that are grossly over priced for made somewhere else crap.

Exactly right!

sandyrs
10-02-2015, 06:30 PM

This is their reputation on the road but it doesn't hold for their cross tubulars. I've raced on Fangos, Baby Limuses (Limi?) and Chicanes, and all have been totally fine. They survive at low pressure, and the Baby Limus and Chicane treads are fantastic for their respective purposes (the BL is a good all-rounder for muddier courses and the Chicane is extremely versatile, good on any kind of course that doesn't have much mud or loose climbing).

FMB's are definitely the higher-end product of the two and for the same price, I'm sure I would like them more than Challenge, but Challenge tires aren't "crap."

That said, definitely don't deny yourself the opportunity to try FMBs in favor of Challenge tires. The only ones that rival FMB in suppleness/reputation are Dugasts.

gavingould
10-02-2015, 09:21 PM
having ridden Challenge, Clement, and FMB.... i'll take the FMBs any day.

Challenge have had issues with the tread delaminating from the casing for years.
Clement flatted too often for me (could have just been bad luck that season) and then the base tape pulled off the tire instead of the rim when removing at season end.
FMB - great tread options, supple as anything. into my second season on two pairs with no issues yet.

gjc985
10-08-2015, 02:32 PM
the problem with FMB tires is they're not readily available. Everyone sells challenge which is good if you have a problem and need one glued up quicly

cv1966
10-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Never ridden FMB's but have ridden Challenge tubulars for several seasons with no issues.

bcroslin
10-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Are FMB's tubular only? I'm looking to replace my challenge grifo clichers and I'm wondering what else is out there for grass and dry conditions.

And btw my grifo challenge tires are going on 6 years old with no issues.

eBAUMANN
10-09-2015, 10:32 PM
the problem with FMB tires is they're not readily available. Everyone sells challenge which is good if you have a problem and need one glued up quicly

Define readily available...because Portland bicycle studio has buttloads.

FMB/DUGAST are tubular only, yes.