PDA

View Full Version : Seagull Canceled for Sat Oct 3

palincss
10-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Sea Gull Century Canceled for Saturday, October 3
10/1/2015 1:41:00 PM

SALISBURY, MD---Salisbury University—"Sea Gull Century bike ride has been canceled for Saturday, October 3.

"We do not do this lightly," said Amy Waters, Century coordinator. "The safety of our 6,000 cyclists, some 200 volunteers, support staff, spectators and others is our top priority."

"We have been in close communication with the Maryland Emergency Management Agency regarding two potential weather events in our region. The National Weather Service currently has issued a flood watch for portions of Delmarva through Saturday evening, with 4-7 inches of rain forecasted. Winds up to 35 mph are predicted on Saturday. There also is a hazardous weather outlook for the mid-Atlantic for the possible impacts of Hurricane Joaquin, including additional flooding, heavy rain and wind. Travel to and from Marylandç—´ Eastern Shore may be treacherous.

"The Century relies annually upon many regional collaborations to help ensure the safety of riders and others. These partners include police agencies, rest stop operations, and more. Given the possibility of weather-related emergencies and the preparations that are being made throughout the region, the demands upon these partners are high. Both the state and national parks on Assateague Island, one of our most popular rest stops, are closing in advance of the storm, for example. We do not want to further burden our partners.

"We sincerely regret this inconvenience for our riders.

"All 2015 registrants will receive an email with additional information. The date for next year's Century is October 8, 2016."

rnhood
10-01-2015, 01:29 PM
I knew it would be based on their memo yesterday. I had a house rented in Chincoteague. Oh well, maybe next year. Its a good ride.

palincss
10-01-2015, 01:33 PM
I would do the Snow Hill route again. I don't think I'd ever want to do the Assateague route again.

rnhood
10-01-2015, 02:34 PM
I like them both, though the Snow Hill route offers more in the way everyday life, so to speak. Pokomoke & SH are such quaint little towns. We just moved our reservation so will go there in a few weeks. Might be cool but still very good riding around those parts.

cderalow
10-01-2015, 03:19 PM
pretty flat from what i've heard..

i might register for next year's, though I'm aiming for the Pan Mass Challenge as my big ride next year, so I'll see.

palincss
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
pretty flat from what i've heard..

rotfl

The Seagull is the operational definition of flatness. Pancakes have more hills than the Seagull. So too do pool tables.

Len J
10-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Yea...normally it's 9.000 riders with a high percentage trying for personal bests who are inexperienced in both riding in crowds and in pacelines...tons of wreck. Add in torrential rain and it would be worse.

Smart to cancel.

Len

dcama5
10-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Yea...normally it's 9.000 riders with a high percentage trying for personal bests who are inexperienced in both riding in crowds and in pacelines...tons of wreck. Add in torrential rain and it would be worse.

Smart to cancel.

Len

Yes, agreed. I've done this ride most years since 1997 - never seen 9000 riders, but I have seen 8000. I usually wait until I get into Salisbury the friday before to register just because of this type of stormy weather. My number is usually pretty close to the total. Last year my number was about 6200 and the year before just over 8000. I did the Snow Hill route the last couple years but the Assateague route before that.

Amen to the "tons of wrecks". No matter how fast or slow you ride it, before you know it you have a paceline behind you of riders trying for a fast century. There are always riders that have never been in a paceline and they become inattentive and the next thing you know there is a wreck when slowing for some intersection.

Good flat ride with plenty of good scenery as long as you like chicken farms and the smell of chicken sh*t. At one point I decided to just stop going, but sure enough, after a year or two, I was back there again. Oh well, I just try to ride safely and have fun.

There is a good craft brewery in Salisbury now with a little restaurant attached - that definitely helps.

bcroslin
10-01-2015, 07:29 PM
You NE'ers are a bunch of sissies. We call that kind weather in FL July.

(JK)

El Chaba
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
I actually rode the first seagull and I think there were something like 100 riders....I didn't ride again for many years until it was about in the 4000 range. At that size, it was a hoot. You could start the ride sort of late and ride through the bubble so to speak. For several years it functioned as the region's end of season rolling cycling party. At some point it hit an entirely unmanageable size....at about the same time it seemed to fill up with huge numbers of riders bent on impressing everybody else with their speed and finesse....unfortunately these same riders don't seem so anxious to impress with their bike handling skills or good sense or to take out a license to impress others in a genuine race. Today it remains a spectacle, but one not worth the hazards.

palincss
10-02-2015, 09:30 AM
That's a good description of what goes on on the Assateague route. Things were different on the new Snow Hill route the two or three times I've ridden it. The Snow Hill route doesn't get the big crowds or the big pelotoons (i.e., pelotons made up of clowns exhibiting cartoonish behavior). I also think the route is prettier.

jr59
10-02-2015, 09:35 AM
You NE'ers are a bunch of sissies. We call that kind weather in FL July.

(JK)

correct

Mr. Pink
10-02-2015, 10:09 AM
I never did this ride, but rode down there in June on maybe half the century course over a few days with a lot of crab and beer in between. I scoffed at the flatness, but, damn, thirty or forty miles of that can be uncomfortable after a while. Pretty place dotted with old towns that slaves built, and now are pricey second home locations for wasps nearby.

I'll bet you twenty bucks that, if they didn't cancel the ride, there would have been a few hundred out there in the pouring rain and winds attempting the ride. That would have been fun to watch from a nice sheltered spot, with crab and beer in front of me.

palincss
10-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I never did this ride, but rode down there in June on maybe half the century course over a few days with a lot of crab and beer in between. I scoffed at the flatness, but, damn, thirty or forty miles of that can be uncomfortable after a while. Pretty place dotted with old towns that slaves built, and now are pricey second home locations for wasps nearby.

And June winds are not October winds. If you think 40 miles of flatness can be uncomfortable, you should try 40 miles into an unremitting 30 mph headwind. It's a lot like climbing a hill that never ends, and it can demoralize you as well as exhaust you physically.

If you like the area but dislike the crowd on the Seagull, you might consider doing the Viewtrail 100 (http://www.visitworcester.org/index.php/site/article/the-view-trail-100) on your own. The best parts of the Seagull route follow the Viewtrail.

zap
10-02-2015, 11:50 AM
We (on tandem) always skipped the first rest stop. That greatly reduced the number of fellow cyclists on the road-sometimes to none at all.

teleguy57
10-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Things w The Snow Hill route doesn't get the big crowds or the big pelotoons (i.e., pelotons made up of clowns exhibiting cartoonish behavior). .

:eek: Added to my vocabulary. Thank you!

gmonster
10-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Such a bummer, but the ride would have been more of a bummer if were a washout with headwinds... If you put in the saddle time to do this, you may want to consider the Tour of Richmond on October 17th.

http://www.sportsbackers.org/events/tour-richmond/

Mr. Pink
10-02-2015, 05:15 PM
And June winds are not October winds. If you think 40 miles of flatness can be uncomfortable, you should try 40 miles into an unremitting 30 mph headwind. It's a lot like climbing a hill that never ends, and it can demoralize you as well as exhaust you physically.

If you like the area but dislike the crowd on the Seagull, you might consider doing the Viewtrail 100 (http://www.visitworcester.org/index.php/site/article/the-view-trail-100) on your own. The best parts of the Seagull route follow the Viewtrail.

From what I could see, after my experience, there is no real need for an organized ride. The towns are spaced well with a range of food options around lunchtime, and the roads are very well maintained with very large shoulders. Weekday traffic was strangely quiet. Nice mellow time with the girlfriend. Very very nice tandem riding. If I go back, I want to stay in the large old hotel in Easton as a nice central starting point. Bit expensive, but, reel classey.

The Blackwater national wildlife refuge in Cambridge is well worth a visit, and a bike would be a great way to see it. I was glad she dragged me there, kicking a little. Saw five Bald head eagles.

Probably very hot in deep summer.

palincss
10-02-2015, 05:22 PM
If I go back, I want to stay in the large old hotel in Easton as a nice central starting point. Bit expensive, but, reel classey.

There's a fantastic old classy hotel in Berlin MD, the Atlantic Hotel http://www.atlantichotel.com/ that's only a few minutes' drive from Ocean City and almost right on the Viewtrail 100 route.

http://chesapeakeghostwalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Atlantic-Hotel-frontface-604x270.jpg

rounder
10-07-2015, 09:07 PM
FYI.

Anyone who was signed up for the ride should check your email. By now, most everyone knows that the ride was cancelled.

The Seagull ride sent out emails to all to announce that the next ride is scheduled for October 8, 2016. If you notify by Friday 10/9, you can have your ticket price credited to next year. Otherwise, you are donating to charity which may not be a bad option.

cderalow
10-08-2015, 07:01 AM
We (on tandem) always skipped the first rest stop. That greatly reduced the number of fellow cyclists on the road-sometimes to none at all.

I do this on pretty much every organized fondo or charity ride I've done. It greatly cuts down on number of people you're dealing with. Sometimes I'll go the first 40 miles of the century rides without stopping.

palincss
10-08-2015, 07:14 AM
In that case, why not just do the route on your own on some other day, saving the cost of the registration fees while reducing the number of other people on the route down to zero?

cderalow
10-08-2015, 12:15 PM
In that case, why not just do the route on your own on some other day, saving the cost of the registration fees while reducing the number of other people on the route down to zero?

most of the mass group rides I do are charity based. Either BikeMS, ADA or others.

I spend the time to raise money, I might as well ride.

dcama5
10-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Yes, my wife and I have done that with this ride. We got a hotel room in Salisbury in the middle of the summer and rode the Seagull metric route and then drove to the beach (Assateague). That works if you want to avoid the crowds and although I do not like riding that route with 6,000 riders on event day, there is something about the whole event with all its components that tends to pull me in.

palincss
10-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Yes, my wife and I have done that with this ride. We got a hotel room in Salisbury in the middle of the summer and rode the Seagull metric route and then drove to the beach (Assateague). That works if you want to avoid the crowds and although I do not like riding that route with 6,000 riders on event day, there is something about the whole event with all its components that tends to pull me in.

The Viewtrail 100 is even better. Start it in Berlin, overnight there, and next day take the 5 minute drive to Ocean City. Actually, IMHO the nicest parts of the Seagull are where they're actually on the route of the Viewtrail 100.

dcama5
10-08-2015, 05:34 PM
The Viewtrail 100 is even better. Start it in Berlin, overnight there, and next day take the 5 minute drive to Ocean City. Actually, IMHO the nicest parts of the Seagull are where they're actually on the route of the Viewtrail 100.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Viewtrail until you pointed it out. I will check into it.

rnhood
10-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Yea, I wasn't aware of the Viewtrail either but have stored the link. Very good info and thanks to "palincss" for posting it. We changed our Chincoteague reservation to early November which may be a bit risky with regards to the temperature, but cycling should be great.