PDA

View Full Version : Compact Chainring options

Clancy
10-01-2015, 09:20 AM
One of my riding buddies is looking for lower gearing on his road bikes. He's 77 years old, still averages 150 miles a week. He amazes me every time we ride. He's not as fast as he once was but he's still strong and he's as hardcore, or more, then many of the "roadies" out there 1/2 his age.

If I'm in half the shape he is when I'm his age, I'll be lucky.

He's looking for smaller chain rings so he can spin faster. He's not able to push the gears he use to. I suggested a taller cassette and a long cage derailleur but he much prefers a closer ratio cassette, he doesn't want the big jumps that come with the tall cassettes. He's running a 11-28.

What are his options? Ideally, he'd like to run a 46/32. Isis BB, compact crank.

Any manufacturers that make chain rings in those sizes?

oldpotatoe
10-01-2015, 09:24 AM
One of my riding buddies is looking for lower gearing on his road bikes. He's 77 years old, still averages 150 miles a week. He amazes me every time we ride. He's not as fast as he once was but he's still strong and he's as hardcore, or more, then many of the "roadies" out there 1/2 his age.

If I'm in half the shape he is when I'm his age, I'll be lucky.

He's looking for smaller chain rings so he can spin faster. He's not able to push the gears he use to. I suggested a taller cassette and a long cage derailleur but he much prefers a closer ratio cassette, he doesn't want the big jumps that come with the tall cassettes. He's running a 11-28.

What are his options? Ideally, he'd like to run a 46/32. Isis BB, compact crank.

If it's a 110mm BCD, then 34 is smallest small but TA make 46 and 34 for 110 BCD.

sandyrs
10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
White industries VBC cranks will let him choose any gearing he could reasonably want, if lower than 34 is non-negotiable

Slow Eddie
10-01-2015, 09:30 AM
50.4 cranks will get you there.

You can look for vintage ones from Stronglight and TA, or check out the modern reproduction (http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/cranksets/grand-cru-50-4bcd-crankset-mkii.html) from Velo Orange.

Gonna have to ditch ths ISIS, though.

ERK55
10-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Sugino makes chainrings in "subcompact" sizes (down to 28 and maybe smaller) for both 10 and 11 speed applications. Don't know if they would fit his cranks, but Sugino makes those as well. Can be ordered from Alex Cycle in Japan; they'll arrive within a week.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Sugino makes chainrings in "subcompact" sizes (down to 28 and maybe smaller) for both 10 and 11 speed applications. Don't know if they would fit his cranks, but Sugino makes those as well. Can be ordered from Alex Cycle in Japan; they'll arrive within a week.

Those are 110/74mm.

guido
10-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Velo Orange has nice options in 46/30 sizes. As does IRD. Both use standard square taper Bottom Bracket... Both work nicely with the Shimano CX70 FD which works well with 8,9,10 or 11 speed setups...

oliver1850
10-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Does he really need the 11 cog? Going to a 12-30 cassette with a 34 ring would give a slightly lower gear than the 32 ring/28 cog combination with not much loss relative to close spaced gears. I think only available in 10 speed though. I think a 28/38/48 triple might be another good option.

fogrider
10-02-2015, 01:32 AM
if he's currently hammering standard crankarms, going to 50/34 should make a world of the difference. I'm sure you can find an ISIS compact crankset on ebay.

10-02-2015, 01:40 AM
Wickwerks has ring combos down to something like 32x42 or thereabouts, intended for juniors. Very nice rings. They also have numerous cross setups that go down low as well.

One thing, speaking as another cyclist in the same age range, is to go to shorter crank arms. I used to ride longer but found that shorter arms actually made for better cadence and better power delivery than longer arms. The pro peloton is going shorter as well, having figured out the same almost as fast as I did, LOL. Suggest he try a pair of 165's and see how he likes them.

Ken Robb
10-02-2015, 04:14 AM
He might find investing in a triple set-up would be best since he could rings like 46-36-26 from Sugino. I even have a TA 24 ring in my collection of never-used-yet parts. Then he could keep his close ratios.

His need/preference for lower gears is likely to continue/increase so this is probably a good time to go triple rather than compact which may not be a long-term solution.

HillDancer
10-02-2015, 08:56 AM
...He's looking for smaller chain rings so he can spin faster...he much prefers a closer ratio cassette, he doesn't want the big jumps...What are his options? Ideally, he'd like to run a 46/32. Isis BB, compact crank.

WickWerks (https://wickwerks.com/) is soon to release a 44/33T combo for 110 BCD, reported by Bike Rumor (http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/10/01/wickwerks-brings-narrowwide-gearing-to-the-chainrings-juniors-and-climbers-rejoice/). I have the 44/34T (https://wickwerks.com/products/cyclocross-4434/) pair. I can spin-out in top gear (44T/11t) on long, steep, descents in the Hill Country, but it is not a big deal. If the intended user prefers close ratio gearing, he'll appreciate a 10-12 tooth gap between chainrings.

druptight
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
TA Specialties makes a 33T chainring for 110BCD applications, so he could get close to his desired 32T without changing cranksets. It's in the Zephyr section on Peter White's page:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp