PDA

View Full Version : DA 9000 shifter stopped clicking

pff
09-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Hi web mechanics,

I have a pretty new DA 9000 shifter (<500 miles) which this morning decided to stop shifting down. I can go into larger cogs but not smaller cogs (hence I am currently stuck on the biggest cog). When I press the small lever it moves freely but doesn't catch anything (no clicking sound). It feels the same way as when you press the big lever and small at the same time, and the small doesn't engage with anything.

Before I go to my LBS, any ideas? All my searches have turned up is that there might be gunk in the works, but this is a very new shifter that has never been rained on, so I doubt it's that.

AngryScientist
09-30-2015, 01:36 PM
is it a 9000 or 9001 shifter? i think the 9000s were notorious for chewing up cables. either way, in your situation, i would pull the cable and rule that out. if it's starting to fray, perhaps that's what's stopping you up?

pff
09-30-2015, 02:00 PM
is it a 9000 or 9001 shifter? i think the 9000s were notorious for chewing up cables. either way, in your situation, i would pull the cable and rule that out. if it's starting to fray, perhaps that's what's stopping you up?

hmm, I dunno if it's 9001 or not. If it is a cable issue, wouldn't the shifter still click (the cable just wouldn't get any looser)?

kramnnim
09-30-2015, 02:26 PM
A frayed bit of cable could be stuck in the mechanism, keeping it from clicking.

katematt
09-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Happened to me as well. cut it halfway and push it out. Can be challenge.

kgreene10
09-30-2015, 03:34 PM
It's very likely the cable and 9001 is no better than 9000. Deal with it ASAP because the head can get chewed off and then it's difficult to remove. I've moved to the normal stock cables in my LBS because they are so much cheaper. The shifting is still excellent for training and racing.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi web mechanics,

I have a pretty new DA 9000 shifter (<500 miles) which this morning decided to stop shifting down. I can go into larger cogs but not smaller cogs (hence I am currently stuck on the biggest cog). When I press the small lever it moves freely but doesn't catch anything (no clicking sound). It feels the same way as when you press the big lever and small at the same time, and the small doesn't engage with anything.

Before I go to my LBS, any ideas? All my searches have turned up is that there might be gunk in the works, but this is a very new shifter that has never been rained on, so I doubt it's that.

Stop shifting it and see if the cable end is about ready to come off(broken strands)..if the cable is OK, flush with WD-40, let dry, spray lube. If its still TU=warranty.

pff
09-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Turns out some random pin inside the shifter got disengaged (that's as specific as I can be as I wasn't there to witness the mechanic wrench on it). Cable was also frayed but not the problem. Thanks for all your suggestions.

nicrump
10-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Turns out some random pin inside the shifter got disengaged (that's as specific as I can be as I wasn't there to witness the mechanic wrench on it). Cable was also frayed but not the problem. Thanks for all your suggestions.

i had this happen and it was easily put back into place. but then was prone to popping out again. never figured out why but warrantied it to resolve.

GregL
10-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Threads like this are very helpful. I have toyed with the idea of moving to DA9000 when my existing DA 7800 finally wears out. But the consensus seems to be that to get one more cog in the cassette, durability and reliability got thrown away. Guess I'll continue to run 7800 as long as I can continue to get disposable parts (chains, chainrings, cassettes, etc...).

- Greg

pff
10-01-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't see many threads about problems with DA 7400 on these boards; maybe you should go back to that one. ;)

guido
10-01-2015, 09:12 AM
I change the cables once a season on my 6800 brfters and don't see an issue...

eippo1
10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Threads like this are very helpful. I have toyed with the idea of moving to DA9000 when my existing DA 7800 finally wears out. But the consensus seems to be that to get one more cog in the cassette, durability and reliability got thrown away. Guess I'll continue to run 7800 as long as I can continue to get disposable parts (chains, chainrings, cassettes, etc...).

- Greg

Get 6800 then. Just as good with a weight penalty plus durable, reliable and cheap to replace worn parts. and it shifts way better than 7800.

SoCalSteve
10-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Or go DI2, never have to worry about cables, housing, basically anything mechanically breaking. Solves all of those types of issues....:bike:

guido
10-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Or go DI2, never have to worry about cables, housing, basically anything mechanically breaking. Solves all of those types of issues....:bike:
Except dead batteries...

pff
10-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Except dead batteries...

I've owned two sets of di2 (7970 and 9070) and never had a dead battery. The battery life is absurdly long---months---and complaining about a dead battery (user error) is about the same as letting your tires get down to 30 psi then complaining that they don't work right. In general, di2 does require less maintenance than mechnical, in my anecdotal experience.

Michon
10-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Dead batteries are talked about too often - rarely need to be charged - a little pro active attention and you are good all season long.

Have DA9000 and 6800 - hardly noticeable the actual shifting difference - same issue with the cables - slick is nice - but too frail - have just used Yokouno in place...

pff
10-02-2015, 02:01 PM
the mechanic claims the teflon cables are designed for internal cable routing (makes sense that they need to be extra slick) and wear out quickly if externally routed w/o full housing.

bfd
10-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Dead batteries are talked about too often - rarely need to be charged - a little pro active attention and you are good all season long.

Have DA9000 and 6800 - hardly noticeable the actual shifting difference - same issue with the cables - slick is nice - but too frail - have just used Yokouno in place...

Have you found any difference between the Yokozuna and Shimano 11 cables? I ask because many here say for Shimano 11, OE Shimano cables make a big difference.

Thanks!

pff
10-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Have you found any difference between the Yokozuna and Shimano 11 cables? I ask because many here say for Shimano 11, OE Shimano cables make a big difference.

Thanks!

I noticed the difference on day 1. I doubt I will continue to notice the difference by day 12.