PDA

View Full Version : (Cheaper) Alternative to Shimano 11 speed cables

Robbos
09-30-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been asked here before but I cannot find any threads related. The replacement cables for shimano 11 speed road are insanely expensive, does anyone know of any viable alternatives? I'd love to hear from those who put some miles on equivalents (if they exist) from Jagwire, etc..

bfd
09-30-2015, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been asked here before but I cannot find any threads related. The replacement cables for shimano 11 speed road are insanely expensive, does anyone know of any viable alternatives? I'd love to hear from those who put some miles on equivalents (if they exist) from Jagwire, etc..

You may want to look into whether Yokozuna sells cables for shimano 11 speed. My Lbs buys them in a box of 100 or more and sells them for like $4 each! Supposedly, Yokozuna is OEM for Shimano, but that's not verified.

Good stuff and my lbs like it better than Campy and Shimano cables.

Good luck!

Brian Cdn
09-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Jagwire has worked well for me on Shimano 9 & 10 and Campy 11.

Robbos
09-30-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm generally not fussed about which cable brand I use and I haven't had any issues to date with my 8, 9, and 10 speed drivetrains (including a Shigmolo setup). My understanding however is that 11 speed Shimano is more picky and sensitive to set up and that the right cables are important, and not just in the marketing sense.

Vinci
09-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Are Shimano cables actually different for 11-speed than 10-speed or just more sensitive to friction?

If it's just a friction issue, you can get slick stainless cables and lined/lubed housing from any number of vendors for a lot less than Shimano's branded stuff.

tumbler
09-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I have used Jagwire in the past and had no issues.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Are Shimano cables actually different for 11-speed than 10-speed or just more sensitive to friction?

If it's just a friction issue, you can get slick stainless cables and lined/lubed housing from any number of vendors for a lot less than Shimano's branded stuff.

Yes and yes. Their 'feel' depends a lot on the uber-expensive slick shimano 11s inner wire. Other inner wires, even slick stainless, do make shift effort higher on all shimano 11s stuff. Not bad but certainly not the feel when using shimano 11s inner wire.

Robbos
09-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Yes and yes. Their 'feel' depends a lot on the uber-expensive slick shimano 11s inner wire. Other inner wires, even slick stainless, do make shift effort higher on all shimano 11s stuff. Not bad but certainly not the feel when using shimano 11s inner wire.

Awesome, that's the confirmation I was looking for! Thanks Old Potatoe. Just have to wait for a competitor to make a cheaper equivalent.

Michon
09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
+1 for Yokozuna - not quite that super slick amazing new Shimano cable - but way better than any other (including jag wire), and way cheaper than shimano. good alternative for cross

Gummee
09-30-2015, 09:32 PM
There's the new 6800 and 9000 cables that you *should* use, and then there's the Sil-Tec stuff that's slightly less $$ that you *can* use.

Sil-tec isn't nearly as nice feeling, but it'll work all right

...but you really should use the new new cables for best results. AMHIK

M