PDA

View Full Version : Centaur or Ultegra and Open Pro or CXP33?

learlove
05-17-2006, 04:11 AM
I'm buying a 2003 Pinarello Galileo (leftover in the local shop) to use as an all-around/everyday training bike (and to get back into racing maybe sometime next season, haven't raced in 12 years since I was a junior, my racing days were spent on cannondales, 1988 Criterium Series built with suntour sprint and a 1991 3.0 built with Dura-ace).

Any opinions on Centaur vs. Ultegra?

As for wheels (rims) any advice as to Mavic CXP33's or Open Pro's?

Right now my road bike is a 2003 Bianchi Giro w/105 and velocity deep vee wheels.

Thanks

Russell
05-17-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm using 10-speed Centaur and love it. No problems at all. Have never used Ultegra nor any Shimano, but those who do like it.

Can't comment on the wheels as I am riding Protons, which are very nice. I do have an old pair of Mavic tubulars that still ride very well, but that's because they are tubulars.

Too Tall
05-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Either Gruppo works fine. Pick the one that looks the best, not kidding.

However, choose the OPs because you will enjoy training more on a less harsh wheelset and the OPs laced 3X with nice spokes will be a decent training crit wheelset too. Lotta bang for your buck.

davids
05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
For me, the Campy vs. Shimano debate began & ended with the position of the shifters - The Campy 'buttons' are right where I want to hook my hands around the levers. So, the ergonomics just didn't work for me.

I'm happier with the Ultegra 10 the longer I use it - I tilted the bars up a smidge when I lowered my stem a few weeks ago, and the angle is just perfect for me now - The hoods are very comfortable.

In terms of function, I slightly prefer the precision 'snick' of the Campy as you shift to the softer action of the Shimano. But like I said, it's secondary to the ergonomics for me.

They're both excellent. Try 'em and pick the one that you like best, atmo.

dbrk
05-17-2006, 08:50 AM
The new Shimano 10spd adds reach to your position. If you go for Ultegra keep in mind that the brifters are 1.5cm further away than the Campagnolo. You _might_ need to take the stem into consideration. I don't, I just adjust. This fit thing gets over the top for me and there is MORE THAN ONE WAY to fit on a bicycle, adjust yourself, and ride on down the road. That said, I use both with no preference for one over the other.

As for rims, there's no substantive reason to favor OP or CPX33, though the latter might be heavier and add little to the "aerodynamics". Rims have never been better in quality (said by someone who does not view every "improvement" to be one), so I would pick on aesthetic grounds since there are no performance issues of real substance at stake.

dbrk

rpm
05-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Re OPs vs. CXP-33's: The CXPs are harsher riding, but make an absolutely bombproof wheel. Potholes, bridge joints, and nuclear arms are no match for them. I use both--on the same bike. OP with light spokes and alloy nips on the front, and a CXP with brass nips and heavier spokes on the rear. Smooth and tough, tastes great and less filling.

72gmc
05-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I use Centaur hubs laced to CXP-33s for my everyday riding/commuting wheels. RPM's right on about the durability, and that's why I chose them. They're not light (1800-and-some grams?). They're not forgiving. They need real 25c or 28c tires to be comfy. But they are circular peace of mind if your routes include railroad crossings, asphalt seams, potholes, curbs.... and you ride in the dark or just straight ahead like a Sherman tank in general.

I'm 170-ish, plus my bag and appropriate clothing, just for reference.

Ken Robb
05-17-2006, 03:15 PM
we get lots of crosswinds off the ocean so I did not like how I got shoved around on Ksyriums and other aero rims and I don't ride fast enough for them to help my speed. OPs are my favorites on DA, Ultegra, Record, Chorus hubs: 9spd and 10speed. All good.

Either group will work great. Pick the one that has the most comfy hoods or the one you can buy for the best deal. FWIW, I get a little annoyed at the higher prices for wear items (chains, brake pads and cassettes) that Campy charges.

Dekonick
05-17-2006, 03:20 PM
we get lots of crosswinds off the ocean so I did not like how I got shoved around on Ksyriums and other aero rims and I don't ride fast enough for them to help my speed. OPs are my favorites on DA, Ultegra, Record, Chorus hubs: 9spd and 10speed. All good.

Either group will work great. Pick the one that has the most comfy hoods or the one you can buy for the best deal. FWIW, I get a little annoyed at the higher prices for wear items (chains, brake pads and cassettes) that Campy charges.

Thats why I use non campy chains with my campy 10. Works just fine.

learlove
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
thanks for all the input guys. I'm thinking Ultegra as its compatable with my bianchi 105 stuff (for the most part) and I also have a Jake the Snake cross bike that is shimano. Also what davids said about ergonomics. Whenever I put my hands on the campy levers on a bike in the shop my thumb and that part of my hand rest where the shift button is on the inside.

I actually wish the Galileo had mounts for downtube shifters then I'd go ultegra with downtube shifters but with campy levers like the guy with the Ibis did in the pics section did.

Going OP on the wheels as I already have a set of deep vee's w/ bladed spokes I can swap if I want aero for now. Considering the OP's is there much diff between the regular rim and the CD?

As for my MX leader I thinking of putting that build on the back burner but I have some nuovo/super record parts stored away so I may build that up retro with thoes parts and tubulars.

31 years old - who needs a savings account?

Brons2
05-17-2006, 04:14 PM
People are talking about the durability of the CXP33 but I ride OpenPros on both my Rivendell and my Cannondale. I weight 260-270 depending on season (6'7") and they stay pretty true over roads smooth and rough. What could be more durable than that :D

fiamme red
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Do Open Pros still have the clicking problem that they did a few years ago?

Ahneida Ride
05-17-2006, 04:26 PM
CXP-33's are nuke proof.

Pot hole ? What Pot hole ?

I ride em specifically because of this feature.

learlove
05-18-2006, 01:22 AM
one more thing, my buddy that has the shop called this evening and told me he has access to a 2005 Merckx Leader for 200 more than the Galileo. The Galileo is the 2003 with the external butting.

both are the same size (52cm) and the geo is about the same.

Any input here?

Thanks

bigbill
05-18-2006, 01:43 AM
CXP-33's are nuke proof.

Pot hole ? What Pot hole ?

I ride em specifically because of this feature.

Two weekends ago I shattered the flange of a chorus hub while motoring along on a practice time trial. The rim??? CPX 33!!! The rim outlasted the hub. I bought the wheelset in 1999. If you want armageddon proof, find some NOS CPX30s.

Elefantino
05-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Group: Centaur, for cool factor. Brakes suck, though. Upgrade to Chorus brakes.

Wheels: Comfort? Open Pros. Speed? CXP30s (much better than 33s, IMNSHO).