PDA

View Full Version : CDA vs Fierte Ti Conundrum

steve renner
05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Looking for comments from Fierte Ti and CDA owners. Been riding a Trek 5200 for about 5 years. Have the itch to get a new ride - - looking at either the Fierte Ti or CDA. Rode the Fierte in Denver (none where I live), and thought it was awesome (very lively compared to my 5200). CDA and Fierte are both at my price range. Kinda like the idea of the custom CDA fit, but I'm bummed I can't ride it before buying. Also have minor concern of added CDA frame weight - but not sure what that will be. Guessing 0.5# heavier (62 cm frame) than Fierte Ti.

So here's the deal - I'm 6'3", 178# and ride about 3,000 - 3,500 miles per year. Usually ride hard for a work out, hills included, typically about 2 hours at a time, with the periodic century thrown in a couple times per year.

Given your experiences, which frame would you recommend, and why.

Thanks

Steve

Ken Robb
05-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Buy the Serotta--you'll love it. :) :beer: :banana:

Argos
05-17-2006, 06:45 AM
You should get the CDA.

If the difference is .5 lb over the amount of material needed for such a lrge frame, you'll never notice it, but the advantages of the custom fit, the ability to pick the colors and options to really make it your own, and the overall 'class' of having a georgous custom steel should make it a no brainer.

The CDA is a tremendous bike. That's the better choice.

Smiley
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Forget about the weight the CDA with Nobium tubes really rocks .

Larry
05-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Forget about the weight the CDA with Nobium tubes really rocks .
Smiley,

I am heavy at 240lbs. CLYDESDALE
Can the CDA be built with oversize tubes?
Also, would you still reccomend the CDA over the Fierte understanding that I do indeed carry a lot of weight? I am 6 feet tall.

Larry

davids
05-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Deja vu* (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=208199&postcount=12)

* French for "did ya view?"

Smiley
05-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Smiley,

I am heavy at 240lbs. CLYDESDALE
Can the CDA be built with oversize tubes?
Also, would you still reccomend the CDA over the Fierte understanding that I do indeed carry a lot of weight? I am 6 feet tall.

Larry
my steel Uniscasi was built with OS Nobium tubes and those tubes have bigger diameters then my old Ti bike . YES , absolutely YES , Love steel yes :banana:

steve renner
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
hey, all - so far it's all CDA. I'm not overly concerned about the weight, more about ride quality for hard pace, climbing and mid - long mileage rides. What do you think the advantages of the steel / carbon are over the ti / carbon frames?

Has anyone actually ridden both the CDA and Fierte Ti? If so, please let me know your impressions of each.

Thanks

Steve

Chad Engle
05-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I haven't ridden a Fierte but I go about 225 lbs and the CDA is the bees knees. Get a sweet paint scheme. I tried to save some cash and went with a solid color and everytime someone post photo of their custom paint I wish I would have ponied up for the custom paint.

Good luck, you'll love either bike.

cydewaze
05-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow, this will make 2 OCLV owners in the same week moving to a CdA. Too funny. :p

Smiley
05-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I have an Hors Categorie Ti frame which I love , but my steel Uniscasi is in a league of its own, I forgot how nice steel was to ride and I love this new Nobium stuff , very light and has just the right snap to the drive train.

Argos
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Wow, this will make 2 OCLV owners in the same week moving to a CdA. Too funny. :p

As of June first, it will be 3.

Grandpa
05-17-2006, 11:18 AM
From first hand experience, I recommend the CDA.

I've ridden the Fierte in steel (not Ti...) and while very, very nice, doesn't compare the CDA which feels much more "robust."

I spent almost two years trying to decide what to ride...and test rode them all- 5200 to Zurich to Six13 to R2.5.

Coupled with the 6600 Ultegra crank, I get ZERO discernible flex at the BB. Handling is perfectly neutral...rides super solid...somewhat similar to the MX Leader but with better acceleration.

This really is a wonderful frame...mine is coupled with 10 speed Ultegra and Zipp Team CSC wheels (really sweet ride). Haven't weighed it, but feels like 17-18 lbs. Stock 58cm geometry. Niobium wall thickness is nothing to worry about.

BTW, I can say with certainty the 58cm Cervelo R2.5 feels like a wet noodle in comparison. Seriously. It climbs nice, but can't compare to the ride of the CDA in both stiffness and predictability.

Ray
05-17-2006, 11:24 AM
hey, all - so far it's all CDA. I'm not overly concerned about the weight, more about ride quality for hard pace, climbing and mid - long mileage rides. What do you think the advantages of the steel / carbon are over the ti / carbon frames?

Has anyone actually ridden both the CDA and Fierte Ti? If so, please let me know your impressions of each.

Thanks

Steve
Not a Serotta owner, but I've ridden plenty of steel and plenty of ti. Ti has its own feel to it, no question, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse, just different. It can be just as lively as steel, but is slightly more muted, a bit smoother feeling. But enough to matter....I don't think so and, again, I wouldn't even say its better. I've done plenty of climbing and century+ rides on both and whether I finish a long ride feeling good or feeling bad has NOTHING to do with the frame material - I've had great centuries and hurting ones on both materials.

Even if we assumed, for the sake of argument, that ti would be slightly more comfortable over a long haul (and I don't), going for a steel with a custom fit over a stock ti would be a no brainer for me. Any minor difference in ride quality would be blown away if the steel bike fits perfectly and the ti bike doesn't.

Sounds like another vote for the CDA.

-Ray

Ahneida Ride
05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I believe that Serotta has built CDA's for 300 pounders.

sworcester
05-19-2006, 02:40 PM
It really isn't that much to go to the La Corsa if your are set on Ti.
I just couldn't fit on a Fierte, so I ordered a LaCorsa (had to! ).

After years away, I have lost so much upperbody stretch, I needed the long seat tube, but a shorter top tube and in a few weeks will be a proud owner. (Thanks for the patience of Richardson Bike Mart!)

jonesy
05-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I've had my cda on the road for a couple of months now and it just gets better and better.I just went simple on the paint because it jacked the price up too much otherwise and I didn't want it to be an ornament.I don't care if it gets dirty or wet or the paint gets chipped.It's getting ridden as much as possible just like it was meant to be.I'd recommend one to anybody.

Lee

Ozz
05-19-2006, 05:29 PM
...So here's the deal - I'm 6'3", 178# and ride about 3,000 - 3,500 miles per year. Usually ride hard for a work out, hills included, typically about 2 hours at a time, with the periodic century thrown in a couple times per year....
We are about the same size, and have about the same riding profile. I have a CSI, which is the old lugged version of the CDA. With campy record and wheels, it comes it at about 19 lbs (on my bathroom scale. ;) ), if that matters to you.

I do my fair share of hills, and any problems getting to the top are fitness issues and not the bike.

I couldn't ask for a better bike.

Get fitted
Get the CDA (level top tube, steel rear triangle)
Put extra $300 into really nice handbuilt wheels and/or custom paint

You won't be disappointed.

Fixed
05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
As of June first, it will be 3.
argos bro back on steel can't wait to see this build .
cheers