PDA

View Full Version : 2016 mercedes metris new bike hauler option

alancw3
09-29-2015, 04:52 PM
coming out next month from what i heard on motorweek last night. looks to be a scaled down sprinter. only available with a four cylinder gas engine to start but looks very nice. potential bike hauler and price seems competitive with current minivans on market.
http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/home

bikinchris
09-29-2015, 05:45 PM
404 page does not exist.

I like my Transit Connect just fine.

Cicli
09-29-2015, 06:09 PM
404 page does not exist.

I like my Transit Connect just fine.

I have a Transit Connect as well. Great car.

rnhood
09-29-2015, 06:19 PM
The Transit Connect is very likely my next vehicle.

Andreas
09-29-2015, 06:20 PM
http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/commercial-vans/metris-passenger-van

Same as the Vito, has been around for a while.
Drove it 3 years ago for a few weeks in Europe.
Decent cars, reliable.

Only drove the transit connect a couple times. The Vito thing is better, but the Ford may be cheaper, don't know.

alancw3
09-30-2015, 01:04 AM
try this link:

http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/home

the metris seems to be a mid size rather than mini. perhaps comparable to the ford transit. seems reasonable at around $40k nicely equipped as a passage version. it would have to not be too tall to fit in a garage for me to consider though.

Pelican
09-30-2015, 02:50 AM
I was close to buying a Transit Connect, but will be waiting for the Metris. It's not in the same class (midsize versus most other small or large vans), and could be the perfect size for hauling bikes and driving in dense urban traffic.

allezdude
09-30-2015, 04:58 AM
Will the bodies succumb to tin worm (rust) like all the Sprinters I see around the Midwest ?

hokoman
09-30-2015, 06:28 AM
Sweet van. I always wondered why mercedes did not put sliding doors on the R class. If a manufacturer made an SUV with just one sliding rear door, it would be a home run. When we move back to the states, this will be an option.

Mikej
09-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Here in Wisconsin Sprinters rust to dust - I would also bet the US only gets the luxury version of that van ($50k+)- like Mercedes wants dudes like me traipsing through their dealerships while they try to close on an AMG S500 -

oldpotatoe
09-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Here in Wisconsin Sprinters rust to dust - I would also bet the US only gets the luxury version of that van ($50k+)- like Mercedes wants dudes like me traipsing through their dealerships while they try to close on an AMG S500 -

Hope it has something other than a 4 banger too. Lottta iron to move with a teeny engine. Be perfect with a high torque diesel...:rolleyes:

SpeedyChix
09-30-2015, 07:39 AM
Early on the Sprinter seemed like a superb solution, then the rust starting surfacing. They seem to rust quicker than any vehicle on the road today.

Ford Transit and Transit connect are looking like viable options these days.
Those that Metris looks nice.

AngryScientist
09-30-2015, 07:44 AM
nissan now has a pretty cool looking cargo/people hauler van line too. another option.

bcroslin
09-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Nice looking van and can even be spec'd with a Bluetec diesel. Problem is, by the time I'm done adding every feature I don't need the thing will cost $50k!

Anyone know of a site or national dealer that sells fleet sprinters, transits, etc off lease?

Birddog
09-30-2015, 08:19 AM
IIRC, the first transits to hit these shores scored two "firsts" in testing by Motor trend (or some similar publication). 1), Slowest 0 to 60 acceleration ever tested. 2) Longest braking distance from 60 MPH. I understand they have made improvements since then for the American market. Those tests were made on the same rig that Ford had been selling in the UK except with LH drive.

alancw3
09-30-2015, 09:10 AM
i priced one out on the mercedes website to build a vehicle. came out to $39k+ change. so i hope that is reasonable and available. gov fuel economy for high test gas is 20 city 24 highway and a combined 22. the height with the standard roof plus racks looks to be about 76 inches. that is like 6'4". i thnk my garage is 6'6" so it might work. just another option for a bike hauler. for me it is so nice to be able to put a bike in the back of a vehicle. i currently have a 2007 dodge minivan that will need to be replaced within the next year. the metris is certainly an option. my mb dealer does not have any in stock yet but will be forthcoming within the next month or two.

torquer
09-30-2015, 12:46 PM
- like Mercedes wants dudes like me traipsing through their dealerships while they try to close on an AMG S500 -
But will there be an AMG Metris?
(Hey, if Honda could let Mugen massage a Fit, why not this?)

Waldo
09-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Given Mercedes maintenance costs, I'll never ever buy another MBZ. Good riddance.

YMMV.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Given Mercedes maintenance costs, I'll never ever buy another MBZ. Good riddance.

YMMV.

Glad somebody said it. A guy I know needed a electric window motor on a not particularly old MBZ...low 4 figures all in thanks.

alancw3
10-01-2015, 04:01 AM

YMMV.

you are correct if serviced at the dealer. i have owned two mbz diesels years ago and the key is to find a good reliable garage that specializes in servicing mbz at a reasonable cost after the warrantee expires. the garage i used in naples was actually started by former mbz dealer mechanics.

oldfatslow
10-01-2015, 08:24 AM
You could get a Honda Odyssey EX-L which is more fun to drive, more comfortable, more reliable, more flexible, and better equipped.

And you'd have about $5000 left over to buy a kick-ass 333Fab.com Ti gravel road monster.

christian
10-01-2015, 08:28 AM
You could get a Honda Odyssey EX-L which is more fun to drive, more comfortable, more reliable, more flexible, and better equipped.

The day I sold my Porsche-built E500 Mercedes super sedan and bought an Odyssey EX-L was one of the happiest days of my life. (Though I didn't know it then.)

4Rings6Stars
10-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Glad somebody said it. A guy I know needed a electric window motor on a not particularly old MBZ...low 4 figures all in thanks.

Though not quite as expensive...my sister's Jetta had ALL FOUR window regulators fail within the first 5 years of its life. I had two go in my old A4. I don't think VAG owners can talk smack about reliability of other German cars :o

I'm appreciating our soul-less Japanese car (Highlander hybrid) more and more every day. The list of maintenance and repairs that have been done on my A4 in its 10 years of life (previous owner and me) is staggering. I entered all of the shop receipts into an excel file and it was decent for the first 3 years or so, but since then has been in the shop 2-3 times a year.