PDA

View Full Version : Making the most of U.S. shopping.

giverdada
09-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Hey friends:

I'm hoping to be in the Baltimore area for a half marathon in a couple weeks and looking forward to being among family again. I would like to make the most of my time there, and take advantage of things that Canada just doesn't have going for it right now: shoe prices and bikes.

Where do you buy running shoes for inexpensive while in the states? Our dollar is total crap right now, but even with that, shipping and initially lower prices make American pricing better than Canadian. Training for marathons means I eat through shoes faster than usual these days.

I noticed someone had a WTB thread about a classy steel mountain bike, and there was an offer for one for $50 or something amazing. I've been scouring the local classifieds here, in search of something to ride to reminisce about my youth, and nothing comes up. There was the exact bike of my youth, an S-Works from 1997 in my size, but it was about $200 more than my max budget. Where do you find good old aluminum MTB's with decent forks and that solid old shimano 8 speed stuff on 26" rims? If you need to clean something like this out of your garage, keep me posted - I'll be in Baltimore.

Thanks for the help. Now time to ride then run then...

TiminVA
09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
If you can do mail order while in the US, Running Warehouse for good prices on shoes.

kramnnim
09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
See if there's a Baltimore area MTB club with a forum or Facebook group...

Polyglot
09-29-2015, 12:18 PM
As strange as it may sound, you might be able to get things cheaper in Canada at the present time. The Canadian dollar has dropped in value so abruptly that many prices in Canada still reflect the exchange rate of 2 years ago. I would suggest checking things out closely.

deechee
09-29-2015, 12:23 PM
If you can do mail order while in the US, Running Warehouse for good prices on shoes.

+1. I usually ask visiting friends to bring them up for me.

DRZRM
09-29-2015, 05:12 PM
If you like New Balance, there is a New Balance outlet store at the Arundel Mills outlet shopping mall a few miles from the BWI airport. When I ran I always hit the NB outlets and found great deals.

giverdada
09-30-2015, 06:34 AM
sweet. thanks for the leads, folks. saving my pennies at the moment.