PDA

View Full Version : Which workstand for a home shop?

Avincent52
09-28-2015, 06:54 PM
I've decided that my back isn't what it used to be and if I'm going to work on my bike, it's going to have to be at waist level.

But which workstand?

This will be primarily for home use, although it's not inconceivable that it might made a road trip now and again.

It'll be mostly for road bikes, at least one of which is carbon (the seatpost is steel but that might change.)

Seatpost mount? (Like the Park PCS 10) Or fork mount? (Like the park PRS 20)
Is there a best-buy alternative to the snazzy blue ones?

What say you, Paceliners?

regularguy412
09-28-2015, 06:56 PM
I've decided that my back isn't what it used to be and if I'm going to work on my bike, it's going to have to be at waist level.

But which workstand?

This will be primarily for home use, although it's not inconceivable that it might made a road trip now and again.

It'll be mostly for road bikes, at least one of which is carbon (the seatpost is steel but that might change.)

Seatpost mount? (Like the Park PCS 10) Or fork mount? (Like the park PRS 20)
Is there a best-buy alternative to the snazzy blue ones?

What say you, Paceliners?

'Like' the PRS 20, but get the Feedback Sports version. Got mine earlier this spring and REALLLLLLY like it.

Mike in AR:beer:

Avincent52
09-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Regular Guy.
What makes the Feedback Sprint stand better than the Park PRS-20?
(...And worth a few more bucks from what I can see?)

guido
09-28-2015, 07:35 PM
The Feedback Sports stands are very well made from high quality materials. The jaws hold firmly without slipping or marring tubes. I find them a lot easier to lock and release than the Park stands. The uprights adjust easily and lock securely. They fold up easily and don't take up a lot of space when folded. I have the pro elite model that lets me work at a comfortable standing height even with the clamp on the seat post.

R3awak3n
09-28-2015, 07:35 PM
I dunno what makes it better but the spring is an excellent stand. I love mine.

regularguy412
09-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Regular Guy.

Much good info in this thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=152555&highlight=Feedback+Sports

dustyrider
09-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Regular Guy.

You get what you pay for! In person feedback stands make an impression.

I've been getting by with a pcs-10 for awhile now. It's certainly a fine example of getting what I paid for.

54ny77
09-28-2015, 07:48 PM
having just done a ton of overhaulin' on a few bikes, I am a huge fan of the feedback sports pro elite model. Makes things so much easier.

regularguy412
09-28-2015, 08:13 PM
I was lucky enough to get mine (Sprint) as a Father's Day present from my kiddo. It was on sale at Bike Bling (no affiliation with them for me) back in May.

Tin Turtle
09-28-2015, 08:42 PM
I use the PCS-10 and I have beat on it pretty good. When I was changing pedals on the Atlanta my friend was holding one side and I was leaning on it with all my weight on the arm side. It bent over, but never failed and the pedals finally popped loose.

FlashUNC
09-28-2015, 09:17 PM
I've got the Pro Elite from Feedback. It is the jam.

Put two bikes together and taken three apart on it with no issue.

josephr
09-30-2015, 11:57 AM
post a WTB on craigslist and see what you can find cheap....got a nice Park stand for $40!

Dired
09-30-2015, 12:00 PM
+1 for the Feedback Pro Elite

brockd15
09-30-2015, 12:07 PM
I have a Wrench Force stand that clamps the seatpost/frame and a Feedback Sports Sprint. Both have been great, but when I moved I put the Wrench Force in storage and took the Sprint, mostly because it's lighter and easier to store. If I could have only one, that would be it.

mhespenheide
09-30-2015, 12:18 PM
post a WTB on craigslist and see what you can find cheap....got a nice Park stand for $40!

+1

Watch your local CL or CL-alternative, and don't go for the bottom-end. If you're in a decently-sized area, something will come up.

Vinci
09-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Can you weld? My father and I made one a few years back and it has been great. I think it was probably around $40 in materials.

Here are the closest I have on my phone to picture of the stand:

http://i.imgur.com/yYPEhTCl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8L6x8yG.jpg

Slow Eddie
09-30-2015, 01:37 PM
I currently have 4 stands:

1.) Ultimate Bicycle Support (now Feedback Sports) Pro Elite - versatile, Nice for bikes that have through-axles. Like the quick release button. Not the best clamp orientation for aero seatposts. Packs down reasonably well

2.) Tacx Cycle Spider Team - hands-down best for road bikes with tradtional quick-release wheels. Stable, spins around, relatively compact. Wrenching, washing, building, overhauls - handles it all with aplomb. This is the stand that all the other companies copied to develop their own beam stands. Comes with a basic tool tray and truing stand. Doesn't care what your seatpost looks like; smallest portable stand I have packed down.

3.) Park PRS-4W - meant to be bolted to a wall stud, but I have mine u-bolted around a post in the basement shop. More stable than even the two-arm Park stands with the heavy base in the shops I used to work in. Mine uses the tried-and-true linkage clamp, but I think you can get it with just about any clamp Park makes. Not portable by any means, but bombproof and dependable.

4.) Park PCS-1 Frankenstand - the base is from a late-90's gray PCS-1; the swaged extenstion post is from the early 2000's and is blue; the top tube is a current-generation composite PCS, and the clamp is the 100-5X, one of the early iterations of the Extreme Range Clamp. Because you can orient the jaws in two different axes, aero tubes are no problem. Uses the quick-release lever that I love about the nicer Feedback Sports stands. A bit top-heavy, and not as compact as the feedback sports stand when broken down, but ATMO the best clamp Park has ever made.

Figure out what your needs are, and what your space and budget allow, and try as many out as you can get your hands on before plunking down for the best one you can afford. Good Hunting!

bmeryman
09-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Another vote for the Feedback stand.

Scooper
09-30-2015, 01:57 PM
I bought a Spin Doctor Pro G3 (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1030266_-1___400625) from Performance several years ago, and love it.

downtube
09-30-2015, 02:04 PM
I have had a Park PCS 10 for a few years. Always works great and has been a big help.

eippo1
09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
I went from an old Park with the spread legs to a Feedback Sport-Mechanic stand. So much better with everything including stability (of course Park abandoned the spread leg design too), except for the clamp. Should have spent the extra money on a non-screw clamp. Not a huge deal, but a PITA to have to hold the bike up while spinning.

soulspinner
09-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Timely. My cheapo Feedback with the spinner clamp has been repaired twice. :bike:

Avincent52
09-30-2015, 02:13 PM
That stand is truly awesome, Vinci.
My father could have built that in his sleep---he welded up the rim for the basketball hoop in our backyard-- but he never taught me to braze or weld. I'm sure he had his reasons, but I miss him a little extra today.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2012/04/26/my-dad-never-took-me-to-work-and-it-probably-saved-my-life/

drewellison
09-30-2015, 04:14 PM
I've got a Tacx spider team stand and I like it very much.

Pluses: lightweight (can easily pick it up and move it around), compact (comes apart easily for taking with you), easily spin your bike around, very stable (I can really reef on bb cups and pedals while in the stand).

Minuses: Can't mount a bike with a long front fender, can't adjust angle as the horizontal bar can only be horizontal. Neither of these are deal killers for me.

AJosiahK
09-30-2015, 04:18 PM
I use a park prs-25

Great for lots of stuff. Especially travel needs

Not the most stable stand, the next one for me will be a ceiling or floor mounted version.

xjoex
09-30-2015, 04:22 PM
I have a PCS-10, going on 9 years now. No complaints.

-Joe

wpod
09-30-2015, 04:25 PM
My Park Tool PRS-20 works great, appears bomb proof and offers great stability. Purchased off CL for $105 USD in unused condition. Could not be happier :beer:

warren128
09-30-2015, 04:29 PM
i've had a Park PCS-9 for 1.5 years or so, and I've been very satisfied with it.

54ny77
09-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Did you write that?

If so that was extraordinary.

My father could have built that in his sleep---he welded up the rim for the basketball hoop in our backyard-- but he never taught me to braze or weld. I'm sure he had his reasons, but I miss him a little extra today.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2012/04/26/my-dad-never-took-me-to-work-and-it-probably-saved-my-life/

Avincent52
09-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Did you write that?

If so that was extraordinary.

Yes, I did. Thank you for the kind words. That one really meant something.

OldCrank
09-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Poignant.
Well written, great job. Thanks for sharing.

Len J
09-30-2015, 06:46 PM
I have a Park Pre-15.

Best home stand IMO.... sturdy, portable and flexible as hell.

Len

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PRS-15-Professional-Stand/dp/B000WYAGE4/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Len J
09-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the link... powerful

Len

ftf
09-30-2015, 07:01 PM

That is an amazing story, and reminds me of my grandfather who worked in a zinc smelter for 30+ years, he took my father when he was about oh 16 to work, and my father who I would consider a tough man, said he knew he wasn't tough after spending less than 30 minutes inside.

Michon
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
I have a Feedback Pro ELite -like it - but don't love it - the Sprint is much nicer for builds and overhauls - elite is good for quick fixes

tumbler
09-30-2015, 10:05 PM

Sometimes you open a thread about a workstand and end up with something much more lasting and significant. Thanks for sharing that.

douglas
10-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Sometimes you open a thread about a workstand and end up with something much more lasting and significant. Thanks for sharing that.

Couldn't agree more. That was a powerful and moving article. Thanks for sharing it.

eippo1
10-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Wow, that was unexpected and a great read. Thanks for sharing that Allen. BTW, you could take a framebuilding class to sort of reconnect with his spirit.

soulspinner
10-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that. Reminds me of my dad, at 82 working 40 plus hours a week designing stuff he usually cant tell me about. Sometimes work is its own reward.

Jeff Borisch
10-01-2015, 09:50 AM

I'm saving that to read and reread. His hard work paid off.

Avincent52
10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks so much for reading and for the kind words.

I'm often reluctant to share things like this even after they're published.
It's one thing to share with strangers, but quite another another to share with friends who know what kind of bike you ride and maybe even sold you a saddle.

I love the idea of a framebuilding course, Eippo, but I also know my limitations.
I think maybe I'll stick to working hard at something I'm good at, and honoring my Dad that way.

Or maybe I'll just build a workstand.

thanks again
Allen

AngryScientist
10-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Well done article Allen.

I could tell you stories about asbestos that would make your head spin, some really frightening and disappointing stuff.

as for workstands: the one you've seen in my garage is a cheap feedback stand. it was really an afterthought to hold a bike up while i clean it really. my main work stand which i use if i have to do any real bike maint is in the basement shop and is also a feedback tripod typed stand. they are excellently made.

i also have a fork mounted stand that i made, and it's useful for certain activities, but remember you always have to take the front wheel off to use it, which is inconvenient for simple stuff, like lubing a chain.

you're welcome to come over and use my welding machine(s)...

Lewis Moon
10-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm going to need a stand pretty soon. Anyone have any history with the Elite Race Work Stand? Performance (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1132215_-1___) has them on sale.

guido
10-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Nice piece. Thanks for sharing!

My dad started in the trades, went to school and became a teacher, then a principal, then went back to the trades.

Lots of interesting resonance as I contemplate my own life and practice my tig welding...

EPIC! Stratton
10-01-2015, 02:16 PM
I've got the Bontrager ProWrench stand. Picked it up when I worked in a shop. Overall works nicely. Added a topeak shelf to it (required making a shim out of some old tire). Makes it even better.

http://bikeline.com/images/library/large/bntr_stand_09_m.jpg

I like the tripod design and seatpost/frame clamp over other designs. Wish the clamp was more like the shop stands though.

zap
10-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I have an old Park stand (model #?). It's the one with the big, heavy steel base plate......very useful when working on a tandem.

dolface
10-01-2015, 03:55 PM
That was great, thank you for sharing (and now I'm trying to see the screen through tears) :cool:

shovelhd
10-01-2015, 05:59 PM
I have the older grey Park home repair stand, the one with the two folding legs. I got it on CL for $20.

Avincent52
10-02-2015, 08:45 AM
That was great, thank you for sharing (and now I'm trying to see the screen through tears) :cool:

I couldn't quite bring myself to read it before I posted it.
Maybe I'll channel my friend guitar builder Wayne Henderson and build a workstand out of wood.
Thanks again, guys.

thwart
10-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Thanks for posting that link. Great piece. Should really be a sticky for Father's Day.

Now, on to the more mundane... I have both a Topeak PrepStand and a Park PCS-1. The PrepStand is really nice in that it has a digital scale and is easily broken down for travel, but the PCS-1 is super stable, bulletproof, and really all you need.

I'd agree with trying a WTB on CraigsList.

druptight
10-02-2015, 10:38 AM
I've had this one for 2 years now, it's done what I need it to, but there's times I wonder if one of the fork mounted ones isn't safer when you're trying to torque something down (or unscrew something really stuck on), as it reduces the risk of putting creases in tubes or damaging seatposts (neither of which I've done but both of which I'm constantly scared of).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F2S824/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1