PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone else have a bunch of the 'same' bike?

redearedslider5
09-28-2015, 11:58 AM
I started my foray into bikes about a year ago and somehow, my interests have converged. I've ended up building essentially the same bike, over and over. All italian steel, all campy, with the exception of one litespeed with dura-ace. I know having a ton of bikes isn't terribly uncommon but is it weird to just do the same thing over and over?

Lewis Moon
09-28-2015, 12:07 PM
I have two 58cm Ridley 'cross biles w/Campy. They might look the same but one is decked out as a road/gravel bike and one is an off road/'cross/mountain bike.

Vinci
09-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Of all mine, I've never had the same setup twice, but I can understand why someone would. If you like it, why not?

sandyrs
09-28-2015, 12:12 PM
I have:
A "relaxed" road bike with Campy
A "crit" road bike with Shimano
A cyclocross bike with SRAM 1x
and
A mountain bike with Shimano 1x

so no :)

but if I had the space and funds, I would probably build up two nearly identical cross bikes. Maybe one would be a singlespeed but the geometry would be identical.

eippo1
09-28-2015, 12:13 PM
My same setups generally only end up being the contact points, Ritchey evocurve bars, Ritchey WCS stem (different lengths though), and Selle Italia SLK or SLR Superflow saddles. Otherwise all are very different.

By the way, where are your pictures? Can't have this thread without pics.

redearedslider5
09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
you know, you'd think i'd have pictures of all the bikes i've ever had/built but my photography is so pathetic that it wouldn't do them justice.

David Kirk
09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm just the opposite I guess. I have one of each of the following -

road bike
cross bike
mountain bike
fat bike
BMX bike

There was a time when i owned many more than one of each but I found I only used one so the rest went away. The one bike I'd like to have is a fixed gear road bike to add to the quiver.

dave

guido
09-28-2015, 12:27 PM
1 Shimano 11 based steel cx frame used for road/climbing contexts
1 Sram/Shimano 10 based steel 650B rando bike for road/dirt adventures
1 Shimano 11 based steel 559 all road bike currently being re-built again...
1 Shimano 10 speed based steel road bike that lives on the trainer
1 bare ti frame which doesn't fit all that well but is too beautiful to sell...

No dups in the strictest sense but certainly a bunch of overlap...

christian
09-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I have tried this in the past. It never worked longer than six months for me. It just ends up being more work than more fun.

I presently have a road bike, a fat-tire road bike, a cross bike, and a mountain bike. I am good with that distribution.

ofcounsel
09-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I've got:

An "endurance" carbon road bike
A carbon hardtail 29er
A carbon 100mm rear/120mm front cross Country/trail full suspension 29er
A carbon 135mm rear/140mm front all-mountain carbon 29er.

The range covers pretty much everything I need. The builds are mostly all SRAM, but I use XT brakes on two of my MTB builds. Until Sram came out with the Guide line of brakes last year, the only viable brakes for me were Shimano. I now like the Guides a bit better (pretty equal in stopping power, but SRAM has slightly better modulation IMHO), but not a big enough difference between the brakes to warrant swapping out the XTs on the other bikes.

I may end up picking up an 80's Italian steel/campy bike as an art piece.

zennmotion
09-28-2015, 12:45 PM

road bike
cross bike
mountain bike
fat bike
BMX bike

There was a time when i owned many more than one of each but I found I only used one so the rest went away. The one bike I'd like to have is a fixed gear road bike to add to the quiver.

dave

Fixed gear rocks for rolling hills and slick winter roads, keeps your legs warm and your tires planted, and feels like "pure" riding. I like 2 brakes- if you have 2 brake hoods anyway for your hands they might as well be functional, plus 3 effective brakes feels like perfect modulation AND stopping power, not that you really need it at less than 20mph... Terrabend stays and cantis on a road fixed gear (no need for the extra power of Vbrakes or discs here), with room for 35s and fenders would be awesome. Let your queue wait a little, treat yourself! Orange and gulf blue of course...

pdmtong
09-28-2015, 01:08 PM
are you asking about building a variety of road frames with the same grouppo/cockpit or asking about genre variety?

if the former, for road
- I like the same bar/saddle/pedals (duh)
- the post/stem/tape can vary
- the brakes can vary
- I like campy, but have sram on my cx

if the latter
- road (various frame materials had or have: carbon, 953, XcR, ti/carbon, custom steel blend)
- full suspension mtb
- full suspension tandem
- single speed belt
- cx

would like to get a big hit DH bike but the space requirement and frequency of use don't justify it. however, nothing would be sweeter the handful of times a year I could use it.

SoCalSteve
09-28-2015, 01:10 PM
I have 4 road bikes, pretty much all with the same geo numbers.

1.) fillet brazen steel ( single speed )

2.) all Ti ( DI2 Ultegra w/ Reynolds carbon wheels)

3.) all carbon w ISP ( DI2 Ultegra w/ ENVE carbon wheels )

4.) mixed Ti and carbon ( DI2 Dura Ace w/ Reynolds carbon wheels )

So, all the same except the material is different on all my bikes.

weisan
09-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Used to. Not anymore. :hello:

AJM100
09-28-2015, 01:26 PM
I like to differentiate builds based on vintage and gearing , , ,

8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speeds, etc., single speed . . . you get the idea . . .

common thread - steel frames - geometry differences/fork differences (carbon or steel) . . .

PaMtbRider
09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
3 of my 5 road bikes have a steel frame and fork, and mid-reach brakes. I tell myself each one is different. Obviously there is a lot of overlap.

Ride first....work later!!!!!

wallymann
09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
is there an echo?!?!

then there are the 5 other bikes...

zmudshark
09-28-2015, 01:56 PM

road bike
cross bike
mountain bike
fat bike
BMX bike

dave

Maybe you can find someone to build you one ;)

CampyorBust
09-28-2015, 02:01 PM
All italian steel, all campy, with the exception of one litespeed with dura-ace.

Yes, but they are not the same, they all have different names and years and colors and saddles and..and...and. This condition is diagnosed as collecting, hoarding or n+1 and it is totally accepted by the cycling community. We are but guardians of the precious.

witcombusa
09-28-2015, 02:10 PM
I started my foray into bikes about a year ago and somehow, my interests have converged. I've ended up building essentially the same bike, over and over. All italian steel, all campy, with the exception of one litespeed with dura-ace. I know having a ton of bikes isn't terribly uncommon but is it weird to just do the same thing over and over?

Nope, I'm very deliberate to build different years, groups and purpose spanning 6 plus decades. But I do know many people that do EXACTLY what
you are talking about!

David Kirk
09-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Maybe you can find someone to build you one ;)

I hope you're offering........I'm too busy to do it.

dave

JAGI410
09-28-2015, 02:28 PM
I have my genres covered, and try to avoid duplicate capabilities when I can. Current lineup:

-Cargo bike
-Klunker
-Cross/Commuter
-Fat bike
-mountain bike
-fixed gear/road bike

redearedslider5
09-28-2015, 02:29 PM
i have:

road bike
road bike
road bike
road bike
road bike

thirdgenbird
09-28-2015, 02:45 PM
I have tried this in the past. It never worked longer than six months for me. It just ends up being more work than more fun.

I presently have a road bike, a fat-tire road bike, a cross bike, and a mountain bike. I am good with that distribution.

Funny, I just got down to road, fat tire road, and a mountain bike but a cross bike is tempting me.

scrubadub
09-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Most of mine are basically road bikes. I have a couple variations of lugged steel frames (built by solo framebuilders from the central and north eastern US). My current obsession is with lugged mass produced carbon (Colnago C40 and Look 585). I try to vary the wheels and groups though to keep things mixed up. The geos are also different enough that the bikes have their own characteristics.

zmudshark
09-28-2015, 03:00 PM
I hope you're offering........I'm too busy to do it.

dave

I could do it, but you wouldn't make it to the end of the drive without catastrophic failure.

PVC is about as skilled as I can get.

You may want to see if you can get in Carl's queue, if you don't have time...save on shipping ;)

leooooo
09-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Lol, extremely guilty of this

Steve in SLO
09-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Mine are all different colors, so I'm counting that as a "no".

tv_vt
09-28-2015, 03:10 PM
All my bikes are Shimano 9 speed with same handlebars, saddle and pedals.
But frames are different: all carbon, carbon/ti, all ti, all ti/coupled, steel.

As far as same bike, I did have two Look 585 frames, one built with short cage RD and one with long cage RD for serious climbing days. I sold one of them (but will never sell the other one). Will use the long cage RD on the keeper. No disadvantage to using it full-time from what I could tell.

I may sell the all-ti frame and carbon/ti frame to make room for a second Hampsten all-ti frame to go with the coupled all-ti Hampsten. Those two will be close to being the same bike, but subtly different (short reach vs long reach brakes, for example).

charliedid
09-28-2015, 03:11 PM

So you have been at this for "about a year" and you end up doing the same thing over and over? Exactly what are we talking about here? I mean it's only been a year...:rolleyes:

Are you into stereos and cameras too? :D

thermalattorney
09-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Living in an apartment I simply don't have room for bikes that overlap too much. That said, my 3 bikes are all 700c w/ 25-32mm tires, have similar saddles and SPDs:

If I ever own the shed of my dreams I'll totally have a bit more overlap. :p

jdp211
09-28-2015, 03:25 PM
There was a short while when I had a Gaulzetti Corsa (that didn't really fit), a CAAD9 (that did), and a Spooky Skeletor (that also fit). I realized there was a redundancy, picked the one that I liked best (the Spooky), and have switched the stable around to eliminate redundancies.

The stable still includes that Skeletor, but now also has a matching purple ano Spooky CX bike, and a Salsa disc monstercross thing that I'm not really sure what to call. I'd say it's a more balanced group of bikes, especially now that I don't have as much time to ride, but given more time and money I'd definitely see those redundancies resurface.

fuzzalow
09-28-2015, 04:24 PM
My interest in bikes is extremely defined and provincial - road race bikes, Campagnolo only and usually Italian or stylistic derivations of same. That's all folks. A veritable "Ground Hog Day" in a lifetime of bikes that changed only so far as color and riding position.

Nuthin' wrong with that, ya like whatcha' like.

Johnny P
09-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Three road bikes. A steel commuter, a Ti Serotta, and a carbon Trek Domane. All with campy.

redearedslider5
09-28-2015, 05:14 PM
current fleet:

fausto coppi w/ chorus/record 10
litespeed classic w/ dura ace 9
tommaso w/ chorus 10
eddy merckx corsa w/ chorus/record 10
eddy merckx titanium ex w/ chorus 11
pinarello asolo w/ daytona 9

eBAUMANN
09-28-2015, 05:31 PM
i have a bunch of road bikes but all have their "place" in the stable, determined by material, sentimental value, and cool factor.

for example, road bikes. i have 6...potentially bumping up to 8 if i build up the ti and aluminum frames i have on ice...
2 di2 (carbon and steel), 2 campy (steel and stainless), 2 vintage ex-pro (MAX)
a common thread amongst them is that they are all one-of-a-kind handmade frames.

they all bring something different to the table and i try to give em all equal time on the road but thats been hard since making myself a frame i really love.

if you arent a bike-obessessed geek like myself (and many here) there is really no reason to own more than 3 bikes (road, cx, mtn) with maybe a 4th for commuter duties. though it is definitely nice having backups/loaners, especially if you race.

Len J
09-28-2015, 06:40 PM
I started with a road bike and a backup road bike ....(& a trainer bike)
Then added a Fixie. w fenders.......
Then a travel bike.

Probably should get rid of one of the road bikes since I got the travel bike, but......

Need to get a Fat bike.

Len

moose8
09-28-2015, 06:43 PM
If you ask my wife I have 7 of the same "bikes". If you ask me they are all very different.

parris
09-28-2015, 08:55 PM
I've got 3 steel road bikes due to how things have shook out over the years. The 2 older bikes got a good amount of time until I got my latest bike which fits like a pair of well broken in boots. The older bikes now hang on the hook most of the time.

ultratoad
09-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Let us just say that I own more than one Pegoretti.... AND yes they are all Campy....

DRZRM
09-28-2015, 09:22 PM
I could use Dave's list, except I have a fixed road bike (steel lugged Johnny Cycle) and would like a BMX bike so I can ride with my son at the track (he is seven).

Then I have one each:

Road (ti Firefly)
Cross (ti IF)
Fat bike (Dave's old Surly)
MTB (steel Zanconato hardtail 29er)

Though I did leave a few bikes at my family's place back east (road, cross, MTB) but I don't count those.

road bike
cross bike
mountain bike
fat bike
BMX bike

dave

SPOKE
09-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Of multiples of the same frames and/or builders. I have 3 paramount 50th anniversary frames. 3 built by Dave Kirk (4th in queue). 2 from Richard Sachs. 2 from Kelly Bedford. 3 Teledyne Titans. 2 Serotta CSi's (if you include the 25th anniversary frame then I have 3).
All the geometries are pretty close on the ones I had built for me. Most have either Campy or Shimano.
I really enjoy grabbing a bike off the rack and enjoying the the subtle differences in ride quality between them. :beer:

d_douglas
09-28-2015, 10:33 PM
I feel like having more than one of a particular kind of bike constitutes being a. 'Collector' and I don't want to be one. It's irrational, but this is how I feel.

My wife bought me this used Supercorsa frameset that I have built up with Record and Chorus alloy, Record /Nemesis tubulars and while I is undeniably sexy Italian steel, I think I am going to sell it because I have a modern custom steel frame that is wimpy awesome to ride. It just doesn't make sense to keep the a Cinelli.

I have 2x road bikes (as above), a CX bike, a FS bike, and a CX/commuter. I also have my. Vicious 29er hardtail that I am trying to sell so that I can reinvest in a Chromag 29er. I don't see the need for any other bikes....

fogrider
09-28-2015, 11:06 PM
a cross bike and a mountain bike
all ride great, but there are differences...training bikes are setup with aluminum wheelsets, really reliable and always ready to go...then I have retro-mod steel bike that rides great and for long hard rides, an all carbon lightweight setup with aero wheels.

bismo37
09-28-2015, 11:26 PM
I like to think I have bikes that cover a spectrum of different needs and uses so it justifies my need to keep them. In reality, I could probably keep two and be in the same state I am in now.

Currently i have:

Sloppy rain day rust-proof bike: Klein Q Pro with fenders.
Not-so-sloppy rain day rust-proof bike: Strong Ti road bike with fenders
Pretty boy bike that checks off all my boxes: Winter MAX steel frame/fork
Gravel/dirt road 35mm tire bike: Signal Cycles steel bike
Go fast, light road bike: Hampsten MAX steel.
In waiting: Another go fast, light steel bike: Speedvagen
Just sold my full squish MTB.

In reality, I could get by with the Signal and one of the lightweight road bikes but where's the fun in that?

gomango
09-29-2015, 05:00 AM
I ended up with three Chris Kvales that essentially filled the same purpose.

When I was contacted by a forum member here about a willingness to let one go, I said yes.

He now owns my white one. :)

I'm trying to tie acquisitions to need, which can feel like whimsy and folly when presented with all of the incredible bikes on this forum.

The next bike I add is tied to a fitness goal I have set for myself. It's in my own best interest to wait till a weight/wellness goal is reached.

paredown
09-29-2015, 06:06 AM
I think there are stages--at first you are trying to figure out what you like (and why). I think you can over-invest in similar bikes, in part because you think the next one will be better (or different).

Recognizing that your tastes have coalesced, I would be tempted to figure out which one really floats your boat, and sell the rest. This is about where I am at.

Then you could expand your horizons--try other materials, maybe go crazy and try a custom or try a purpose-built bike like a 29er or gravel bike.

Or you could just be a collector--n+1 and all....

veloduffer
09-29-2015, 06:28 AM
I'm trying to tie acquisitions to need, which can feel like whimsy and folly when presented with all of the incredible bikes on this forum.

Let's face it, we're a needy bunch. 😊 As I read this thread, there's a parallel in our reasoning with how my wife explains her multiple handbags.

That said, I have multiple bikes with similar geometry but different materials:
Cross - 1 carbon, 1 titanium
Road - 1 carbon, 1 titanium, 1 steel

I also have a Ti touring/gravel, Alu hybrid with discs and full squishy.

AJosiahK
09-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Let's face it, we're a needy bunch. 😊 As I read this thread, there's a parallel in our reasoning with how my wife explains her multiple handbags.

Kinda this, but shoes for my lady. She is not as guilty as I am in terms of bikes however.

I own and ride some neat machines but I'll spare the details.
2cx
2 29ers - 1 SS
1 road
1 gravel
1 SS townie

I would say, for all of us, this is what we do. Cycling and it's parts are what we are passionate about right? We all ride for different reasons but when it comes down to it, we need a bike for each mood. :banana::banana::banana:

smontanaro
09-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Mine are, for the most part, 70s-80s road bikes with Campy NR or SR groups. Frame-wise, they tend to be Italian or American road bikes (Medici, Atala, RRB, Redcay). I do have a Schwinn Volare with first gen Dura-Ace (rode it to work yesterday and today, in fact). I also have several drawers full of parts, which, again, tend to be mostly Campy from that period. I do have a Regina 1992 group awaiting a candidate frame, and some Galli equipment (derailleurs, cranks) also waiting for me to spring for a frame.

I have a few French bikes/frames which more-or-less followed me home (I wasn't looking for them). I have a Peugeot PX-10 hanging in the garage awaiting a lot of attention and a flip or swap for a larger frame, an unnamed frame of some sort with a mixture of French and British threads, and I recently scored a like new Motobecane mixte which I'm outfitting for my wife for around town use. That means I also have some French stuff, but the difficulty finding French dimension parts gives me fits at times. :crap:

Excepting the French oddballs, the rather narrow focus on years and styles means I have lots of interchangeable parts.

sharprace
09-29-2015, 08:50 AM
I haven't quite amassed a collection of the 'same' bike, but I think that's because I'm still trying to find 'the one'.

Joxster
09-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Four Eddy Merckx all with full Campag Record
Bianchi FG Lite with full Campag Record
Dacorrdi steel frame with Campag Chorus
Giant OCR with full Campag Record
Kona Coil Air Supreme with XT/XTR mix
Spesh Epic with full XT
Orange P7 with full XT

LouDeeter
09-29-2015, 09:38 AM
A year isn't enough time to have sampled the offerings and determine what is 'best' for you, whether it be size, parts, material. Things like setback, handlebar drop, crank arm length, saddle, pedals--these all take time to dial in. While I think that after all the sampling, you could very easily end up with Italian steel with Campagnolo, without actually sampling other things, it would be hard to say that is the correct decision.

After hundreds of bikes over the last 35 years, I have 9 bikes. Of those, two are aluminum, the rest are steel. Only one is non-USA made. Of the nine, two have downtube shifters with mostly Campagnolo. The others are 3 with 9 Speed Campagnolo Record; 1 with 10 speed Campagnolo Mirage; 1 with Shimano 9 Ultegra; 1 with Shimano 10 DuraAce; and 1 with Shimano Ultegra 10. Saddles are almost all Selle San Marco Regal. Pedals are all Speedplay X series. Of the 9, 7 have 130 rear spacing, 1 has 126, and 1 has 120.

EPIC! Stratton
09-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Oh man. All different for me. That said, I want more gravel/adventure/touring style bikes. It's nice when parts can be moved around between them.

jzisk
10-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Three of mine are modern, tight racing geometry; 10 spd; all Campy Record; ISM Podium saddle; Keo Max Carbon pedals and Stans Alpha 300, 2x/3x/32h-- But the frames themselves are the critical feel-- a Pegoretti Marcelo, an IF SSR, and a Serotta Legnd Ti... And they all feel quite different. Then for a blast from the past I ride a Masi GC (1980/Eisentraut) and a 1975 Serotta custom, which feel different too-- from the modern trio and from each other. This is at almost 60 years on the planet, after a lot of riding. There's a narrow range of parameters I prefer, but a wonderful subtle difference each bike conveys.