PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 200 problems

LegendRider
09-27-2015, 06:05 PM
I've had a Garmin 200 - my first GPS device - for about a year and it's "performance" is worsening. For example, it takes considerably longer to find a signal and occasionally my speed registers "0" for no obvious reason. It occurs frequently enough that appears not to be incidental based on the weather, etc.

What gives? Do Garmin's just crap out over time?

SoCalSteve
09-27-2015, 06:40 PM
I've had a Garmin 200 - my first GPS device - for about a year and it's "performance" is worsening. For example, it takes considerably longer to find a signal and occasionally my speed registers "0" for no obvious reason. It occurs frequently enough that appears not to be incidental based on the weather, etc.

What gives? Do Garmin's just crap out over time?

Few thoughts...

Do you delete your rides? If and when the memory gets full, they can get erratic.

Have you done any kind of soft reset? It's a computer and on occasion they need to be reset.

Do you ride under a lot of trees? If so, the speed may be spotty. Can that unit accept Ant sensors? If so, try riding with a speed sensor. Will be a lot less susceptible to weather, trees, etc and will be far more accurate.

If all else fails, call Garmin. They are pretty smart there.

Good luck!

pff
09-28-2015, 12:00 AM
i've had the same problem with my edge 500, although it took more like 3-4 years to start happening. The GPS is way sketchier than it used to be, frequently drifting off the road.

djg21
09-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Maybe check the Garmin Forums: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Cycling

If you want to roll back to an early forward version, that did work for me on my Edge 810. Instructions follow:

Rollback:
1. You can download the needed firmware from http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html
2. Rename it to GUPDATE.GCD and copy it to the Garmin folder on the device, then:
3. Turn it off (it should turn off by itself after you unplug it from the USB).
4. Turn it back on using the power button.
5. After device initialization (loading maps etc) you will be prompted if you want to proceed as software on your device (3.60) is newer that the one you want to install (3.40) - confirm this.
5. Rollback will be processed and the required firmware will be installed.

Be sure that Garmin Express is not running in the background or that it is not started when the device is plugged into USB.