PDA

View Full Version : Best Budget Kit?

dk2ck
09-27-2015, 01:24 AM
I don't own much kit but what I do own is pretty nice/high quality. I'm looking into buying some budget bibs/jerseys to supplement the nice stuff (and maybe race cross in?). What are your choices for best bang for your buck kits? I am vertically challenged (5'5") so a manufacturer that makes smaller sizes would be awesome. I tend to wear XS in Rapha to give you an idea of sizing.

milkbaby
09-27-2015, 04:06 AM
I'm 5'6" 135 pounds right now, and for full price kit, Voler is a decent value, maybe about $60-70 for jerseys, $90-120 for bibs? I wear their XS jerseys and small bibs, same sizes I wear in Rapha (except in lightweight and proteam jerseys, I wear small).

To be honest, I usually go online for discounted kit instead. It seems like you can always get high end Castelli, Nalini, Capo, and others for 20%, 40%, and sometimes even 70% off if you shop around and/or hit eBay. I'm not sure I've ever bought anything from Rapha that wasn't on sale at the time.

The custom jerseys from Paceline sponsor Eleven Velo are a great deal especially with the currency exchange rate in the US right now.

holliscx
09-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Shop kits probably. Of course there are exceptions but these may offer the best value of quality to price.

Joachim
09-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Custom of course :)

shovelhd
09-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Agreed on Voler. At full price it is nice kit for the money. Through the outlet or using coupons a bargain. Sign up to get coupons.

dgauthier
09-27-2015, 08:22 AM
+1 on Holliscx's suggestion of shop kit. I used to love everything Castelli, but when they changed their bib designs some years back none of them worked for me. I tried on every brand of bibs in the local Performance shop, and the $60-something Performance brand bibs felt the most comfortable, even compared to bibs 5X the price.

I learned the most compatible kit can exist at any price. You may find some of your budget kit becomes your favorite kit.

Elefantino
09-27-2015, 12:40 PM
The men's stuff is pretty good, too.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/reviews/best-100-kit-weve-ever-tried

dk2ck
09-27-2015, 01:00 PM
To be honest, I usually go online for discounted kit instead. It seems like you can always get high end Castelli, Nalini, Capo, and others for 20%, 40%, and sometimes even 70% off if you shop around and/or hit eBay. I'm not sure I've ever bought anything from Rapha that wasn't on sale at the time.

Do you find that you wear the same size in Rapha as you do in Castelli/Nalini/Capo?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

milkbaby
09-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Do you find that you wear the same size in Rapha as you do in Castelli/Nalini/Capo?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Pretty much, I'm 5'6", 135 pounds, about 29-30" waist (not measured but pants size), 34-35" chest and basically wear small or extra small jerseys and small bibs. Sometimes the inseam is quite short on the small Italian bibs but their medium are too loose above the leg gripper and up through the body for me.

Be careful though, all those brands have varied sizing, some lines are more club fit, some more race fit.

pff
09-28-2015, 12:14 AM
whatever's on clearance at competitive cyclist. Some of the stuff turns out to be crap (babici for example) but other stuff's pretty good (craft, demarchi, sportful)

sandyrs
09-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Cutaway bibs are nice and you can get 20% off with an email signup. Their jerseys are really lightweight and also pretty nice for the money. I think the bibs are a better value though.

eippo1
09-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Wait until StephenCL does another Zanconato kit made by TexMarket. Fantastic kit as good or better than my Assos gear at close to half the price. Also recently got an Eleven Velo Pro jersey and it is quite nice.

dk2ck
10-02-2015, 12:48 PM
I did an order from the Cadence sale and their kit is really nice at that price. 50% off some of the jerseys/bibs: www.cadencecollection.com/collections/sale I vaguely remember reading their kit is made by Capo?