PDA

View Full Version : Nipple washers on Pacenti SL23 build? Wheelbuilder question.

DRZRM
09-26-2015, 10:01 AM
So I'm going to build my second set of SL23 wheels, my first was V.1 Pacenti SL23 rims to DTSwiss 240s hubs and they are going strong. Tubeless CX wheels for my travel bike, they have taken a beating on Park City MTB trails and being crammed into the S&S box with no notable issues.

Now I need to build a set with V.2 SL23 rims to Record hubs for my Firefly, 32 hole, 3x cross. BikeHubStore recommends using Nipple Washers (http://www.bikehubstore.com/Sapim-Nipple-Washer-Round-PolyAx-p/spw-1.htm), especially on the drive side rear. I've never used these (I've now built nearly 10 sets of wheels and they are all going strong). Should I? Will they build a stronger wheel, or is BHS just trying to move their inventory? What does it do to spoke lengths given that they add 1.4 mm to rim ERD.

Finally, before I go into the spoke length calculator and figure out what length spokes I need, fully acknowledging that there is about a 50% chance I will order the wrong size spokes, have to rebuild, and delay my build by weeks if not months, does anyone know what spoke lengths this build calls for? Ergott?

Anyway, thanks for your help as always.

Zach

oldpotatoe
09-26-2015, 10:09 AM
So I'm going to build my second set of SL23 wheels, my first was V.1 Pacenti SL23 rims to DTSwiss 240s hubs and they are going strong. Tubeless CX wheels for my travel bike, they have taken a beating on Park City MTB trails and being crammed into the S&S box with no notable issues.

Now I need to build a set with V.2 SL23 rims to Record hubs for my Firefly, 32 hole, 3x cross. BikeHubStore recommends using Nipple Washers (http://www.bikehubstore.com/Sapim-Nipple-Washer-Round-PolyAx-p/spw-1.htm), especially on the drive side rear. I've never used these (I've now built nearly 10 sets of wheels and they are all going strong). Should I? Will they build a stronger wheel, or is BHS just trying to move their inventory? What does it do to spoke lengths given that they add 1.4 mm to rim ERD.

Finally, before I go into the spoke length calculator and figure out what length spokes I need, fully acknowledging that there is about a 50% chance I will order the wrong size spokes, have to rebuild, and delay my build by weeks if not months, does anyone know what spoke lengths this build calls for? Ergott?

Zach

Kirk's rims but he told me not required on v2 rims, and I have built all v2 w/o.

I get 285/287, 288 for lengths.

DRZRM
09-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Thanks you Peter, much appreciated. I'll assume those measurements are right, can't think of a much better source.

Kirk's rims but he told me not required on v2 rims, and I have built all v2 w/o.

I get 285/287, 288 for lengths.

dgauthier
09-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Nipple washers? Too much bother. I just wash mine with everything else.

(I am so, so, sorry. I couldn't resist.)

makoti
09-26-2015, 03:02 PM

Zach

FWIW, when I built mine (V1) Kirk suggested washers only if I was going to go with a low spoke count. At 32, you shouldn't need them.

weisan
09-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Not to muddle the water, Kirk actually suggested that I use washer for v2 32h built.

DRZRM
09-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Not to muddle the water, Kirk actually suggested that I use washer for v2 32h built.

Thanks a lot Weisan!! No seriously, I guess a PM to Kirk is now in order. And I'll have to add a MM length to the spokes too, right?

AngryScientist
09-26-2015, 05:54 PM
the V1 Pacentis had a thin rim bed that was prone to cracking. i built a set of V1's using washers, and at the time, the recommendation for me and my weight was to just use the washers on the drive side of the rear due to the spoke tension.

kirk made the V2 model to address two concerns, ease of tire mounting and rim bed depth. Zach, if you're building a set of 32 spoke wheels, you dont need the washers on the V2 rims. there is, however nothing wrong with using them, as an extra measure of insurance, especially for wheels that will see a lot of abuse.

miguel
09-26-2015, 07:17 PM
How do I determine which is v1 and v2?

Just purchased 2 sets for the shop this week

DRZRM
09-26-2015, 11:07 PM
How do I determine which is v1 and v2?

Just purchased 2 sets for the shop this week

I think the V.1 labels look like this:

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SL23-1.jpg

while the v.2 stickers look like this.

http://www.justridingalong.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1600x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/p/a/pacenti_sl23_sticker.jpg

Additionally, I think the v.1 are 23mm wide and the v.2 are 24.5.

marciero
09-27-2015, 05:01 AM

I thought the v1 were 24 and v2 25. My v1 are noticeably wider than my velocity A3.

Joachim
09-27-2015, 07:01 AM
I think the V.1 labels look like this:

Those are both v1 in the picture, just different stickers (ie v1 has had both stickers). The V2 sticker looks like the sticker in the second pic but it has a narrower brake track and the finish is more matte than gloss.... if you want to distinguish visually. Can't miss the difference in brake tracks between v1 and v2.

With regards to the external width, V2 is 24.5. Internal is 20.3

In a few weeks these will be build up :). V2 in a unique finish.

weisan
09-27-2015, 07:10 AM
The V2 sticker looks like the sticker in the second pic but it has a narrower brake track and the finish is more matte than gloss.... if you want to distinguish visually.

joachim pal is spot on.