PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Diamante Pros vs Open Pave clinchers and the TPI impact on PSI?

CampyorBust
09-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Does anybody have experience with both? How do they compare?

I missed out on the Pave sale on bike tires direct and bought some Diamante Pros 25mm. First time on a 25mm tire, will give them a try tomorrow.

I noticed the previous thread about psi on the Paves. Do the same air pressure recommendations carry over to the Diamantes? I guess what I am asking is does tpi have an impact on the psi I am running in a tire?

I am 155-160lbs and have always run 100f/110r on the Diamante Pros 23mm. It looks like I should try running them a bit lower PSI. They cleared my brakes with about 2-3mm of room on the drive side in the rear (Campy Chorus DP brakes). Front has plenty of clearance.

Next time the Paves go for sale I'll be sure to jump on it.

AngryScientist
09-25-2015, 10:04 PM
dont overthink it.

trial and error. pump them up then let the pressure drift over a few days and see how they feel with the decreased pressure.

CampyorBust
09-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I'm trying different PSIs actually thinking of going higher. First ride yesterday, 100f/110r - meh. It felt sluggish, I stopped more than once to check to see it my tire was rubbing on the frame or rim on the brakes. All clear. So far I am not impressed with the 25mm tires. :confused:

oldpotatoe
09-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks, I'm trying different PSIs actually thinking of going higher. First ride yesterday, 100f/110r - meh. It felt sluggish, I stopped more than once to check to see it my tire was rubbing on the frame or rim on the brakes. All clear. So far I am not impressed with the 25mm tires. :confused:

Are the Diamanté the Radiale' version?

CampyorBust
09-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Are the Diamanté the Radiale' version?

Nope just the regular Diamante Pros 220tpi folding bead.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Nope just the regular Diamante Pros 220tpi folding bead.

Just for info, as the Diamante is no longer offered by Vittoria(not sure if they just relabeled it a Rubino something)..'Radiale' version was a new technology that mirrored somewhat car tire radial construction but the tires felt really 'squirmy'...even with enough air so..kinda a soft 'recall' in the US, my distributor took them all back, and didn't sell anymore ..few years ago..so if you see a 'deal' on Diamante Radiale-I'd steer clear.

Aaron O
09-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Just for info, as the Diamante is no longer offered by Vittoria(not sure if they just relabeled it a Rubino something)..'Radiale' version was a new technology that mirrored somewhat car tire radial construction but the tires felt really 'squirmy'...even with enough air so..kinda a soft 'recall' in the US, my distributor took them all back, and didn't sell anymore ..few years ago..so if you see a 'deal' on Diamante Radiale-I'd steer clear.

I remember Miyata trying that too - odd feel.

54ny77
09-28-2015, 09:11 AM
I had a pair. Worst tires I'd ever ridden on, for the exact reason you mentioned. They felt squishy and always flat. Tossed 'em after 2-3 rides.

makoti
09-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Does anybody have experience with both? How do they compare?

I missed out on the Pave sale on bike tires direct and bought some Diamante Pros 25mm. First time on a 25mm tire, will give them a try tomorrow.

I noticed the previous thread about psi on the Paves. Do the same air pressure recommendations carry over to the Diamantes? I guess what I am asking is does tpi have an impact on the psi I am running in a tire?

I am 155-160lbs and have always run 100f/110r on the Diamante Pros 23mm. It looks like I should try running them a bit lower PSI. They cleared my brakes with about 2-3mm of room on the drive side in the rear (Campy Chorus DP brakes). Front has plenty of clearance.

Next time the Paves go for sale I'll be sure to jump on it.

FWIW, I weigh just about what you do, and on the Paves, I ended up liking 80F/90R. 25mm.

CampyorBust
09-28-2015, 02:12 PM
FWIW, I weigh just about what you do, and on the Paves, I ended up liking 80F/90R. 25mm.

Good to know thanks, I'll give it a go.

I noticed that they were discontinued the other day after purchasing the tires. Was there a recall? Will Vittoria take them back? I have been loyal to Vittoria for years and stick her stickers everywhere. (thats why I keep buying them -the stickers)

I thought I had good luck with the Diamante Pros 23mm for years now. I thought they were supple and nice. Albeit I have rendered at least 4 useless due to cut sidewalls, still like a lemming I keept buying them. Usually get 2 for around $60 and feel like I got a good deal. I have them on 4 bikes right now, I hang my head in shame. :o

So you guys mean to tell me I could be a bit faster on a different tire? Open Paves here I come!

Currently trying out a 28mm 4000s ii on a recumbent, a bit of an apples to cucumber sushi rolls comparison. Still they feel nice and very sticky, a bit like Velcro not sure I like that too much, they squeak and peel out a bit on high gradient climbs, that's more the nature of the bike than anything else.

Anyways looks like my Diamante purchasing days are over.:crap:

oldpotatoe
09-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Good to know thanks, I'll give it a go.

I noticed that they were discontinued the other day after purchasing the tires. Was there a recall? Will Vittoria take them back? I have been loyal to Vittoria for years and stick her stickers everywhere. (thats why I keep buying them -the stickers)

I thought I had good luck with the Diamante Pros 23mm for years now. I thought they were supple and nice. Albeit I have rendered at least 4 useless due to cut sidewalls, still like a lemming I keept buying them. Usually get 2 for around $60 and feel like I got a good deal. I have them on 4 bikes right now, I hang my head in shame. :o

So you guys mean to tell me I could be a bit faster on a different tire? Open Paves here I come!

Currently trying out a 28mm 4000s ii on a recumbent, a bit of an apples to cucumber sushi rolls comparison. Still they feel nice and very sticky, a bit like Velcro not sure I like that too much, they squeak and peel out a bit on high gradient climbs, that's more the nature of the bike than anything else.

Anyways looks like my Diamante purchasing days are over.:crap:

'Radiale' model, not 'Pro' model. No recall, Vittoria won't take them back.

Michon
10-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Was on 23mm Vittoria Diamante. Have switched to Conti GP 4000S II in 25 mm - LOVE it -- no comparison. (Running 100 PSI)

rccardr
10-03-2015, 02:45 AM
Rode Open Corsas for, well, years on all of my bikes but last year found them becoming too flat prone. Tried the Diamentes but hated the ride, just not feeling confident about how they responded to the road surface.

Tried a pair of the Rubino Pro III's @ 160 TPI and 110 pounds of air, and fell in love. FWIW I weigh around 193. Now have them on every bike.