PDA

View Full Version : Holland/ Belgium bike/ barge tour companies

dbrown
09-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Has anyone gone on any of these tours? My wife is interested in one for next summer. I've found several companies that are selling tours on the same boat on the same days, i.e. They must just be brokers? Also have found VBT and Backroads tours in the same areas. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Slow Eddie
09-25-2015, 06:35 PM
I've taken the VBT tour. It's fun, but don't expect to lay down the miles. They buy their mailing list from the AARP, and plan the daily mileage accordingly. That said, there are some opportunities to extend your day, but not as many as on the land-based trips as you generally have to be at point B at time Y or you will literally miss the boat.

If you can tack on one or both of the pre/post tour extensions, I found them to be as much, if not more fun than the tour itself. We did the Amsterdam extension; rented a dutch bike, rode all over the city, hit the museums, even found the shop that builds the bikes that our local importer brings in.

Overall, great scenery and riding; not hilly, but can be windy. Most everybody speaks some English, and VBT uses local guides so you will learn enough Dutch/Flemish to get by. The bikes are nothing special, but they get the job done. I brought my saddle and MTB shoes/pedals, but honestly for the amount of saddle time you'll be putting in, you'll be fine with whatever stuff is on the bike, and 5.10/Keen type riding shoes.

The beer and genever are excellent just about anywhere, as are the frites and waffles (Liege-style, natch). And if you happen to be riding on some cobbled farm roads on a cold, wet, windy day as happened on my trip, you get a real feel for what the Hard Men of the Classics go through each spring.

dbrown
09-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks. That is helpful. I didn't think there would be a lot of miles, but that is k for my wife.

bikinchris
09-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Cycletours Holland. Cannot give them a high enough recommendation. Small boat with about 26 beds. Decent days. We had one guide over our 4 trips that wasn't great. The otherc3 were awesome people who love to show off their country. Good Euro style breakfast, they suggest you pack a sandwich for lunch, then a very nice evening meal after your ride. The bikes you use are Gazelle hybrids with fenders and saddle bags.

dbrown
09-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank you. That is one of the companies we are considering. Do you remember the names of the barges you were on?

bikinchris
09-27-2015, 06:02 PM
We have done the Wending several times for the Southern Relax tours and I will have to get back to you on the barge we took from Bruge back to Amsterdam. Looked it up. It was the Liza Marleen.

Of course the word "barge" doesn't fit them today. it is more like a miniature cruise ship.