PDA

View Full Version : Acceptible price for used Colorado III

fooliog
05-16-2006, 11:44 AM
What’s an appropriate price range for a 2 year old Colorado III frame? Sposed to be in great shape, but I think it’s been raced and miles around 4k. I’m not too familiar with the brand or model and don’t want to over pay or lowball.

Big Dan
05-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Depending on condition and color the prices may differ. I sold a 3 or 4 year old with a Alpha Q fork for around $ 600 not too long ago. Maybe search on the completed auctions on ebay for a better gauge. good luck it's a great frame... :D

saab2000
05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
I got a used CIII with O2 fork and King headset for $571+ shipping. I thought I got a great deal. I think it is about 2 years old.

As with any used bike, make sure it has not been crashed, or if it has been that it is mechanically sound and straight/alligned properly.

Given what I have seen on Ebay for CIIIs they are good bikes, but not the hottest things on the market.

Depending on condition and any fork or headset I would say the top end would be around $700 incl. fork. That is based on what I paid and what I have seen on Ebay.

PS - For those who have followed mine, I wish it were a 57 instead of 58. But now I know. Any future Serotta purchase is much less of a gamble now that I know how their sizing really works.

Fixed
05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
bro one was on ebay a an hour ago it was 57 and it was at $500 last time i looked

Serotta PETE
05-16-2006, 02:02 PM
PS - For those who have followed mine, I wish it were a 57 instead of 58. But now I know. Any future Serotta purchase is much less of a gamble now that I know how their sizing really works.

I have a 57cm with your name on it...unless SANDY gets it first. :)

theprep
05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
What would a CIII with a brand new Serotta factory paint job go for?

fooliog
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
All good data points. Thanks!

Marcusaurelius
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
What’s an appropriate price range for a 2 year old Colorado III frame? Sposed to be in great shape, but I think it’s been raced and miles around 4k. I’m not too familiar with the brand or model and don’t want to over pay or lowball.

The frame on Ebay didn't meet it's reserve. I think $600 would be a reasonable amount. I think a CSI would go a bit higher.

saab2000
05-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I have a 57cm with your name on it...unless SANDY gets it first. :)

Is it stock geo with a level top tube? If so we can talk. If not, well.........

saab2000
05-16-2006, 08:14 PM
BTW, I bid on the 57 cm red CIII on ebay. The reserve was set too high I think. I don't know much about Kestrel forks and it might be a good one, but I like to get the fork which is designed for the bike.

I would have taken it if it had been cheap. But $600 for a frame without a Serotta fork is too much IMHO.

SoCalSteve
05-16-2006, 08:35 PM
The frame on Ebay didn't meet it's reserve. I think $600 would be a reasonable amount. I think a CSI would go a bit higher.

I would think a CSI would go for a great deal more.

I may have one for sale soon.

Steve

Fixed
05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
BTW, I bid on the 57 cm red CIII on ebay. The reserve was set too high I think. I don't know much about Kestrel forks and it might be a good one, but I like to get the fork which is designed for the bike.

I would have taken it if it had been cheap. But $600 for a frame without a Serotta fork is too much IMHO.
bro i was waching it too and thought the same
cheers

H.Frank Beshear
05-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm usually wrong, but didn't Serotta use Kestrel forks as the 2nd tier fork once upon a time? Someone will probably correct me I'm sure :D

mikemets
05-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm usually wrong, but didn't Serotta use Kestrel forks as the 2nd tier fork once upon a time? Someone will probably correct me I'm sure :D

I bought a 2001 C III that came with a, painted to match, Kinesis fork. When shopping for a used bike or f/f/hs I usually figure on about 40% of new, as a "fair value"

dbrk
05-16-2006, 09:03 PM
I would think a CSI would go for a great deal more. I may have one for sale soon.
Steve

I think we have all underestimated the impact of the carbon revolution. I honestly doubt a CSi will sell for more then 1K, no matter the condition, the fork, or the fancy paint. A CIII about $500-700 depending on the fork, paint, and size: popular sizes (54-57cm) sell more easily, stock sells better than custom. When you look at the depreciation from new, just a few years old and/or very few miles, you begin to see the slide. These bikes are not in "collector" league (yet?) and imho they will never fetch "Masi prices" (only certain Masi-s of course). The upside of this is that the bottom usually doesn't fall out. To wit, a very good to excellent condition RB-1 or RB-2 still fetches a price not far from the price six years ago! I still have a brand new RB-2 that I paid X for and know I could get the same X again---but it's not for sale, not because I expect it to be worth more but because I want it around.

Steel, lugged bikes have allll sorts of a good future but only very few will be worth more than half their original price on resale. At least that's what some considerable experience has shown me.

dbrk

Ken Robb
05-16-2006, 09:35 PM
yep--take the Ottrot that just sold (Dave T?) $3200+/- about $6000 retail with fork and headset--the first owner took a pretty big hit but the next owner(s) will probably be selling it in the same general range. Paying up to $1000 for a quality lugged steel frame with appropriate fork will have about zero downside risk as new ones aren't getting any cheaper and I think there will always be a demand for them no matter what is hot in the mass market.

slowgoing
05-16-2006, 09:43 PM

I bought a CIII that came with a Kestrel fork. The fork rides very well.

SoCalSteve
05-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I think we have all underestimated the impact of the carbon revolution. I honestly doubt a CSi will sell for more then 1K, no matter the condition, the fork, or the fancy paint. A CIII about $500-700 depending on the fork, paint, and size: popular sizes (54-57cm) sell more easily, stock sells better than custom. When you look at the depreciation from new, just a few years old and/or very few miles, you begin to see the slide. These bikes are not in "collector" league (yet?) and imho they will never fetch "Masi prices" (only certain Masi-s of course). The upside of this is that the bottom usually doesn't fall out. To wit, a very good to excellent condition RB-1 or RB-2 still fetches a price not far from the price six years ago! I still have a brand new RB-2 that I paid X for and know I could get the same X again---but it's not for sale, not because I expect it to be worth more but because I want it around.

Steel, lugged bikes have allll sorts of a good future but only very few will be worth more than half their original price on resale. At least that's what some considerable experience has shown me.

dbrk

If thats TRULY the case, then I will never sell my CSI!

Steve