PDA

View Full Version : Did You Ever Wonder?

CalfeeFly
05-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Almost everyday there is a post from someone doing a repair or change to their bike that could impact their safety or at the least their bike's ability to make it home. :bike: It is obvious from their post that they don't have any clue what they are doing and they didn't at least buy a book to follow the steps. :confused: I hear Zinn needs the money so at least buy his book! :p

I seem to read posts such as: :)

*I decided to overhaul my hubs. When I was taking them apart all these little steel balls started to roll around the floor. I can't find them all does it matter?

*I decided to buy a new fork. Can I cut it with a sharp steak knife? Does it matter if it is straight across?

*I was putting on my new carbon stem. I was really torqueing down on the bolts because I want it tight. There is a little crack now. Do I have to worry about that? Also the "line" in my new carbon handlebar do you think that is something to worry about? I noticed it after mounting my stem.

*I was having trouble loosening the rings on my FSA crank. For some reason the Allen bolts on it are shaped weird. I jammed an Allen Keys into each using a hammer and the bolts are rounding out. Do you have any other suggestions? (FSA uses Torx in case you never looked at one.)

*My wheel has a wobble. I bought one of those spoke wrenches. Can somebody tell me how to use it? My wheel got worse. To make up for it I readjusted my brakes (Shimano) using that little lever on side. Wow is that handy!

Can any of you come up with any other scenarios? I did exaggerate some but it is fun.

Do any of you just want to scream get to your LBS pronto or is it just me? Do any of you wonder how somebody can buy a $5,000 bike and not at least ask a wrench if they can watch the first time to learn about how to fix a bike or at the very least buy a book? Do any of you ever want to warn someone fooling around with headsets, hubs, carbon steerers etc. is not a great idea if you don't know what you are doing, have no instructions, have nobody to ask, and no torque wrench which is so needed with today's super lightweight parts. People can die from such experiences. Most folks don't just sit down and decide to reline the brakes on their car without any experience or knowledge. Granted a bike isn't as complicated but the consequences can be the same if you make a big enough mistake. Mistakes aren't that hard to make.

I like to work on my bikes. I bought Zinn's book and others, I keep all the company instructions from the boxes, I bought good tools and I stay within my limitations, and of course a stand is a big help. My skills are more than some and less than others. I still wouldn't get anywhere near a headset and carbon steerer even with a torque wrench. It was pretty hard to destroy a cro-mo steerer but those days are gone.

Is it just me are does anyone else think that it is good to either leave it to a professional or at least learn from them?

Ginger
05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
You mean there are people out there who don't do their own brake jobs?

e-RICHIE
05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Almost everyday there is a post from someone doing a repair or change to their bike that could impact their safety or at the least their bike's ability to make it home. :bike: It is obvious from their post that they don't have any clue what they are doing and they didn't at least buy a book to follow the steps.

Can any of you come up with any other scenarios? I did exaggerate some but it is fun.

"my bicycle wobbled at speed, but
it went away after i stopped riding."

CalfeeFly
05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Well I'd guess you would get more used to doing your own brake jobs in Detroit since the wheels are already off and the car on blocks when you go out in the morning. :p ;) Just a joke don't get mad.

csm
05-16-2006, 11:10 AM
buy the book. a book. or get a part-time job at a lbs.

CalfeeFly
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
"my bicycle wobbled at speed, but
it went away after i stopped riding."

Excellent!!! That is the spirit!

How about I decided to glue those tubular tires on my rims...can I use Crazy Glue since it dries faster?

:bike:

jerk
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
"i put three forks all with different yet stupid rakes on some hurting frame to see what would happen."

jerk

e-RICHIE
05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
"i put three forks all with different yet stupid rakes on some hurting frame to see what would happen."

jerk

whoa i heart that one atmo

CalfeeFly
05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
buy the book. a book. or get a part-time job at a lbs.

or just hang and help in one for free. Great people and great camaraderie...if not you are in the wrong shop... :p

csm
05-16-2006, 11:14 AM
excellent point.

CalfeeFly
05-16-2006, 11:16 AM

jerk

Jerk...you think you jest...a friend on the phone was telling me he was going to switch the fork that came with his Klein for a 7 year old Kestrel because the Kestrel cost a lot of money. Best yet the Klein is a compact and the Kestrel is on an old Litespeed. It took me one long time to convince him nicely it wasn't such a hot idea.

Johny
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
"I put little Pam Anderson on my stem to make it more stiff."

Johny
05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
"I will cycle around the world on flat-free tubulars."

Kevan
05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I was going to suggest that people try, in "Möbius band" fashion, placing a single twist to their bike's chain before connecting the two ends. This way the chain would receive a more even wear since both sides of the chain would equally greet the gearing.

Always thinking...